“Inexpensive, no frills, free parking, near downtown” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Anchorage Downtown Hotel

Anchorage Downtown Hotel
Ranked #58 of 72 Hotels in Anchorage
Anchorage, Alaska
“Inexpensive, no frills, free parking, near downtown”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013

My husband and fly in and out of Anchorage several times a year and have stayed at six different hotels and B&Bs, ranging from the Capt. Cook (high end) to Day's Inn (low). We have chosen to return to this small hotel (about 20 rooms) four times. The price is excellent for Anchorage and I felt very safe. The rooms are about $100/nt as opposed to $200/nt at a Marriott Courtyard near the airport. To me, that $100 savings is worth quite a bit, as I just want a hotel for a bed and a shower. The location is in the downtown area, about 8 blocks from a lot of restaurants. You can walk in nice weather. Parking is free and the shuttle is, too, at certain times of year (ask). The rooms are quite small, about the size of a home's child's room, and crowded with a refrigerator, microwave, and full dresser (no desk or table and chairs). The continental breakfast is very modest: cold cereal and muffins, coffee, juice and fresh fruit. Some of the rooms have windows that open into a hallway instead of opening to the outdoors. So specify something you might not think you need to mention! Note: the hotel is not open year round and if you write or call for a reservation when it is closed, as I did last January, I did not get a response until I found the email address of the owner and wrote him directly. This hotel is not for everybody, but certainly a good value if you plan to be out and about during the day.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in which the windows open outside, not onto the hallway.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Loveland, Colorado
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013

The descriptions found online regarding this hotel are very misleading. Most favorable reviews have to be written by owners or staff, or are old and no longer applicable. I can’t imagine anybody actually enjoying this place very much.

We made reservations here, one for the beginning and one for the end of our trip. The hotel offers shuttle service. Upon arrival at the airport, I called them. An employee at the hotel rudely informed me that check-in wasn't until 3:00. I thought she wasn't going to send the van for my wife and I until then. She treated me as if I was wasting her time, then finally said she would pick us up. She showed up and was nicer, telling us that there is only one employee at the hotel and that they have to simultaniously run the front desk and shuttle service. This explains her inital attitude.

We checked in. Our room was dirty and dark. Nothing like the photos. It stunk like smoke. The clerk said they allow people to pay a $500 fine to smoke in the rooms. Odd. Seems smoking outside would be just a tad cheaper and almost as convenient.

The carpet in the room was sticky and stained, the bathroom was dirty, we couldn't tell if the sheets on the bed had been changed. It’s one of those places you don't want to take your shoes off in.

The foyer was gross. The dining counter there hadn't been washed in ages, even though this is where guests eat breakfast every day. Rub a napkin along the counter and it looks as if you just wiped a dirty car. It was that unbelievably dirty.

The following morning we left and enjoyed the rest of our trip.

At the end of our trip, we arrived back at the hotel early, less than two hours prior to check in time, for our final reservation. We asked the manager for a parking card, and were reminded we were there before check-in. We left to kill time so we could come back and check in.

When we came back to check in we could not. There was no employee available; the manager, who was the only guy working there, was gone. A sign said he was at the airport and would be back in 20 minutes. My wife was sick, needed to rest. After waiting 40 minutes, nobody showed up, and finally we left. It is ridiculous that we were waiting that long at a hotel to access our reservation, to get into our room, and there was nobody around to help. I've never experienced such a thing anywhere else.

We found a room elsewhere, and immediately cancelled our reservation with Anchorage Downtown Hotel via e-mail, fully explaining within the cancellation why we had to leave. We were there, they were not.

I’ve just learned that management there not only charged us for that day, the day they were not available to assit us, but charged us double the original amount, even though I sent the cancellation explaining that we were there to check in, and we had waited for the better part of an hour for them to return, but they were not available, they were gone. They were not there to do their job, they were "no-show", and now they have taken money from us, more than they were ever entitled to.

They not only provided poor customer service, but provided no service at all. Instead of accepting that as their mistake and correcting their practices to better serve their customers, they vengefully charged our credit card with no authorization from us at all. And not only did they charge for the day in question, they arbitrarily charged double the original amount. Ridiculous and pathetic! I am working with my CC company to recover the money. Don't know if I'll be successful.

This hotel is filthy and dank, has poor customer service (if you can get service at all) and management is dishonest, as well.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank J B

Travelers are raving about these Anchorage hotels

ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

Our party of four arrived in Anchorage on August 1, 2013. Both couples found the rooms to be totally unacceptable. The rooms were very small and smelly and there was no place to put your suitcases. The tipping point was the pillow cases that covered only two-thirds of the pillows!! We were so disgusted that we informed the front desk that we could not stay in these rooms and asked for a settlement. We ended up having to pay the full fare for the night. We were able to find rooms at The Captain Cook which was very nice. We are very experienced travelers and found this to be the worst hotel experience ever!

Room Tip: There are no good rooms in this hotel!! If you don't believe me, read the other recent reviews.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank fmrsgnl
San Antonio, Texas, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2013

The good. Airport shuttle was free and was there timely as they stated. They also took us to our destination the next morning (train station). That just about wraps up the good.

The bad. Took us 45 minutes to check in. Mind you we were a day late in checking in, (which they were aware of). This was at about 1230 at night, so its not like it was busy. This hotel IS NOT ADA accessible. Not the end of the world, however one person in our party has some mobility issues. While I'm not totally sure on the legality, the morality of it would be to post this on your website. Someone tried to come into our room around 130. Luckily we had the deadbolt fastened. Offered to change our room, but what was the point? Internet is terrible. The breakfast is edible. that's about all I can say about it. You have to eat in the lobby around the windows. Forget eating at a real table with your group. Forget about eating with your spouse. I know this is a boutique hotel, so I'm not expecting the world, but the marketing for this hotel is a bit misleading in various areas.

Was told the next morning that the manager would call my wife. Its been 6 weeks and I'm still waiting on this call. Also emailed the hotel to get a receipt as I never received one. I"m still waiting for this too.

Spend the extra money and go anywhere else in Anchorage. Made our trip start on a terrible basis. Luckily things only got better from there.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Adam R
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

Beds killed my back Tried both of the queens in my room, both horrible, Old and need replacing, Bathroom moldy, Must live out of your suitcase, Internet sucks, area sucks, drunks walking around, For the price, sleep in your car!

• Stayed July 2013
4 Thank soccerstudly
AD_Hotel, Manager at Anchorage Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Hello:
I am sorry to hear that your stay with The Anchorage Downtown Hotel was unpleasant. We are under new Management, and we are striving each and everyday to make our Guests hotel accommodations as comfortable and pleasant as possible. A lot of upgrades have taken place since your stay with us; and we would really love to have you as a guest again in the near future. This will be our First year being open "year round" We are also participating in both Weekly, and Monthly accommodations during the Winter months. Thank you again for providing a review on TripAdvisor.com.

Regards,
Amy R.
Willich
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013

The hotel description on the hotel webpage and booking.com is false. No free airport shuttle this costs 15 dollars The breakfast room as depicted with tables does not exist only a board on the reception wall can be used in the celler. When I asked on the 11.05.2013 about the 24 hour reception I was told we dont have that it ended about 10:30 pm Rooms very small advice do not pay before seeing management ignores complaints

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank PeterWillich
Prague, Czech Republic
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2012

So I was here in November 2012 for a week, one good tip if you gonna checkin after 10pm than let the Hotel know in advance I coudnt get in after this hour and had to checkin into a another Hotel for my first night. But after all the Room and Place has been great aswell the Breakfast was alright, so for the wintertime the Hotel is pretty good dont know how it is at the Summer Time, but its like 1 min by foot till you will get to the Downtown.
So for sure I would recommend this Hotel as the Staff there was pretty friendly to me and the Room was neat and the Roomrate was alright aswell (for Alaska prices).
For sure you can go to the Marriott just next to it but be prepared to pay over 200$ per night and the Breakfast/Internet is not included in the Rate. So I think I have chosen it alright the Anchorage Downtown Hotel, and anyway you will spent most of the time outside and explore Alaska so the Hotel is alright for that.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo