“Great place for budget-minded travellers”
Review of Qupqugiaq Inn

Qupqugiaq Inn
Ranked #85 of 126 Anchorage B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 24, 2008

We reserved three rooms with private baths and one hostel bed for two nights in June and one night in July. Was what we expected - small, but clean. Staff very friendly. Great Italien restaurant right accross the street for dinner; great pastry shop also right accross the street. They offered their own breakfast - grind your own oats, cereal, coffee, tea. Would stay here again if passing through Anchorage in the future.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
4  Thank ja45
There are newer reviews for Qupqugiaq Inn

Reviewed July 15, 2008

I stayed at the Q Inn in June, during the height of the summer, and was quite happy.

In reading some of the other reviews of budget places, I was quite concerned about finding anything in Anchorage that might be both pleasant and affordable. I was very pleased with the room at the Q Inn - the bed was very comfortable, the room was quiet, and the (wired) internet worked fine during my stay. I had a room with a shared bath, and I found the bathrooms to be extremely clean during my two-night stay.

The location of the hotel is not within walking distance of the downtown, so a car is a very nice thing to have here. There is ample parking on site, and the area seems safe enough.

The place has kind of a communal feel to it - there are barbecue nights during the week, and a community fridge. I did not take part or use either. I was a bit concerned that it might make the place noisy, but I found it quiet.

My only problem was a booking issue with an online booking service that did not specify that my room was a shared bath. In researching the problem, it is clear that this was a problem of the booking agent and not the hotel. Knowing what I know after staying there, I would likely book the shared bath again.

Overall, I had a very pleasant stay here and have recommended it to others. Especially in the summer, it is difficult to find any place of this quality at anywhere near the price.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled solo
4  Thank bobby_l
Reviewed June 29, 2008

The first thing that bothered me about this hotel was the story behind the name. They used the Eskimo word for ten-legged-polar bear and ruined the culture behind it by making up some bogus story about a vegetarian peace loving polar bear who writes news papers, which I can assure you is NOT in anyway a native story. I am Inupiaq Eskimo and I was VERY offended by the story and by the whole disregard these people had for my own culture. Of course, the owners of the hotel were not native themselves so they found the story to be cute, and did not even consider asking the permission of the native eiders to butcher their story in such a way.
I stayed at the hotel with my 3 year old daughter, the room (rm. # 18) was tiny and cramped. There was no place to put our suitcase so I had to put it on top of the dresser so there would still be room for us to walk out of the door.
There is no wireless internet you have to go down to the office and request an Ethernet cord, they do not bring it to you or even offer to do so. This was only a problem for me because it meant that I had to wake my sleeping child and parade her through the hotel in her pajamas just so I would be able to book a new hotel for the next day. The night-shift worker did not tell me that the internet was down either, and when i called her and asked her what was wrong with the cord she says "Oh, the internet has been down all day." I was infuriated!! I could have let my daughter sleep instead of making a useless trek for a useless cord.
Then we have shared bathrooms, and a shared kitchen, these two facilities are NOT in anyway clean. There were cockroaches in the bathroom, and the frigde was so packed you could not find a place to put your own stuff. There was food in the fridge so old that the whole fridge stunk, and you could actually see mold coming out of packages.
Also, there are NO guests allowed in the hallways or in your room, I assume this is because of the reputation this hotel has had regarding prostitution in the past. I experienced the response to this rule when I first moved in, my mother helped me carry my luggage up the stairs and i showed her the room, and when she left i was approached by the same rude night-shift worker who said to me "So who was that you brought into your room? Is she still in there?" I replied no and she said again "You are aware of the no guest policy aren't you?" to which I replied "Yes Ma'am I am aware, I did not know that my mother was so unwelcome here, she was helping me carry my luggage upstairs since you certainly have no one around to help with such tasks."
On top of all of these things the same night-shift woman who checked me in mistook the dates, and had me set up to check out a day earlier than I had asked for. I was woken up in the morning by the equally rude cleaning lady who pounded on my door screeching "ROOM SERVICE! ROOM SERVICE!" when I replied that I did not want room service she continued yelling, telling me that I need to speak to the front desk about that. Is it just me or do normal hotels usually ring you up on the telephone to deliver such messages? When I left my room, luggage, daughter and all I was greeted by the rude cleaning woman who was giving me a sidewards glance snickering at me. I honestly felt like I was paying these horrible people to take me back to high school, dorm room and all.
All in all, i had a miserable stay at this hotel. Do not mistake this to be a Native owned or operated facility. It appears to be a tourist trap of some sort. I had poor quality service, poor quality rooms, and I was treated very rudely. It is not worth the money you may save. AVOID THIS HOTEL!!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank ie_12
Reviewed June 11, 2008

The rooms were very nice, especially the ones with private bathrooms! The decor was fine, and the whole setup kind of reminded me of a dorm room or maybe a guest room that you would have at your house. All in all, a good place to stay on a budget with a great restaurant right across the street! (Kobe's).

We stayed in two separate rooms because our stay was broken up by a two day visit to Denali Natl Park. Our first room, Room 20 was much nicer than our second, Room 3. I highly recommend Room 20 if you stay the the Q Inn (as the taxi drivers call it). Room 3 was too close to the street and our bathroom door didn't shut correctly. We didn't mind that much since we only stayed in that room for one night, but I wish we would have just stayed in room 20 again.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Sara C
Reviewed August 26, 2007

This place must be Anchorage's best kept secret ! I stayed four nights - two different rooms, each with private bath. Found the rates to be half of what it would cost elsewhere. Everything seems to have been newly remodeled-- very clean. You couild also choose to save even more and get a hostel style lodging room or a private room with a shared bath. Lots of nice touches....books in the rooms, nice linens, and tastefully decorated with artwork and antique furniture. Although it isn't within a short walking distance of downtown, there are numerous places to eat nearby, and it's not in a bad section of town. Owner and all of the employees very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled solo
4  Thank snail84
Reviewed June 14, 2007

Needs quite some upgrade to match motel 6. Location is very off center. Even the taxi driver who dropped us off told us to "get a bed and breakfast next time". We will do that for sure.

• Stayed: June 2007
3  Thank hastravelbug
Reviewed April 15, 2007

This was a great place for the price, especially considering how outrageous lodging usually is in Alaska during the summer. Rooms are small, but have personality, and also very comfortable beds. Bathrooms are shared, dorm-style, but clean. Good place to stay if you want a decent room for a good price. Be aware, however, that the Qupqugiaq is not within easy walking distance of downtown.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled solo