“Excellent Service”

Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Reviewed September 21, 2012

On a whim, a group of 6 of us ate at the Crow's Nest for my husband's birthday. We sat in the corner room with a beautiful view of the city. My husband wasn't in the mood for a fancy dinner and stated he just wanted a Philly Cheesesteak. The waiter asked the chef, since it was his birthday, and he was given the most gourmet and delicious cheesesteak he's ever eaten! Now that's service.

1  Thank Anne K

Reviewed September 15, 2012

Pros:
1. The view is great, from every table.
2. The service is attentive and they cater to custom dietary needs very well
3. Great wine list, including by the glass options
4. The steak / seafood is incredible!

Cons:
1. You pay a little extra for the view, but it's worth it!
2. The portions are a little small for the price
3. Limited entree options

Suggestions:
1. Get a reservation, it is busy every evening!
2. Order the soups, they are great (especially the king crab yellow curry)
3. Avoid the mixed drinks. They know wine, not cocktails so much.

Reviewed September 14, 2012

We started with two Belverdere martinis, up. I've only had a better martini at one place in the world: my house. The martini was a very generous pour (my size!), nice ice crystals and poured from the shaker, table side. Oh la la: What a perfect way to start our 15th anniversary dinner! 1st course: garlic soup, oh my my, delectable! We split the duck, which was not perfect, but close. What the Crow's Nest does - that I've never seen before - is they offer (for a nominal extra charge) a split entree with embellished (volume) sides, which makes splitting that much more perfect.

Beyond all this, I've never see a more engaged, active Sommelier. We ordered an old vine zinfandel, and most wait staff don't know that a red zin should be slightly chilled. Ours didn't; but she was savvy enough to ask for help from the Sommelier. He dropped the bottle in an ice bucket (and got it out) for the perfect amount of time. I watched him engage patrons at other tables. He stayed busy, he worked the tables and executed his expertise. He's the best wine steward that I've ever seen!

The views. OMG the views. Cook Inlet and the sunset to the west. Chugiak Mountains to the east. Unsurpassed views: no dining facility ANYWHERE has better.

The only negative was the Maitre D'. We made a reservation on OpenTable, she couldn't find it and acted like it was our fault. She finally did, acted like we were an imposition, never apologized and worse: never smiled or said please thank you or any common courtesy that Mother taught us all. We went back a couple of weeks later and she had the same unfriendly demeanor. This ain't New York folks, snooty attitude detracts, it doesn't enhance the dining experience!

1  Thank LesDye
Reviewed September 10, 2012

Excellent food, excellent service. I was here with a large group and they seated us in a lower, separate area so we didn't bother other guests. Really just enjoyed the whole meal.

Reviewed September 6, 2012

The first night of our 7 day land tour of Alaska my wife and I ate at Crows Nest atop The Captain Cook Hotel. The Salmon was excellent as was the view of the sunset. This was my 3rd trip to the Crows Nest and if I return to Anchorage I will eat there again! Ate at the bar this time and had a lovely conversation with a beautiful young lady from Russia who was visiting looking for work. She said most young Russians want to come to the USA for all the opportunties here.