“Liked it better when it was a pizza joint”
Review of Pepper Mill

Ranked #674 of 892 Restaurants in Anchorage
Neighborhood: Midtown
Neighborhood: Midtown
Reviewed January 6, 2012

Pepper Mill has gone through a couple changes in the past few years. It was a steak house then it was a pizza joint, now it's back to a steak house.

I rank it as poor because the food is expensive and not that good. The service has always been wonderful (that's what got them up from terrible). It's never been crowded when I've been there. I've eaten there through all its transformations and miss the pizza joint most of all. The quality is the same as a pizza joint so it lived up to expectations when it was a pizza joint. As a steak house the quailty hasn't increased with the prices. I still have a left over new york steak in the fridge that I don't want to eat.

I blame the chef's. The sauces are bland and thick like they've come from a can, my steak never comes out medium (either overcooked or under).

What I do like:
The service
The lettuce wedge - they put a lot of extras on it that I like (bacon, some sort of chip crisps, lots of diced tomatos)
The mud pie dessert - it's homemade and good
The prices - if they had cattle company or lone star prices I would be less harsh in my review because my expectations would be lower but when you buy a $30+ steak dinner you expect better and I just didn't get it. This has been the case every time I've been there since last year (3 times). I won't be giving them anymore chances to screw up my dinner (I can do that all by myself at home).