“BEST Mexican food in ANC”

Xalos Mexican Grill
Ranked #134 of 878 Restaurants in Anchorage
Cuisines: Mexican
Harrogate, United Kingdom
“BEST Mexican food in ANC”
Reviewed November 24, 2013

We all know that authentic/good Mexican cuisine is really lacking in Anchorage. Before experiencing Xalos I considered Serranos the best mexican food in the city, but that has changed. Xalos is very good, with lots of menu choices in a really lovely space. Most places in Anchorage are in gross 1980s strip malls, of course this place is located in a strip mall as well, but at least it's a new one. The interior decor was nice and it was extremely clean and the staff was very friendly. Xalos is easily the best Mexican place in all of Anchorage.... and I've tried them ALL! We're originally from San Antonio, Texas, so we know a thing or two about this type of food. I would say that the only thing that would make this place 5 stars is if they invested in a tortialla maker and made their own tortillas. I think that is what truly would set them apart. We will definitely be back. Unfortunately I'm not a fan of the side of town it's on, so we probably won't go as frequently as I'd like. Xalos is located in East Anchorage and I feel like I never get over that way.

• Visited November 2013

Anchorage, Alaska
“Like back in Zihua”
Reviewed November 20, 2013

Okay I have eaten here three times in four days, yeah it is that good, bottom line my new favorite local Mexican Restaurant.
The interior is not tasteful, but beautiful, huge beautiful paintings and colors. The owners is there every day. The food and I have tried multple items, is top notch both in presentation and taste. The star is the seafood items, the Campechana Botana, WOW!!!, Shrimp tacos are mouth watering, several types of flan which are huge. Both bottled and fountain drinks and bottled and beer on tap, oh yeah and Mexican Coke. My daughter loved her food, my corworkers loved theirs what else can I say. Yes it is a tad more expensive than else where but if you are the best, which I say they are you can do that.
Their logo says Authentic and fresh, yes they are!

• Visited November 2013
Wasilla, Alaska
“Delicious food, clean & colorful environment”
Reviewed October 6, 2013

The food is great, freshly made with fresh ingredients. Everything is colorful from food, plates to walls. Owner is friendly with great service overall. A little on the pricey side but worth the visit. I've brought friends here and they to love it, it's not your average Mexican establishment.
Halibut burrito is HUGE, enough for two to share. Chile relleno is a good size and the ceviche tostada was to die for. Highly recommended. Plenty of tables to put together and serve a large group.

• Visited September 2013