“Overrated”
Review of Orso

Orso
Reserve with OpenTable
Orso is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 879 Restaurants in Anchorage
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Bar scene, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: G
Transit: We are one block from the 6th avenue transit center.
Description: ORSO is well known as "The Place to Be." ORSO's New American cuisine expertly pairs delicious local flavors with the ever changing seasons of Alaska. ORSO is well known for a large selection of Alaskan seafood, grilled meats, award winning wine list and the best local ingredients when available. Happy hour everyday 3pm-6pm and 9pm to close! The bar is open one hour after the dining room each day!
Boston, Massachusetts
“Overrated”
Reviewed February 14, 2013

I've been to Orso probably a dozen times, always with friends who just rave about the food and call it the "only nice restaurant in Anchorage," but I continually have to disagree with the assessment. The food is only mediocre - not particularly imaginative, but also not well executed in the classic sense, leaving me perpetually unsatisfied. Though it tries to have an Italian theme while incorporating Alaskan specialties, the two don't go particularly well, and dishes are generally bland yet overly complicated at the same time. They use a lot of goat cheese to cover up an otherwise unstimulating dish. I will say that the cocktails at the bar are fun and delicious, and the scene there can be great on a weeknight, but the food is completely overrated.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank Moira S

Valdez, Alaska
“Best food in town”
Reviewed February 6, 2013

Best food in town, they have two menus, I think their winter menu is best!

Costco sells gift cards, swing by and get a few to use, saves you $20 for every $100, and will spend that much. Bar is really nice too, and open late with a late night happy hour!

Visited October 2012
Plattsburgh, New York
“Warm atmosphere, friendly service, great wine”
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Attracted by their warm decor and wine list, I have enjoyed Orso restaurant four times in the past few months. The crab cakes are hands down the best I have had in Alaska: high crab content, low fillers, well balanced flavors and perfectly fried. If you are a seafood lover, I would also recommend a cup of their chowder. I found their chowder to contain a nice quantity of shrimp, salmon and crab along with potato, bacon and red pepper in a not too heavy cream sauce. I am advised that Orso is better known for it's seafood, not their meat, but I have to admit I found their Mediterranean lamb sliders had more of a wow factor than their salmon dish. The lamb sliders are basically little lamb meatloaf patties, served on a sweet roll with tzatziki sauce, sweet tomato basil chutney and kalmata olives. It is not an amazing dish, but I will certainly order it again. I did find the dish had a great balance of sweet, savory and salty with bold flavors - and that I suppose it what I remember about it the most. The salmon (Cedar baked King) on the other hand was not memorable and frankly, rather bland. Consideration should be given though, as every one has a preference of one type of salmon over another. I LOVE deep red meaty Sockeye salmon and am considerably less fond of King salmon. It was cooked well and I did enjoy the sides of broccolini and israeli couscous.

Overall I feel this restaurant is very good yet the staff deserve a full five star, excellent review. I have viewed some servers to occassionally act unprofessionally as if they 'forgot' they are in public and that their job is to SERVE - texting frequently, not being attentive to water levels in your glass, bouts of drama etc. I can not think of one moment Orso's staff behaved as such. They seem to work well together and continued to deliver service with a smile. Much appreciated!

• Visited January 2013
Phoenix
“Average- but popular”
Reviewed January 31, 2013

One of those places that people like to go to that has passable food- a bit too greasy for my taste. Have been here several times, and it is- at best -ok

Visited January 2013
Prescott, Arizona
“Intimate but not over done or over priced.”
Reviewed January 30, 2013

This place stays open between lunch and dinner so it is the perfect spot to go if you like eating that time of day. I appreciate the quiet that you get when places aren't packed. Food was superb and the waiter we had was very attentive. Best thing was the calamari. So tender I could cut it with a fork. Dessert was awesome to look at as well as to eat. They are connected to the Brew house next door so if you want a special beer or cream soda, be sure and ask.

• Visited January 2013

Been to Orso? Share your experiences!