“Good, but not as good as I expected”
Review of Glacier Brewhouse

Glacier Brewhouse
Reserve with OpenTable
Glacier Brewhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #12 of 897 Restaurants in Anchorage
Cuisines: American, Pizza, Seafood
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: H
Transit: We are one block from the 6th Avenue bus terminal.
Description: You will know the moment you walk in that this is not your typical brew pub. The scent of the alder wood grill and wood fired oven, the energy of the sparking exhibition cooking line and the glow of the brewery delight your senses. The BrewHouse features rotisserie grilled meats, the freshest Alaskan seafood, wood fired pizza and award winning hand crafted ales. Our friendly, energetic wait staff also offer gluten free and vegetarian options. Join us for brunch on the weekend, and bring the whole family anytime. The BrewHouse is Anchorage’s downtown landmark restaurant-“Where Alaskans meet Alaskans”. We appreciate your feedback, please let us know how we performed. Thank you, we hope to see you soon.
Reviewed August 16, 2013

For our last evening in Alaska, we tried the Glacier Brewhouse, based on some recommendations from Anchorage locals. While the food was good, it didn't live up to the expectations I had based on the personal recommendations and the positive reviews here on Tripadvisor.

First, I'll say that the restaurant is visually quite stunning. The interior is beautiful and well laid-out, with beautiful wood and interesting archetictural elements. It's a very pleasant environment.

Though the food is good, it doesn't live up to the high standards set by the physical appeal of the restaurant. Don't get me wrong, you'll get a good meal, but based on what I had heard, how incredibly busy the place always is, and how stunning the place looks, I expected an OUTSTANDING meal, and it was not that.

As might be expected of an Anchorage restaurant, the menu has a good representation of fish and seafood items, though meat lovers will find plenty that appeals to them as well. The food (especially the seafood) is very fresh, but the preparation isn't particularly creative. The food tastes good, but it's not memorable. In fact, less than a week after eating there, I'm racking my brain to even remember what we chose off the menu for dinner!

The service was, at best, average, and not really in keeping with what one might expect from a restaurant in this class. Our server was not particularly knowledgeable, responsive, or professional, and she wasn't well-equipped to answer questions about the menu choices or to help make a selection. Perhaps she was just new and the other servers are better, but I don't know.

For a brewhouse, I wasn't particularly impressed with the beer either. Alaska seems like a place where beer is taken seriously, and it's one of those places that has a disproportionate number of really good craft breweries/brewpubs, but I didn't think the beer here was up to the standards of other places I had tried in Alaska. Again, it was good, but not quite up to expectations.

This is a popular place where the waits for a table tend to be really long if one doesn't have a reservation, and I think it's something of a default choice among many visitors and residents when thinking of a place to eat in downtown Anchorage. I get the sense they're riding that popularity and slacking on quality a bit, because they can. This place does draw large crowds, of all kinds. It seems that this is a popular dining destination for cruise ship patrons visiting Anchorage. On a different note, the party seated next to us consisted of what seemed to be two "professional women" (and I'm not talking about accountants or lawyers here) and a trashy little guy who seemed to be either their "client" or their "employer," if you know what I mean and I think you do, who were living it up and behaving somewhat inappropriately, which didn't make for the most pleasant dining experience. Not the restaurant's fault of course, but just an illustration that the place seems very popular with most crowds that have a little money to spend, and it seems like they might feel that they don't have to work as hard as other places to earn that money.

As far as the prices go, while this is not a cheap places (few if any nice restaurants in Anchorage are cheap), I was actually somewhat surprised that the prices were not higher. The prices are quite reasonable compared to other upscale Anchorage places, especially considering how much capital the owners must have invested in the place to have such a beautiful restaurant. This may be one of the reasons why the place is as crowded as it is.

In short, I'd consider eating there again the next time I find myself in Anchorage, though it probably wouldn't be my first choice.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,975)

Reviewed August 15, 2013

As an amateur beer aficionado, my husband was keen to try the Brewhouse. We dropped in for lunch and were surprised by the crowds -- we soon found out why.

After a drink at the bar, we were lucky to nab a table for two overlooking the huge brewers kettles and could watch them at work as we tasted the fruits of their labours and then enjoyed delicious burgers.

We were surrounded by people enthusiastically enjoying Alaskan King Crab and if either of us ate seafood, we probably would've been too!

It was a great bustling atmosphere, staff were busy, but polite and efficient. The interior decor is rustic and well suited to the large space.

It was an easy walk from our accommodation in downtown Anchorage.

Reviewed August 15, 2013

First off, I must say thank you to my fellow Trip Advisor reviewers as you helped me find this place. I was on a Princess Cruise tour that stopped for lunch in Anchorage. As our bus was approaching our stop I had my Trip Advisor App up on my phone so I could watch for the best places close by, and fortunately we drove right past this place!

I had the raspberry wheat beer and my husband had the amber, both excellent. I was pleased at the subtlety of the raspberry. Sometimes fruity beers can be a little too fruity to me. We also tried their IPA at a different restaurant later and that was also really good. For lunch we had the crab and artichoke dip, I had an entrée wedge salad with salmon, and my husband had I believe a shredded beef sandwich (I can't remember exactly since he ate it and didn't share much of it!). It was all really good. Great value for the quality too.

If you like beer this should be a must do place if you are in Anchorage.

Reviewed August 14, 2013

Very nice restaurant and brewery. Had halibut, salmon expensive but excellent. Great beer (IPA on cask that night). Busy place. You can make OpenTable reservations and I'd recommend it.

You can order less expensive pub food as well (sandwiches, pizza).

Reviewed August 13, 2013

The food was great try the pizza or the wood fired items! Service was a little slow but they were really busy. Make a reservation!

Been to Glacier Brewhouse? Share your experiences!