“Barely Average” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #56 of 72 Hotels in Anchorage
Crystal Lake, IL
“Barely Average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

We stayed for a couple of nights about a week ago and found it acceptable and nothing special. The bed was comfortable and the linens clean, though we had to go get the rest of the towels that were missing.

The couch was stained badly, and the sleep sofa part of it was uncomfortable. We had to ask for sheets and a blanket for that, too.

In our experience, there were no offensive smells but that may have been by sheer placement luck, being in the middle on the 2nd floor. It seems pets are allowed on the first floor. Our window backed to a service road that supports the McDonald's drive-in, and with cool summer nights the windows were opened to hear the morning customers whiz by.

Staff was friendly in a routine way. Their "complimentary breakfast" was token coffee, pre-wrapped muffins and fruit.

Across the street are two outstanding restaurants, a sushi place and a pizza joint that regularly has a waiting crowd. To the west a block or two is a large movie theater.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

The entire hotel smells like cigarette smoke and dog urine. Neither the heater, nor the air conditioner worked in our room. Breakfast was a weak selection of packaged oatmeal and apples (and there were no utensils or bowls to eat the oatmeal with). This hotel is not recommended!

• Stayed June 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Skyhawk01
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Anchorage - Midtown, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I sincerely apologize that the hotel had an odor and the heater and air conditioner did not work in your room. To make sure this doesn't happen again, I am using your comments to coach the staff and taking the necessary corrective actions. I am grateful for the feedback you provided so we are able to continually improve our hotel. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly, at ANC@extendedstay.com, should you wish to discuss this further. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience the next time you're in town.

Travelers are raving about these Anchorage hotels

Redondo Beach
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2013

I hate to write negative reviews but this hotel was so bad and their lack of follow-up on billing mistakes was so irresponsible, I had to make an exception.

We stayed two times for two nights each at the beginning and end of a vacation. The first two nights were okay though the room heater was always “on” and could not be turned off. No biggie. We opened the window. The free continental breakfast offered weak coffee, packaged pastries, and good apples on a table to the right of the front desk so they could keep an eye on things. Front desk personnel went through the motions of being friendly and caring if you managed to get their attention. If this was the only experience with the hotel, I'd have rated it "average."

When we checked back in a few weeks later, however, the room’s A/C was blasting and the window was wide open. The window screen was bent back and hanging from one corner as if someone had broken in but being on the third floor with no balcony, this was impossible. I turned off the A/C, re-installed the screen and we went to dinner. On the way out, we mentioned to the girl at the front desk that there were no towels in the room.

When we returned from dinner, a pile of new towels was waiting for us when we noticed the toilet was dirty with poop and pee splash from a previous occupant. We’d already unpacked and didn’t want to move to another room so my wife went to the front desk and asked if she could borrow some cleaner and rags to clean the toilet with. The girl at the front desk said she didn’t have access to cleaning supplies and insisted on moving us to another room. She also said she’d give us a $10 discount on the room for our troubles.

The new room seemed okay until we were getting ready for bed and tried to turn on the heat. Neither the baseboard heater in the bedroom or the room heater in the living room worked. We were told they didn’t have a maintenance person but we didn’t want to move again so we made due. Luckily, it was unseasonably warm and we didn’t suffer at all.

To add insult to injury, they double-billed us for the stay and rather than giving us the $10 discount, they charged us $12.50 for “additional linens”. After a few attempts, I was able to reach manager, Janelle Melcher who apologized for the double-billing and corrected it. She promised to rectify the erroneous linen charge but never did. Once again, she never returned my calls and I had to file a dispute with the credit card company.

On the positive side, parking was convenient and it’s in a good location, behind a McDonalds and close to shopping, restaurants, and a movie theater.

Room Tip: Move from room-to-room 'til you find one that's clean and working....if they exist, that is.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ssuga
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

this is a very bad hotel! when we arrived the air conditioning in our room was not working and the heat would not turn off. we had to remain in 85 degree rooms for 2 nights. we originally told the morning manager to have to issue dealt with and she assured us it would be fixed....nothing was ever done. when we asked to be switched rooms, they refused and we had to continue to stay in the heat because all other hotels were full. the fitness center was closed due to machines being fixed. the free breakfast that is offered consists of packaged muffins and oranges. the rooms were also very dirty and did not even have towels in them. we were in a room with a king bed and a pull out couch, we were not given sheets, blankets, or pillows for the pull out and had to personally walk down to the front desk to ask for them. terrible place to stay and terrible service!!!!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Tyler C
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2013

Rooms were good - 2 queens and fold out couch. Location is right off the Seward highway so easy accestomorrow day trips. TV in living room and bedroom. However, continental breakfast is bare minimum - no fruit, no cereal, no juice, no fresh pastries. Packaged muffin, kiddy style cereal bars. Gym has no towels, no water, and no ventilation (except open window). Bathroom towels were like sandpaper and no maid service. Refrigerator was a plus but change the setting bc it was set to barely cool - I didn't realize it until my yogurt was warm and so I threw them out.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank michael_cueto
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Anchorage - Midtown, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Michael - Thank you for your recent review of your stay at our hotel. We appreciate the kind comments about the rooms and our location; however, we apologize that you found the grab-and-go breakfast to be lacking and the refrigerator in your room was not working properly. In response to your feedback, our maintenance staff is working to make repairs in your room as needed and we will look into ways to improve our breakfast offerings.

Thank you very much for providing us with your feedback. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at ANC@extendedstay.com. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area.
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2013

It is my first trip to Anchorage, so not sure what to expect. I am however an experienced traveler and have stayed in many hotels and all sorts of accommodations in many areas around the world. I have been here for over a week now and so far so good. I was greeted very warmly when I first arrived by Beth and she has continued to give me a great smile and conversation every time I have entered or exited the property. She conducts herself in a very professional and inviting manner. I have not had much interaction with any of the other staff so I cannot speak so far about them. The room is just fine. Not bad, but nothing exceptional either. When I was told that the place had been newly renovated my expectations were somewhat higher. I have not been through the whole building yet, but appears to me to be the typical hotel "renovation". slap some paint on the walls and new flooring and bam renovated. Most guests that I know of, myself included could care less about the surface show, and are more concerned with their room amenities, fixtures, heat a/c units, furniture etc. I was surprised not to see more of a blackout window covering in the room, being new to Anchorage I have had a difficult time adjusting to the sunlight and have hung my blanket over the window I can get to sleep. Has not been too much noise, but when someone is walking by or talking in the hallway or next room, I can hear them clear as day. The ceiling lighting fixtures are poor, and was forced to bring a lamp from the bedroom to the table so I can see what i'm doing. The fan in my bathroom is obnoxious, I climbed up and have unplugged it because it is so loud. the tub faucet drips slightly as well. Bed and linens are descent but the couch is a mess. Definitely need new couches or new coverings, at least in my room. It is just old and dingy with marks and stains. I attempted to flip the cushions over but someone already beat me to it. They were even worse on the other side. However the amazing smile and greeting I receive from Beth every morning makes me forget all about the small issues I have with the room. Great Job. I am currently looking for a more permanent place to live, but will continue to stay here until I do. I look forward to giving another review when I leave. Thanks again :)

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business