Oscar Gill House Bed and Breakfast
Lakeshore Inn & Suites(Anchorage)(Great Value!)
$134
$114
Comfort Inn Ship Creek(Anchorage)(Great Value!)
$191
ComfortInn
Anchorage Grand Hotel(Anchorage)(Great Value!)
$219
Hotel Alyeska(Girdwood)(Great Value!)
$179
$139
Hotels.com
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed July 21, 2008

The Oscar Gill House is in a good location. It is across the street from Delaney Park and walking distance to downtown shops and restaurants. The home is well kept and clean.

The night we arrived at the B&B the "host' never introduced herself. I told her who we were, she said hello and just took us right upstairs to our room and told us what time breakfast was. Very different from our other B&B experiences. She ended up being friendly for the rest of our stay, but she didn't make any big impression that first night.

It would have been nice to have a computer available at all times. You had to ask, and the person running the B&B had to get a laptop from the owner, who lived in the basement. Most other B&Bs we stayed at had a computer available 24/7.

Breakfasts were mediocre compared to the other B&Bs we stayed at.

We didn't love this place, we didn't hate this place. It was just okay for us.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank happytraveler49
Reviewed June 2, 2008

My wife and I stayed one night and had wished we had more time to stay longer. Very clean, quiet and convenient. A short walk to some wonderful eating establishments and entertainment. And after a long flight the jacuzzi tub in the suite that we had certainly felt wonderful. Susan and her husband are tremendous hosts and they put out a great breakfast. There is absolutely nothing I can say negative about The Oscar Gill House.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank blackie50
Reviewed August 13, 2006

We enjoyed a pleasant night in this charming home which is within an easy walk of the downtown area. Susan and Mark Lutz found the home in a deplorable state, moved it to their lot, and carefully restored it into a treasure. Both remain actively employed but devote sufficient time to make the stay of guests a pleasant one. Breakfast was very creative and tasteful.

This property has had one negative review which should be entirely ignored. We had no concern for cleanliness, comfort of bedding and adequacy of bathrooms. The Oscar Gill House was an outstanding find for us and we plan to return.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank fric1025
Reviewed February 21, 2006

I have stayed here twice and loved every minute. While Oscar Gill himself never had a hot tub in his room, I'm sure that he would appreciate the comfortable and homey restoration of his house and the amazing breakfasts and snacks that are served up in his name. Susan and Mark Lutz are down-to-earth and great at welcoming strangers to Alaska.

My trips were at slightly odd times for tourists -- late Feb 2003 for the start of the snow-challenged Iditerod and November 2005 for the Great Alaska Shootout. Susan and Mark were very helpful during the first trip: my snow-related plans had to be replaced with a new adventure every day. They were extremely kind during the second trip, which I had to cut short because my Dad became ill.

I would go back to Alaska in a minute and be back at Oscar Gill in half a second. It's a great place run by wonderful people.

• Stayed: November 2004, traveled on business
2  Thank SRG4007
Reviewed July 24, 2004

My family went to Alaska on July. I searched the web to find a good place to stay and my husband came across this hotel review from a tour book. I wish I did not listen to him. But I thought it could not hurt to try. And I had good experience with another B&B.
The place was way overprice for what it has to offer. They have the cheapest bed. If you have lower back problem like me, do not even think about this hotel. The breakfast consists of coffee, OJ, one piece of melon, one french toast and some spoiled berries. I had to carefully sort through the berries before I gave it to my daughter. The place was dirty except the bathroom. I had to ask my little one to put on her shoes while she was inside the house.
Sum it all, the bathroom was nice and nothing else. And since the place was not popular, it was quiet. The last night, we were the only one there.

6  Thank LikeToTravel709
Management response:Responded December 31, 2004

A complaint is a gift in the b&b world, but this did not come to us in person or in the spirit of helpfulness, so we feel compelled to respond to the meaness of the review of our home. At first we believed that the woman guest was mistaken as to where she stayed, as our home was fully booked May through September, but some mornings we do serve Alyeska Bakeshop cracked wheat sourdough French toast with Massachusetts maple syrup, Talkeetna Birch syrup, bottomless orange juice, fresh fruit, fresh roasted coffee, and imported teas, so that rang a bell. I don’t know what the woman desired for breakfast, but if that was not enough, we do not serve bacon or ham, and, as a good mother should, she picked out an "oops it got in there" bad berry (a long trip it took to Alaska). A comparable breakfast at an Anchorage restaurant would be $10/person, plus a tip if she would be inclined. Unsolicited tips are not the norm in homestay b&bs. We could not locate the woman by her remark that “no one else was here” since we were fully occupied. Most guests leave early for the trains and long drives, so it was unfortunate she had no company for breakfast. Perusing software and paperwork in the indicated month of travel (July), no one met the criteria (husband, wife and daughter). We found a reservation from that particular town in Maryland, but the travelers came in June not July and shared a queen bed (mother and daughter?). We are very sorry the firmness of a Beautyrest was not to her comfort level. This complaint has never come to us, as most guests rave about the comfy beds, linens and cleanliness of our home. Her room has wood floors and a 200 year old Turkish kilm, which she may have considered dirty. Our home is detailed daily by me and 2 fantastic college housekeepers and it has been described in a guide book as “immaculate.” The Anchorage Bowl is famous for being full of volcanic dust--perhaps she saw some. Lonely Planet, Frommers, Fodors, and Rough Guide writers have all been here, and the feedback on Charles’ roundtable from Frommers for 2004 has quite the opposite reviews. Our rates have changed only $10 in 10 years so as to keep our rooms within budget range. Nowhere else can you get a downtown room, full breakfast, free bikes ($25 rental in shops), and gratis laundry for less than $100 and we don't leave envelopes in the rooms asking for tips for our student housekeepers or ourselves. The guest book has only nice things written, so no clue there. We sincerely regret that we were unaware that some "unhappy campers" were in our home, as would have done anything possible to make them happy. Kind regards.