“Haven't been in a while”

Midnight Sun Brewing Co.
Book In Advance
More Info
$209.00*
and up
Anchorage Bike and Brewery Tour
Ranked #47 of 230 things to do in Anchorage
More attraction details
Owner description: Home of Anchorage's oldest and boldest brewery. Open daily, 11 am to 8 pm, serving award-winning beers and great food. Also offering beer to-go in growlers, bottles, cans and kegs, as well as an array of beer apparel and glassware.
Reviewed October 25, 2012

...mostly because I've been too busy to get to that part of town. However, the draw just isn't there like it used to be. I don't know what it is...I do love MSBC and they have some really great lunch specials throughout the week. I guess they used to get marketed more through twitter and FB and I could see, on my phone, what the lunch offering was that day and it may or may not draw me to drive into town to go check it out. But it seems like they aren't in touch with their customers as much anymore. I rarely know what new beer is about to be released or what new beers or series of beers might be in the works. these are things that MSBC used to do to keep customers anticipating and craving the next release. It seems to have gone by the wayside to the point that I haven't really bought any new MSBC beers in a while. I wait for the regular releases of Berserker, Arctic Devil, etc. and scoop up a case when I know it's been released, but other than that, I really haven't been to the brewery for any other reason. And we used to go all the time.

All reviews
"teens"
"alaska"
in 10 reviews

Reviewed October 21, 2012

I'm local. Midnight Sun used to be on Arctic Blvd, about a 4 block walk from my home. We liked to strool up there on a Friday or Saturday afternoon. Try a sample or two, get a couple of growlers filled up (a 1/2 gallon glass jug that can be filled at a local pub or brewery) and walk home. They expanded to their current location on Dimond Hook Drive and I was very excited for them and looked forward to finding an excuse to drive there, sample some food and fill our growlers.

The first time we went was a Saturday morning for brunch. We expected a full house, but, I had been hearing nice things about the food and knew the brew would be good. Service was on the slow side, but it was busy and I only saw one server but he had some help bringing out food. My daughter had the Elvis peanut butter, banana sandwich, my wife the patoto chedder soup and I had the french dip. All were good, not remarkable, but, hot and tasty. We felt we'd be back, the brew is good, the food is good, the service was "meh". But, I could tolerate it for the brew and food.

The second time we went was a Saturday afternoon between 2 & 3. After seating ourselves "anywhere you like", we waited nearly 10 minutes, then the young lady behind the bar came and took our drink orders, asked if we wanted to eat and we said yes. She said she would send (server) over. We got our drinks and settled on what we wanted to eat. Two servers were working. I made eye contact at least three times with each, and even raised my hand to wave one over once. That man nodded and put his finger up in the air, as if saying "One minute". In the meantime, these two servers took orders from people that came in after us, put away glassed, cleaned the reader board and did a great job of staying away from our table. More than 30 minutes after getting our beer, I was tired of being ignored and went to the bar to pay our tab for the beers. The lady at the bar said you don't want to eat? I told her we have been waiting over 40 minutes and no one even spoke to us. Let me pay and go. She went to one of the servers, he came over and apoligized and asked us to stay. I said no, he and the other server had ignored us, served people around us and I was took angry to stay. We wanted to pay for our beers and go, he told the bar lady to put our drinks on him. The gesture was accepted, but, it will be a long time before I go back again, if ever. I can buy growlers of Midnight Sun several places, and bottles of it at any grocery or liquor store. I don't have to eat a cup of soup or sandwich in a brewery loft to experiance their wares with lousy service.

Love your brew Midnight Sun. Your loft service is crap.

1  Thank AKChawker
Reviewed October 20, 2012

LOVE the tour! My husband does this a few times a year with his friends. If you're visiting from out of town and you're a beer lover, Midnight Sun is a must! Even if you can't catch the tour, it's a great place for dinner or light bites and a few beers!

Reviewed September 11, 2012

Trying to eat up a bunch time due to an extended lay over. We sought out this little gem of Anchorage culture. A bit difficult to find, thank goodness for GPS, we finally found our destination. We tried one of their sampling boards $6 for four different brews. They all were very tasty. The upstairs bar was filled with locals. They had a pretty cool menu but we didn't eat anything. Worth seeking out