“Loved the oyster po-boy but not the crowded setting”
Review of Gumbo House

Gumbo House
Ranked #164 of 889 Restaurants in Anchorage
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch
Neighborhood: Downtown
Reviewed May 5, 2013

During a business trip to Anchorage, some co-workers and I had lunch at the Gumbo House. As a former Anchorage resident, I always wanted to try this place but never quite got around to it.

We arrived at noon on a Friday to find the place packed. The restaurant is shoe-horned into an old original house situated on the north edge of the Park Strip. The proprietor has made use of every available cubic inch of space and luckily, we arrived just as another party was leaving. For those who have to wait, it's outside or go somewhere else (which on poor-weather days can be an issue).

That said, it was evident the staff was hustling to move the food and still not exude a sense of "please finish up and move along". We did have to wait about twenty minutes for our order, but the wait staff let us know that we hadn't been forgotten and our order was up next.

I chose the oyster po-boy ($12.25) and my co-workers opted for pulled pork and blackened shrimp po-boys, respectively.

Our sandwiches were served wrapped in white paper. They did not skimp on the oysters in my sandwich, and they were perfectly cooked. The mayonnaise had been augmented with a bit of a zing which added to the sandwich's savoriness. The bread was also a real winner here, I do not know who their baker is but as always, the roll is an integral part of the sandwich and the rolls at Gumbo House were excellent.

I chose the cole slaw side and thought it was fine, even though festooned with a few raisins.

A co-worker who, like me, had never visited the Gumbo House before loved his pulled pork sandwich, saying it was among the best he ever had. The other co-worker was once again quite pleased with the blackened shrimp sandwich that he has when he visits here.

They can't do much about the setting but with that said, I can certify that it would have been worth it had we needed to wait for an open table. This place is on my lunch list for my next visit to Anchorage.

Reviewed April 27, 2013

We reluctantly tried gumbo house, but it was great! Only drawback was the location and ambiance inside. I had the pulled pork poboy and the red beans and rice, both of which were incredible. The side of coleslaw was so-so... It had raisins on top! Raisins ruin everything, so I passed on the slaw and next time I'll try the potato salad. I will definitely be back soon. I just wish that restaurants in anchorage could have both good food AND nice ambiance... But sadly that combo eludes most restaurants here.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

On the corner of 9th and F streets, blocks from downtown, this is one of those small places that surprises you with delicious food, great service, and a family dining style atmosphere. I have eaten there several times, and it is quite a treat - I lived in Biloxi Mississippi for 3 years - I got familiar with the real deal Louisiana cuisine - and this is very authentic. The staff is friendly, and welcoming, and the place is clean. Built in an old house, it has alot of rooms, nooks and crannys, for a style of dining reminiscent of Thanksgiving dinner at your Aunts house.... a bit crowded, but a professional and courteous clientele that is polite - so it works. Given about 500 more square feet of space, this place would be a total 5-star, in my book! The food already is!

Reviewed March 9, 2013

This little place should be on your ANC must-eat list. Jambalaya was the BEST I ever had (I lived in New Orleans for a bit). Gumbo was awesome. Only place better was in N.O. They are friendly and the view is great.

Reviewed December 30, 2012

Basically the menu is comprised of poor boy sandwiches and gumbo. There are a variety of each to choose from, most are good and all are reasonably priced. The location is very convenient for those working downtown and thus the Gumbo House is a popular place for lunch.