“Hate the place, way overprice” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Oscar Gill House Bed and Breakfast

Oscar Gill House Bed and Breakfast
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Anchorage
Oscar Gill House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #36 of 128 Anchorage B&B and Inns
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Hate the place, way overprice”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2004

My family went to Alaska on July. I searched the web to find a good place to stay and my husband came across this hotel review from a tour book. I wish I did not listen to him. But I thought it could not hurt to try. And I had good experience with another B&B.
The place was way overprice for what it has to offer. They have the cheapest bed. If you have lower back problem like me, do not even think about this hotel. The breakfast consists of coffee, OJ, one piece of melon, one french toast and some spoiled berries. I had to carefully sort through the berries before I gave it to my daughter. The place was dirty except the bathroom. I had to ask my little one to put on her shoes while she was inside the house.
Sum it all, the bathroom was nice and nothing else. And since the place was not popular, it was quiet. The last night, we were the only one there.

6 Thank LikeToTravel709
, owner and manager at Oscar Gill House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, December 31, 2004
A complaint is a gift in the b&b world, but this did not come to us in person or in the spirit of helpfulness, so we feel compelled to respond to the meaness of the review of our home. At first we believed that the woman guest was mistaken as to where she stayed, as our home was fully booked May through September, but some mornings we do serve Alyeska Bakeshop cracked wheat sourdough French toast with Massachusetts maple syrup, Talkeetna Birch syrup, bottomless orange juice, fresh fruit, fresh roasted coffee, and imported teas, so that rang a bell. I don’t know what the woman desired for breakfast, but if that was not enough, we do not serve bacon or ham, and, as a good mother should, she picked out an "oops it got in there" bad berry (a long trip it took to Alaska). A comparable breakfast at an Anchorage restaurant would be $10/person, plus a tip if she would be inclined. Unsolicited tips are not the norm in homestay b&bs. We could not locate the woman by her remark that “no one else was here” since we were fully occupied. Most guests leave early for the trains and long drives, so it was unfortunate she had no company for breakfast. Perusing software and paperwork in the indicated month of travel (July), no one met the criteria (husband, wife and daughter). We found a reservation from that particular town in Maryland, but the travelers came in June not July and shared a queen bed (mother and daughter?). We are very sorry the firmness of a Beautyrest was not to her comfort level. This complaint has never come to us, as most guests rave about the comfy beds, linens and cleanliness of our home. Her room has wood floors and a 200 year old Turkish kilm, which she may have considered dirty. Our home is detailed daily by me and 2 fantastic college housekeepers and it has been described in a guide book as “immaculate.” The Anchorage Bowl is famous for being full of volcanic dust--perhaps she saw some. Lonely Planet, Frommers, Fodors, and Rough Guide writers have all been here, and the feedback on Charles’ roundtable from Frommers for 2004 has quite the opposite reviews. Our rates have changed only $10 in 10 years so as to keep our rooms within budget range. Nowhere else can you get a downtown room, full breakfast, free bikes ($25 rental in shops), and gratis laundry for less than $100 and we don't leave envelopes in the rooms asking for tips for our student housekeepers or ourselves. The guest book has only nice things written, so no clue there. We sincerely regret that we were unaware that some "unhappy campers" were in our home, as would have done anything possible to make them happy. Kind regards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)