“Not a good stay”

Ranked #57 of 73 Hotels in Anchorage
Twentynine Palms, CA
“Not a good stay”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

The first night we arrived there was no hot water. It took 3 days before the water heater was fixed. The room heater uses the hot water heater also so we did not have heat in the room also. There was not dial tone on the room phone and the digital readout on our room thermostat does not display numbers. Front desk said they will send someone to fix it however, we were there for 5 days and no one came over to fix our issues. Breakfast was bare bone.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sgsuites

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
North Pole, Alaska
Reviewed August 31, 2013

This place was recommended to us by the local Veterinary hospital because it was across the street and they allowed pets. First of all we have been in hotels in the UK, NZ, Australia, Canada, and the US and never had we come across this situation: Our CC was charged on check-in. The manager said she has worked for 12 different hotel chains and this was standard practice. We didn't want to argue to point with her. Every hotel we've stayed at, has always charged the CC on check-out after asking if we want to use the original CC or different. Because of this, we were charged 3 times for our stay on 2 different cards. It took over a hour to straighten most of it out. We are still waiting for one of the charges that was reversed (so they say) to show up. We started a charge dispute with the bank on this. We weren't the only guest that had this problem. Wife overheard another guest complaining about daily charges that maxed out her CC.

As for the room, it was clean and the bed was fine. My wife hated the couch (leather) as it was uncomfortable. The toilet seat was broken on one side and pinched when it was used. Room service (cleaning) was only done once a week, so our room was never cleaned. Had to ask for clean towels every time. The bathtub was very noisy (creaking) while in use. It's as if it was not sealed to the floor. My wife tried to use the phone to call the front desk, but it would not connect.

On the second day, the fire alarm went off late in the afternoon, we got dressed, got the dog and went out side. After 5 minutes it stopped. No fire trucks? Went to the office to ask and they said "Oh it was a test." There was no warning for it at all. There were notices up for a fire alarm test for the day before and earlier in the day, but that never happened. Unbelievable!

Also encountered quite a few drunk guests at all hours at this hotel. There was no restaurant that I observed only a room service menu 800 phone number.

Some staff were helpful in trying to fix things but the outcome was not to our liking. Cleaning staff had personalities of rocks. Not very friendly. Needless to say we will never stay at an Extended Stay America again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Mike E

Travelers are raving about these Anchorage hotels

Georgetown, Texas
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Staff was unhelpful. Reservations were not honored. No hot water and staff lied to us concerning when it would be fixed and how many DAYS it would take. Hotel rooms are nice, but service was horrible.

Room Tip: choose another hotel
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank David T
chicago, IL
Reviewed August 3, 2013

We had just finished a cruise and had a late evening flight, so we booked a room here to have somewhere to be for 8 hours, and could take a nap. The room was so disgusting, we stayed less than 5 minutes. We took a taxi back to the airport, and just sat at the airport for 8 hours. Now stop and think about it...we lost our money, and would rather sit in an airport for 8 hours than lay on their bed...can you imagine how bad their rooms are. It was the most disgusting hotel I have been to in 25 years. And the staff could care less. Book at your own peril.

Room Tip: Don't stay here. There are no good rooms.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Jcnaperville
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Anchorage - Midtown, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Your review for our Extended Stay America hotel was recently brought to my attention. Please accept our most sincere apologies for the cleanliness of the room and the attitude of the staff. I discussed your comments with the team, and we are using your comments to correct these issues. The staff and I appreciate your comments, as it will only help us to improve. I would be happy to speak with you further. If you would like, please contact me directly, at anc@extendedstay.com. It would be our pleasure to have you stay with us again in the future to show you our positive strides taken to enhance your experience with us.
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I have never been more disgusted by the lack of concern and care shown at this property. I was misled by Hotwire into thinking this would be a nice place and regret my visit. The list of things that were wrong with this property is so long, but even worse was the absolute lack of concern by the staff to address these issues. They are clearly so intent on saving money the property doesn't bother to try and do anything for the guests. Half my concerns weren't even remedied by the staff during my stay and a month out from my stay the management hasn't replied to my concerns either!

Stay somewhere else!!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Gayle Z
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Anchorage - Midtown, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
I received a copy of your review and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. The situation you described regarding the service our staff provided to you during your stay is truly regrettable. We are very sorry for your experience. To prevent this from happening again, my team is being coached on how to provide better customer service in the future.

I am grateful for the feedback you provided so we are able to continually improve our hotel. Please contact me, at ANC@extendedstay.com, if you would like to discuss this further. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience the next time you're in town.
Brooklyn, Ohio
Reviewed July 20, 2013

The remodel looks nice and adds more value to the rooms, but poor customer service can't be covered up by new paint and carpet. Instructions upon arrival inform guests that towel and linen exchange is available at the front desk. Full service is provided in rooms checked out for 8 or more days so be prepared to take out your own trash if staying less than a week (wasn't a problem for us). Only handsoap is provided in the rooms; you must get shampoo yourself from the front desk. While we had a coffee maker in our room, there were only sugar packets next to it. Pretty sure coffee was supposed to be included. When we walked into our room, we instantly noticed the crumbs on the table and the hair clip on the window curtains. I highly doubt the room was thoroughly cleaned after its last occupants vacated. If anyone stays in room 220, let me know if the clip is still there. Everything worked properly in the room so no complaints there. I think my biggest problem the hotel is with its front desk employees. They are undermanned and undertrained in their position. We waited 10 minutes to check-in and then an additional 5 after the printed broke. In between loading up for our departure, we stopped in the lobby for coffee. At 8:30am on a Saturday (July 20), 2 of the 3 pots were empty, 1 tea packet was left and no advertised muffins or fruit were available. I waited until the lady at the desk finished checking people out before requesting it to be stocked. She ignored me at first so I finished making my tea. I then asked another time at which point she drew attention to the cluttered desk, exclaiming how busy she was. WHAT?! She must've saw the look on my face because she asked for help from another employee in the back office (why didn't this happen in the first place?). I used to work in customer service so I know my expectations are not unreasonable. Clean up the act, Midtown, or you'll just keep getting negative reviews like this one.

Room Tip: Ask for one on the third floor so you won't hear noisy upstairs neighbors. Also, request a room...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Chelsea0518
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Anchorage - Midtown, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Chelsea - The feedback provided in your review about our hotel is much appreciated. It upsets me to hear that our staff did not attend to your need properly and that your room was unclean upon arrival. I am sorry for your experience. Your comments have been reviewed, and I will use them to coach the team on how to provide better customer service in the future to make sure your experience is not repeated. As well, I am working with our housekeeping staff to improve our cleaning procedures and standards.

Our team is committed to satisfying our guests, so we are very thankful for your feedback. If you have any additional feedback, we would like to hear it. Please contact me, at ANC@extendedstay.com, so we can speak directly. It would be our pleasure to have you stay with us again in the future to show you our positive strides taken to enhance your experience with us.
Woodbridge, Virginia
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Made 3-night stay reservation months in advance.The week before arival I called the front desk to arrange free shuttle pickup from airport.Was told no such reservations can be made in advance.Just call from the airport; they are only 15 min away. Tried for 20 minutes to call front desk upon arrival at airport-no answer!. How can a hotel reception desk not answer the phone? Finally got some answering service to pickup my call and they advised me that reception was on break ("which they are entitled to") and to call back in an hour.I said I was at airport needing shuttle transportation to hotel.Service agent said they would email hotel. Gave up and took taxi.When we arrived at hotel,reception said that we should have made shuttle reservation!We got settled in our room and could not figure out this high pitched whining mechanical noise that would go on and off every 10 minutes. After 1 hr of hearing this noise while settling in and relaxing after 12 hrs of flight travel, I went down to the reception desk to share with them that "something isn't working; it is making this whining sound." They said that our room was right over the laundry room and 1 of the machines makes this noise. Oh, and they DO the laundry throughout the day AND night. So, we asked for another room. They were not happy with our request. Eventually we finally accepted the FOURTH room as the first three alternative rooms either did not have AC working, and/or no window screens,whining dog next door,next to elevator or busy street. The room we finally accepted had no screens on one set of windows,minimal bath towels available,stained and soiled sofa (disgusting), bed pillows like 100% hard rubber, (bed itself was ok),kichen lights hanging from ceiling,no working icemaker,minimally supplied kitchen with no dish soap,teeny, tiny closet.The room we eventually took did not have iron/board like some of the others.Brkfast was granola bars,packaged muffins and apples/oranges.We made shuttle reservation for first in am for the next day to return to airport to pickup rental car.We arrived in lobby before shuttle began its day schedule to find that it had just left to pick someone up at the airport!It seems that the reservation for this trip was only entered by the staff into one and not a second place.Unbelievable.Continue to stay at place because it was convenient for us + we were too tired to change hotels.Place very shabby and in ill repair-and those are the "remodeled rooms.".So much for their remodeling.Am surprised hotel met construction/safety standards.Staff was nice, but incompentent.Played hard during the day so we were too tired at night to care. Slept without pillows.No way would we recomment this place. Would not expect any difference for sister hotel downtown.

Room Tip: just don't stay here!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank R B
Thank you for your recent review of your stay at out hotel. I sincerely apologize that there was a mix-up for the shuttle timing when you arrived and departed for the airport. In response to this feedback, I have spoken with our shuttle staff member and am working with them to improve our procedures. As well, I am very sorry that three out of the four rooms we tried to provide you with did not meet your expectations. To ensure this does not happen again our housekeeping staff is focusing on providing better cleaning services moving forward. Lastly, I am disheartened to read that you did not enjoy our grab-and-go breakfast. This is a new feature, so as we continue to enhance it, we will definitely keep your feedback in mind.

Thank you very much for providing us with your feedback. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at ANC@extendedstay.com. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area.