“Not worth the money”
Review of Marx Brothers Cafe

Marx Brothers Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
Marx Brothers Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #24 of 896 Restaurants in Anchorage
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Contemporary
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: F Street
Description: Located in one of the oldest homes in Anchorage, The Marx Bros. Cafe specializes in innovative contemporary cuisine featuring fresh Alaskan seafood and only the finest quality meats. Our chef revises the menu each night to reflect unique ingredients and imaginative preparations. Our cuisine is expertly paired with an extensive selection of wines housed in one of Alaska's largest cellars. Welcomed at the door by partner Van Hale, guests are at once immersed in a quaintly elegant atmosphere provided by our original town-site house and tasteful table settings. The evening is guided with unrivaled service by our subtle, accomplished staff. With only 14 tables in our house, we serve an average of 60 guests each night. Reservations are highly recommended. Please contact the restaurant directly if you are unable to get the time or party size requested online.
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Our food was delicious and it was a lovely special evening, but you can get food & ambiance just as nice for less money in Anchorage. The caesar salad prepared table side was delicious but really just a novelty when you consider the exorbitant cost. When I booked the table (mid-week in mid-January) I told them it was my birthday so I requested a nice table. The restaurant is tiny. But they seated us in the back corner next to the door on one side, which had a terrible draft, and the door to the kitchen on the other, which was noisy and had a lot of foot traffic obviously. I asked to be moved forthwith. I guess they don't understand what a special occasion/nice table request means. Anyway, the food was very nice and the service was excellent once we got a better table, but it just isn't worth the cost.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

Very friendly staff and superb food. The lobster bisque is excellent, as is the Neapolitan seafood mousse. Space is limited, so you will be seated close to others, but I've never had a problem with that - just makes the experience that much better in my opinion!

Reviewed March 12, 2013

Incredible dining experience. Staff was so very friendly. And food was indescribably good, you must go.

Reviewed January 13, 2013

From the beautiful wine selection, the truly gourmet foods, quaint dinning, to the beautiful views, incredible service, this is my favorite restaurant in Anchorage. I would recommend making a reservation!

Reviewed January 5, 2013

#1 for quality cuisine in all of Alaska, if not the Northwest. Not much argument there. A close second is Chef Al's Kincaid Grill, if there is a third, it is distant.

Do not go to either one of these just to eat. Be in a good mood, put on a tie (not required) and make an evening out of it. Perfect for intimate occasions for two or three, like anniversary, birthday, etc.

In my opinion, it is sort of a waste of a quality dining experience when here if one is in the company of a group of others who are gabbing, joking, etc. all the time.

These have been our favorite(s) for many years.

2  Thank TeBay