“Charming boutique in Downtown”

Anchorage Downtown Hotel
Ranked #60 of 74 Hotels in Anchorage
Reviewed July 6, 2012

After deciding to take an impromptu trip to Anchorage, my fiancé and I decided to stay at this wonderful boutique hotel. Seeing as this trip was last minute, I was surprise to see this hotel had availability for a great deal.

The hotel was only a few blocks from the busy downtown bars and restaurants, we didn't spend more than $8 taking a cab to several different locations. The front desk is quite helpful with any questions we had. They offer a continental breakfast daily (bagels, muffins, cereal, coffee, and tea)

The rooms are quite small, though they utilize the space well. Honestly, I didn't have a problem with the size of the room for the two nights that we had stayed. Their queen bed was comfortable.

However, I recommend getting room either one the 1st or 2nd floor since there is no elevator. Also, our room faced their parking lot which made it easy to get our luggage there but people could easily see into our room. We had to keep the curtains closed for most of the 2 days.

It's a charming little gem in Anchorage that Id definitely stay at again.

Room Tip: Get a 1st or 2nd floor room.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Anchorage Downtown Hotel

Reviewed June 25, 2012

We choose Anchorage Downtown hotel for the last two nights of our tour through Alaska that lasted three weeks in which we stayed in more than a dozen different hotels and B&B's. Its location combined with the affordable price made us decide to book this hotel using internet. We did not expect nor wanted "the Royal Palace". Clean sheets, reasonably quiet at night and a bathroom is the standard for any 2 star or higher ranked hotel, isn't it?? During the first night, our toilet did not work properly (we spare you the details) so we reported this issue to the front desk person and left the hotel for more than 10 hours to do some hiking. Returning to our hotel, we were surprised (to put it mildly) to find out that the issue had not been solved (and after contacting the front desk again) not even had been tackled. It became quickly clear that this problem is a reoccuring one (we overheard staff talking about "that toilet again") however to both staff and management, it seemed not urgent enough to solve.
We are convinced the manager will write an apology in which he explains that the quality and comfort of his guest his top priority but he and his staff need to be potty trained. In other words, fix the G..damn toilet in room 111 and listen to a simple question of a guest if it comes to your attention. We were unable to book a room in another hotel (we tried with help of the lovely front desk staff of the neighboring Clarion Suites) because all of Anchorage was booked solid. We rather sleep on a bench in the park than one more night in this place that calls itself the Anchorage Downtown hotel

Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MMBonaire
Reviewed May 11, 2012 via mobile

The first night we stayed we hadn't realized that the window needed a bit of convincing before it would open so the room got pretty hot, but after we figured it out the place was great. The beds are big and clean, the room was clean and the shower was nice. Breakfast wasn't spectacular but it tasted fine. One of the staff just started working there and wasn't yet up to speed with all the ins and outs of the hotel, but the staff was always polite and very helpful.

• Stayed: May 2012
Reviewed April 22, 2012

I stayed four nights and it was wonderful. The hotel is super homey, small, clean and smells great! (I've been to hotels who just smelled disgusting from cigarettes and gnarly carpet). We came into the room it was a little on the small side but the bed was comfy, clean, made nicely, and the bathroom was super cute even though it was on the small side. We had a 55 inch flat screen Samsung tv in our room that worked great. The continental breakfast was a little on the lighter side but i'm not a big breakfast eater. I've payed over $100 for other hotels and they were much crappier than this one. This place is great for $60 that I payed. I would recommend 100%.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 20, 2012

I thought quite a bit about how I would review this hotel while I was there because it would be perfect for some, but not for others.

I had a great 4-day stay in the off-season, when I was in from Nome, AK, for a conference at the Marriot. The Marriot rooms were $189; here they were $80, yet just a few blocks from the Marriot and downtown. Great location!

It is an old building that the owners have spruced up nicely - but obviously on a budget. No elevator, inexpensive furniture, very small rooms, tiny bathrooms without hairdryers, no desk or sitting area. In winter the continental breakfast was cold cereal, coffee and an apple; it might be more in the summer but dining area is very limited. But none of these things were worth paying $100/night more for. And the room came with a small fridge, a microwave oven and a coffee maker.

There doesn’t appear to be centralized heating, which I liked, as most hotel rooms are ungodly hot. Instead the room was equipped with a small portable electric radiator, which worked fine once you got down on your knees to figure out how it worked. I had to pop the screen out to get the window closed as the crank didn’t work, but I’m very accustomed to things like this.

What I most loved about my stay was the bed! They have just put in new pillow-top mattresses and it was better than home! The sheets were not a super-high thread count but the down comforter was soft and snuggly. I slept so well that the lack of sound-proofing didn’t bother me.

Lying in bed one morning I heard the alarm go off in another room, the shower in another, a (personal) blow dryer in another, but somehow they weren’t intrusive and seemed more like sounds in a home.

Here’s the caveat: I had a great room location; third floor, corner room. I like a window and privacy more than space. There are interior rooms where the window looks into the glassed-in hallway. This is not for me! And there are ground floor rooms that are partially below ground, where car headlights in the parking area beam right in. Argh! If I’d been in either of these situations the hotel would only be getting one star. So be forewarned if you’re planning to stay here, and request a room that best meets your needs.

I will be recommending this hotel to friends, and I will definitely be returning, but ONLY if I can get rooms 310, 311, 312 or 313; preferably 312 if traveling with my husband, or 313 if it’s only me. I’d accept the equivalent rooms on the second floor if I had no other choice. I didn’t see any of the rooms at the other end of the hotel so I can’t speak to those.

I hope this review helps. I wanted to be detailed because I want people to be happy with their choices. If your expectations are of something that feels like the Sheraton, Marriot or other big name hotels, this isn’t for you. But it is a great choice for those seeking affordability, location, and small-scale comforts.

Room Tip: I will be recommending this hotel to friends, and I will definitely be returning, but ONLY if I can...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank suesteinacher
Reviewed December 30, 2011

Found this place by accident... when every other hotel was asking outrageous price (yes, we came to town without reservations!!) we found this charmer! Beds were great (we had 2 rooms next 2 each other) Granted the windows opened onto the parking lot (we were below ground) so that wasn't great, but the price was wonderful and the 3 of us loved this place. Great art! We had a look at the upstairs rooms and those looked even better! Reception baked us chocolate chip cookies and gave us glasses to drink our wine from. Will def. stay here again! We did have a car, and i would recommend a car if you are staying here as it isn't that convenient for walking. But as a base, great place!

Room Tip: Downstairs rooms have no view and windows open to parking lot.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 20, 2011

Was in town for Office Christmas party and dint want to spend alot of money for a quick sleep and many rooms around where already booked for the weekend.
Looked clean and offered a $60 Queen and free shuttle to and from downtown where we needed to go parking was $7 so less then 1/2 off compared to normal $20.
Was a little tough getting to with 1 way streets and parking was tight .
When called to reserve stated all they had was 2 twins they would give us for same price but when we arrived got us a King for $75.
Room was very small not much walking around room but bed was pretty comfortable Tv was New Large and had good channels, Bathroom was clean Water Pressure Excellent with a rain shower head ! Was a little noisy on occasion from other room and water sounds.
Got a little warm couldnt find a thermostate control but there was a ceiling fan
And untill I thought about turning it on I didnt notice the collection of dust bunnies and a broke bulb cover. I didnt turn it on cause well I didnt want them in bed with me.
They did provide us with a quick shuttle to and from that was quick and driver nice and free botteled water they had a breakfast but ended before we got down there.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple