“introduced some old time Alaskans” 4 of 5 bubbles

Snow City Cafe
Ranked #3 of 867 Restaurants in Anchorage
Cuisines: American, Cafe, Soups
Good for: Dining on a budget, Kids, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Delivery, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Montesano, Washington
“introduced some old time Alaskans”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2014

We took some old time Alaskans to Snow City Café. They had never been there. We had to wait about 30+ minutes for a table for four. The food was fabulous. They both ordered the eggs benedict and cleaned their plates. We ordered the polar bear breakfast: I had fried eggs with French toast and my husband ordered scrambled with a pancake. All four of us walked away very satisfied.
The menu is extensive, so ask to peruse a menu while you are waiting for your table. Hot beverages can be ordered at the beverage bar while you are waiting for your table. Or you can read the paper or look through the various pamphlets that are in the Artic entry.

Visited February 2014

• Korean first
Fairbanks, United States
“My meal was amazing while my husband's was disappointing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2014

We had heard great things about Snow City and read other good reviews. So we finally got to try it on a visit to Anchorage two weeks ago. While my meal of stuffed french toast was the best I've ever had, my husband's order of an omelet, toast, hash browns, and coffee was one of the worst he's eaten. First, his coffee was very strong and the only offer the wait service made was to bring him some hot water to dilute it. When his meal arrived his one slice of toast was cold, the omelet was 1/2 to 2/3 of the size an omelet anywhere else, and the hash browns were burnt on the bottom and raw on the inside. (We later witnessed from the kitchen that the hash browns are large frozen patties, which explained why they were under-cooked on the inside.) The worst part of this for me was that it is nearly impossible for me to get my husband to try somewhere new to eat, and now it will be even harder. He would have been happier at the iHOP.

• Visited January 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Las Vegas, Nevada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Hip to Be Square”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2014 via mobile

I sometimes wonder if I'm hip enough to hang out at the Snow City Cafe whenever I'm in Anchorage. It is the counterculture hub of downtown and you sometimes wonder if a tattoo is required for entry. But even though I'm square enough to be considered a cube, I'm always welcomed with a cheerful smile at Snow City and I'd almost get a tattoo if that was needed to come back.

Lunch at Snow City is a required stop for my visits to Anchorage and the BLTA with a cup of the tomato-basil soup is my go-to menu choice. Perfectly cooked crisp bacon, roma tomato, ripe avocado, fresh lettuce and an addicting herb mayo on sourdough (of course, it IS Alaska and the early prospectors were called "Sourdoughs") comprise quite possibly the best sandwich I've ever had. The soup is available every day and always satisfies.

Snow City is packed EVERY time I visit and it's easy to see why it's been around for nearly 16 years. Anybody know a good tattoo shop?

Visited February 2014
Kailua, Hawaii
“Make Reservations!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2014

We ate lunch at the Snow City Cafe in June 2013. We made reservations and were very glad we did. So, we were able to avoid the long waiting list at 11:30. My husband had a grilled Italian panini sandwich. I had a grilled chicken salad with garlic dressing. My teenage son had a grilled ham and cheese sandwich; and my teenage daughter had pasta with pesto soup. We all had a bowl of tomato soup, too. We all thought the tomato soup was especially delicious. The only change I would make is the Garlic Salad dressing. It was rather uninspiring, a little bland. I would get a different dressing. Overall, we had a very good lunch and would recommend it with reservations.

• Visited June 2013
Iowa
“Local cafe - unique, high quality food.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2014

Had lunch here and it was great food. Packed with locals and you can understand why. Soup and sandwich but there very good. Person I was with had the Crabby Omelet and it looked outstanding.

Definitely somewhere I'd go back.

• Visited January 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Been to Snow City Cafe? Share your experiences!