“Very good meal option in Anchorage, excellent atmosphere”
Review of Ginger

Ginger
Reserve with OpenTable
Ginger is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #12 of 879 Restaurants in Anchorage
Cuisines: Japanese, Thai, Contemporary
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: E St.
Transit: We are three blocks from the Anchorage Downtown Transit Center stop, and 1 block from another Egan Center bus stop.
Hong Kong, China
“Very good meal option in Anchorage, excellent atmosphere”
Reviewed June 6, 2013

I came into Ginger after a long day exploring in Anchorage. The staff were friendly and there was an excellent atmosphere with it being busy but not too noisy.

The drinks list was extensive and i had a couple of glasses of nice wine. There were a few nibbles provided before the meal and the portions were ample, I was stuffed after two courses! I had the tandoori chicken skewers and the Penang Curry. For me, both could have been a bit spicier, but that is personal preference. The flavours were good, and the meat seemed to be a high quality. I actually think the main course was too big and a little bit daunting, the table next to me also seemed to have very big plates. A little bit more finesse on the presentation and serving of the dishes would have made this 5 stars, especially as there are cheaper options available in the city

Some of the other dishes sounded interesting and there were a couple of specials to choose from.

However I was very pleased I visited Ginger and would go back again in the future. Definitely worth trying if you are in Anchorage

• Visited June 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Anchorage, Alaska
“Maybe my worst Anchorage dining experience!!”
Reviewed June 4, 2013

Visited Ginger tonight with my wife. We had a glass of wine, a margarita, jambalaya, scallops Mac 'n cheese and pommes frites.

Wife originally ordered the osso buco, but after a few minutes the waitress cam back and told us it was no longer on the menu (even though it was there in print?) The margarita was the worst I've had anywhere (way too much lime - to the point of puckering). No bread, rolls, or anything is offered before the meal (first time that has ever happened to me in a fine dining establishment).

Our entrees came and we informed the server we had not received our appetizer (pommes frites). They apologized and asked if we'd like them with the entree (free) and we agreed. Glad they were free. They were hot, but very limp/soft and the wasabi-mayo dip was so thin it wouldn't stick the fry.

Both our meals contained scallops. They were overcooked so to be tough and chewy.

The entrees were priced at $28 and $29 each. The drinks were "happy hour" $5 each. Servers were polite and friendly. Food a disaster.

• Visited June 2013
Seattle
“Fusion That Works”
Reviewed May 21, 2013

When you combine the incredibly fresh bounty of Alaskan seafood with an innovative Asian fusion chef good things can happen. Some really good things happened when we came in for dinner. Service by Brett was flawless (his incredibly deep and rich voice had the ladies in my party swooning and requests to reread to menu items!). I started off with a strawberry chile salad that was superfresh, supertasty, perfectly balanced, and just the right size to start. The fresh halibut special was simply roasted and served with coconut rice, grilled asparagus and a delicious corriander spiced fresh tomato sauce. From the moans of joy over the ginger jambalaya and the mree krob Thai noodles, I could tell that my colleagues were just as impressed as I was. Excellent meal in downtown Anchorage.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank John K
New York City, New York
“Tired traveler finds tasty treats .”
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Short rib sandwich...was very, very yummy . This was my first meal in Anchorage, and in addition to being tasty , the staff was very friendly .

Visited May 2013
Concord, California
“Great Asian Fusian Food in Anchorage”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I went to this restaurant after it was recommended by two different people. I debated between the Thai Shrimp Noodle Soup and the Beef Pho, so I asked the server which he recommended. He recommended the Beef Pho. The dish was excellent. Though the portion was not as generous as I am used to in San Diego and San Francisco, the broth was very tasty, and it came with a generous amount of very tender sliced beef. The only complaint I had was that unlike the other Pho I have had, it did not come out hot, so the bean sprouts that were brought separately did not cook after I added it to the soup. Otherwise, it was an excellent dish, and it is a restaurant I would return to. The service was excellent, and the restaurant has a very modern decor.

• Visited May 2013