“Birthday dinner”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: C Street
Transit: People Movers Bus Line. Corner of Fireweed and C Street.
Description: Restaurant used to be in Girdwood, Alaska
Reviewed April 23, 2013

My friends and celebrated two of our birthdays here. The food was great. The service needed help. One waiter and he was having organizational problems. Would probably go back.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

Maxine's is only open for dinner, and the menu is very good. The wine and beer list is very good. On Sundays they do a themed meal fit for a family or large group. They let you choose from a main dish and have a variety of side dishes to go along with it. It is a fun way to eat and the portions are quite generous! Prices are reasonable too. The parking can sometimes be tricky, but on weekends and most evenings there is a building next door with parking available.

1  Thank fdoll
Reviewed January 6, 2013

We went for lunch one afternoon and had one of the more more interesting creative combinations lately. Splitting a number of the different appetizers and lunches, we picked over everything from their hummus on Meze to the lamb kabobs special that day, Thai Lettuce Wraps and the Korean tacos. Some of their flavour combinations are rather unique and interesting and the fusion has an interesting twist to some of the dishes.

The banana blueberry sorbet was a little unique. It had a floral overtone to the taste that did not really mingle on the palate so well. The server enquired with the chef that created it but he swore it was not made with anything else. So we had to wonder if the placement of the sorbet was near something else in the freezer and 'picked up' that flavour?? Not sure but I wouldn't downgrade the overall visit over the sorbet - I just wouldn't order it again.

Enjoying a split of Regal Royale, we then went and found a few bottles of these on our own over at the local 'liquor warehouse' and bought more - thank you for the introduction to a lovely new semi sweet champagne!

We will return again soon - lunch seemingly the right time to go to have a little more peace and certainly more parking possibilities on the place.

1  Thank CheffK
Reviewed January 3, 2013

We made a reservation to eat here over New Year's Eve via Open Table based on the many positive reviews.

From the outside, the restaurant is not much to look at. Inside, however, the ambiance is cozy and eclectic, with great private booths for couples located along the side wall. The restaurant was packed, but we didn't have to wait at all to be seated. Service was quick and friendly, never obtrusive.

The real draw here, though, is the food. Hands down one of the best meals I've had in Anchorage. DH and I shared the Wonton Tacos for an appetizer, they were DELICIOUS! Limey and spicy and perfect. I could've scarfed another 5 or 6 of them, they were so good. Quite a few options for by the glass wines too, which is nice. I enjoyed the Tofu and Spinach Manicotti for my entree, and finished up with classic creme brûlée, my all-time favorite, and it was wonderful. Overall, we had an excellent experience here, and I look forward to our next meal!

Reviewed December 12, 2012

Food was average. Nothing special and the portions were small. I had a bowl, of soup which they filled half way so was more like a cup, and a small salad, which was really small, each was $6 and should have been more like $ 8 for both. Even then .....My friend got the pseudo big mac, the meat was overcooked, and dry, with a bun that was just too much bread. We also ordered hot tea and it was served in small cups, and no one checked on the hot water, we had to request more. One waiter and a bus boy, Way to busy to not have 2 servers.
So overall way overpriced for small portions of average food for lunch.