“The Q - Qupqugiaq Inn!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #83 of 128 Anchorage B&B and Inns
Kobe, Japan
“The Q - Qupqugiaq Inn!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2012

Whenever I’m in Anchorage I always make a bee-line for the Q. It’s the cheapest, bright, phone, and computers and with a great location. There are 2 convenience shops very close, and the movie is within walking distance. Important for me as I do not drive. Bus routes are nearby. I always love the inner refreshing greenery of the lobby.

Geoff is a major traveller and Arctic survivor. From his deep incursions about the little visited corners of the globe, he has brought back astonishing treasures; my last room [4] has Islamic tile art. He personally built those curved walls, the only example in the state.

There is a real moral ethos. Geoff and manager Jennifer have, for example, set up a functioning centre amid the rubble of Haiti. Chino boxes at state level. Over the years they have all become lifelong friends.

If you really want to meet the varied peoples of American’s last remaining frontier then the Q is for You. They come in from the villages of the vast Alaskan hinterland; and this is where they stay. You will not find such in other hotels; just little boxes of the USA. Magic is not there.

I strongly recommend it for your real Alaskan adventure

There is no better place in all Alaska than The Qupqugiaq Inn!!!

Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank GeorgeMeegan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Richland, Washington
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2011

Without a doubt, the worst hotel I have stayed in. The rooms were dirty; the mattress was on a board; the smell from the Mexican restaurant below lingered all night; my room was insecure-a smoker's balcony was outside my window and only a one foot step up; the breakfast was almost non-existent in a filthy kitchen-no 'French pressed coffee', no 'hand cut oatmeal,' inedible home cooked bread; the TV had only one channel,but the real kicker was the manager, Jennifer. She was not unfriendly, she was hostile! A terrible experience.

• 1 of 5 bubbles

Travelers are raving about these Anchorage hotels

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2011

Do not ask for a room at the front - 36th Avenue is a busy main road and you get a view of the mall opposite.

Do not ask for a room at the back - you get a view of the parking lot and the scrapyard of trashed cars beyond it. And you might also get the fumes from the tobacco smokers on the patio directly outside your room. Not only unpleasant but also a security problem for at least one room - the window opens directly on to the patio and anyone could just climb in.

Do not use the communal facilities - they are directly above a malodorous Mexican restaurant. They are also adorned with fearsome-sounding lists of do's and don'ts (mainly don'ts)

Do not have breakfast here either. On my stay there was NO coffee, the home-made bread was inedible and there was very little choice of nourishment of any sort.

And above all have nothing to do with the 'General Manager' Jennifer, who has a serious attitude problem and is singularly ill-equipped to work in the hospitality business.

My sister and I were shocked and appalled at how we were treated when we mistakenly followed the Lonely Planet recommendation. They will be told about this. The contrast with the welcome we received throughout our Alaska trip could not have been greater.

2 Thank Jonathan C
Mountainair, New Mexico
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2011

This is a very quaint and artistically designed inn. The curving walls and artwork that adorn the rooms and building are really nice. Unfortunately, while it is listed as a value hotel there are some serious shortcomings to staying here. Other reviewers have already noted the paper thin walls and noise from the street. We had a private room and bath and the decor was very pleasant. The room had a nice flat panel TV and the furnishings had a pleasant new age appeal.

The wifi connected with a strong signal but its speed was so slow that I finally stopped using it and switched over to my air card. It was a bit strange not to have any glasses or toilet roll holders in the room.

My biggest caveat about this establishment is the extremely parochial rules that are imposed upon guests with absolutely no advanced warning. When we booked the room we were informed of the non-refundable $15.00 booking charge which is a bit odd but somewhat understandable for a small operation. When we arrived to check in we were required to pay the balance of our stay, so I provided a credit card and signed the charge receipt. We were then immediately presented with a receipt that all guests staying in the room were required to sign. This receipt listed a lengthy list of rules such as NO REFUNDS, No Guests or Visitors, No Alcohol anywhere on the premisis, No Smoking, No Pets of any kind on the property... I have no problem with an establishment setting such rules, provided they are clearly disclosed in advance. Absolutely no mention of these restrictions was made until after she ran my credit card and had obtained full payment in advance. Since she offered NO REFUNDS you had little choice but to comply or forfeit the $126.56 room charge. Frankly, that is not that much of a bargain rate considering there are much nicer places in Anchorage for just a slight bit more money.

The room was clean and comfortable. The thin walls and street noise did make it difficult to get a good nights sleep. My wife and I are hikers, so its location was not bad, even though downtown was quite a distance away. The doors and walls were plastered with placards containing rules and restrictions at every turn. There are a number of restaurants and grocery stores located very close to the Inn. If you like pizza and beer and want to sample Anchorage's finest, I recommend the Moose's Tooth Pub & Pizzaria which is just 1 mile away.

Room Tip: Great place for non-smoking, tea totaler's who don't have pets.
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank TSchenk
Denver
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2011

A friend and I were booked for 5 days. We had no problems and Jennifer -the manager- was very helpful. A good deal for the money.... Rooms were clean, downtown was only a quick bus ride away. Most importantly, they were flexible! We decided to take a two day trip to Denali and Jennifer didn't charge us for the change of plans and refunded the nights even tho the rooms remained unhooked (money loss for them) most places wouldn't do that! The higher place we stayed in Denali didn't have the service,Internet or tv that the Q Inn had. The restaurant downstairs had great and affordable food-best we had! Thanks to Jennifer for everything!

• Stayed June 2011
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Location
      Rooms
2 Thank Linssk86
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2011

I really loved it. Great place to be. Very warm innkeepers, friendly, sociable, helpful. Although I stayed in a hostel room with 5 other guys and a shared bathroom, I don't have anything to complain about. Very clean, very secured. We had access non-stop to the kitchen, free coffee and tea, free internet, just super ! One of the innkeepers also drove us to a supermarket nearby and helped us with shopping; I have never seen something like this before. The quality/price balance is really great. I'm very glad I chose this place to stay.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank RaulGogo
Los Angeles, CA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2011

In the past I have been able to stay in hotels that are budget and ok, usually run by well meaning folks that are around. This was worse than any hotel I have ever encountered. We booked room with private bath. The door had 2 locks on it, we were given key for top lock and not the bottom lock. If the bottom one got locked you couldn't get back into room and no one was around to unlock door. We only saw 1 person working at the front desk at odd hours. The window in the room was broken and couldn't be shut. Street outside was very loud, awful nights sleep. The ancient television only got 2 channels. The bed had stained sheets, 3 pillows with only 1 pillow case. There is an old heating system in the room that doesn't work and was partially torn away from the wall making the metal very dangerous. (someone could get cut on the metal if they fell on it). Was so bad we found another hotel after one night. You can't call 2 boxes of cereal and no milk breakfast. Beware of room 20, maybe the other rooms are better but I really doubt it, this place is too run down and not close to anything if you don't have a car. Oh and they wanted to over charge me upon check in.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family