“Nice and Clean but very Basic” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Aspen Suites Hotel Anchorage

Aspen Suites Hotel Anchorage
Seattle, Washington, USA
“Nice and Clean but very Basic”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

This place is great if you want to save some cash and stay somewhere more basic and hands off. No breakfast - that is ok, there is a Starbucks next door. The elevator was jumpy and slow ... took the stairs as much as possible. The room was clean and i believe this place is new so everything is up to date which is nice.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Anchorage, Alaska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

I traveled to Alaska for work and my Company put me at the Aspen Hotel, it is an nice place to stay. I would recommend it to persons who are traveling here. The Staff are always there to help. It is however the only hotel I have seen that does not have a 24 hour desk. The house keeping keeps the hotel nice and the rooms very clean, there is always coffee out for you no matter what time of day. At night they have security, if you have the chance to run into them they are great to talk to. The security guard Ryan, was great he even helped my search in finding a longer term housing situation in Alaska. He was very knowledgeable about the city. He is a bright young man if you chance to run into him, He also works the desk some days and is always there to help you no matter the situation. Also Sam who works the front desk most mornings is awesome. The folks there at the Aspen make is such and easy stay always trying to help and make your stay better. This hotel is in my top ten and would recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: Ask for the 2nd-4th floors on the mountain side.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Bob F
Wasilla, Alaska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

We have stayed at the Aspen Hotel at least 6 times in the last year. We live in the Valley, and in the winter when we have business or doctor appointments in Anchorage, Aspen is our preferred choice of many hotels in Anchorage to stay. The employees are very helpful and professional. Occasionally we need to use one of the two board rooms they have, which is another big plus. The Aspen is not only convenient but is clean and secure. There are so many good things about this hotel, including the location. It is close to Ted Stevens International Airport. The Aspen is located within walking distance to these restaurants, Starbucks, Fridays, I Hop, Applebee’s and others. We will continue to recommend the Aspen to our friends and family.

Room Tip: We prefer rooms facing Starbucks.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Tena L
Valdez, Alaska
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Yet another trip to Anchorage, and this time to the Aspen Suites Hotel in Anchorage. We went to this hotel because it is Alaskan-owned, and because many of our friends have stayed at the other Aspen locations and have enjoyed their experience.

First, the hotel is in a central location and we were able to get to many locations in Anchorage by taxi for ten dollars. The Aspen is a new hotel with nice amenities, including a fitness center, in-suite kitchenettes, spacious rooms and restrooms, free WiFi, and fresh coffee in the lobby. The staff was personable and courteous.

Only two issues with our stay. First, we came back to the hotel on Saturday afternoon and immediately met with the smell of what I presume was rotten fish being cooked. This smell lingered for three to four hours. I commend the staff for their efforts; they waded into the foul atmosphere and worked diligently to deodorizer the floor. The hotel can't really help what people decide to cook, but this will be a striking lesson that will dissuade me from booking at a hotel with in-suite kitchenettes in each room.

The second issue... the bed. The bed in our room had a lot of spring in it. So much spring, that I literally sprung off the edge of the bed on multiple occasions. Mind you, I am not a little guy at 300 pounds. The springy nature of the mattress even involved a late night, spring-aided ejection into the night stand. Once my wife and I settled into an agreeable position, we rested uneasily. The mattress felt very hollow, except for the high tension springs thrusting into our bodies. It made for two long, uncomfortable nights.

The Aspen Suites is a nice place, but we will not return.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
Beverly Hills, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

The hotel was amazing, The front desk was great and the hotel was clean. At night if you are out late there are after hour security who are always there to help you. The Security was Awesome when asked at 3 a.m. they got coffee even when it was not on his list of to-do's. I would recommend this hotel to anyone traveling! It has a warm welcome and a homey feeling. They are trained professionals and great friends! I am not sure I'd stay anywhere else but there again. Thank You Aspen!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Don L
Middleborough, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

Was there for business in December. Couldn't justify paying so much for some of the typical business hotels with this one available. Was pleasantly surprised by the cleanliness and upkeep of the room which was a bit bigger than the standard at most other travel hotels. Bed, blankets and pillows comfortable and warm. Free internet was fast and cable more than I could ever watch. Loved having the kitchenette too. Would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Soldotna, Alaska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

EVERY TIME I went down for coffee they didn't have any. I asked two or three times for some to be made but the young girl at the desk seemed REALLY put out that I had asked!! She mentioned that there is a starbucks next door, the young man another time just said okay then just left to the back to make some I guess - I left after 5 minutes! NO personality!

The front desk closes at 11pm so GOOD LUCK if you need security!!!!!!! I went out to smoke and there was a fight in the parking lot! I tried calling security several times NO ANSWER!! Another time there was a loud party a few doors down- no answer from security that time too! My last weekend there was another party-loud, slamming doors, etc. I saw three party peps actually falling down drunk on my way outside. When I came back they were pounding and kicking on a door!!!!! I tried calling security and guess what? NO ANSWER!!!

On weekends the grounds are littered with trash. Once I saw a used condom on the parking lot!
I complained about two teenagers making out in the parking lot and referred to the condom I saw out there before to the front desk but when I looked out an HOUR LATER the couple were still sitting in their running car.

OKAY on the plus side the room was clean, comfy bed, good restaurants around. The maintenance man was really, really nice! ALWAYS greeted us, I always saw him busy working - he must be off wkends because the outside trash can never gets emptied so it's spilling over and the wind usually carry's it everywhere. Emili at the front desk is wonderful! I asked about her because I hadn't seen her but the other girl said she didn't know how she was? Hopefully they didn't get rid of their best front desk person!! Also, I really appreciate the recycling bins on every floor!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family