“Fantastic bear viewing trip”
Review of Alaska Air Taxi

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Alaska Air Taxi
Iowa City, Iowa
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Fantastic bear viewing trip”
Reviewed June 11, 2013

I've done the day-long Lake Clark fly-in bear viewing trip twice now with Alaska Air Taxi--once in 2005 on my honeymoon and once in 2012 when my brother and I took my father to Alaska for his 75th birthday. My wife and I had a fantastic experience the first time, and to my great surprise, the second time was even better. You fly in on a small plane and land on the beach. The island was apparently homesteaded by a few families in the 1940s or 1950s, and they now have basically the only developed properties on the island, which is now a national park (the third least visited one in the country, I believe). These lodges employ the guides, and they're exceptionally friendly and professional. They lead you on foot and in ATV trailers. We saw maybe a half dozen bears feeding on clams in the surf--they scatter when the plane lands--and more in the meadows adjacent to the beach. You get served lunch (salmon salad, fresh baked cookies, etc.) in one of the lodges. (The lodges and guides are not affiliated with Alaska Air Taxi, but everything works seamlessly.) I literally got within about 10-12 feet of brown bears and never ever felt in any sort of danger. (The attached picture was taken with my iPhone without any zoom.) Finally, I would say that Alaska Air Taxi's trip is a very good value compared to other companies. All in all, this is a great experience.

Visited August 2012