“Harassed while sitting quietly in the lobby reading online” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Puffin Inn

Puffin Inn
Ranked #36 of 72 Hotels in Anchorage
Seattle, Washington
“Harassed while sitting quietly in the lobby reading online”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2010

Nothing extraordinary about this Hotel other than the convenience of its location & nearby 24hr places to eat. Last night I went to the lobby computer to check some flight schedules and got caught up reading, It was about 2300 hours and no one was around, nice and quite. I had only been there long enough for the allotted time recommended to accommodate others plus I was getting hungry and ready to walk, on a nice night, down the street to dine. As I was reading and thinking an unidentified aggressive man intruded into my space asking several questions back-to-back not allowing an answer if I wanted to give one. He was assuming I didn't belong at the hotel and saying he remembers my face and etc. ... he was difficult to understand and would not allow me to respond nor question. I attempted asking who he was and is their a manager but I don't think he could hear me over his ranting. This is how things unfolded very rapidly but what disturbed me most is when he started I was trying to say no problem and as I was attempting to sign off the computer he walked to the plug and unplugged the computer which anyone knows can damage it. At this point I attempted to ask why but was ignored and as I was walking past he too walked out and he asserted, as he pointed to a specific car in the parking lot, that he knew that was my car. As I walked away to the restaurant I was able to find some humor in that he might be aggravating another customer about the car and give someone else the opportunity to speak their mind.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Camdenton, Missouri
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2010

We made reservations online and stayed three different, non-consecutive nights at the Puffin Inn. The first night was in the old section. It is badly in need of refurbishment and is not well cared for. My wife described the carpet as "gross". Another guest was demanding a room change due to the smell in his room. We changed our reservations for the next stays to the new section. It was fine. Maid service was poor one night (no soap, left used washrag on the shower curtain, had not emptied the ice bucket, etc. Perhaps just a bad night for the maid. However, the staff at the desk, the shuttle driver, etc. were all very friendly and helpful. They stored our luggage and kept fish in their locker over night for no charge when we left for a one day side trip. If you stay there, be sure your reservations are for the new section of the motel.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Travelers are raving about these Anchorage hotels

Glasgow
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2010

We arrived without reading reviews as the place we planned to stay that night was a fleapit. We were looking for a reasonably priced place with two beds close to the airport. We weren't expecting much in the way of luxury (but more than the place we'd just rejected!). The staff were friendly and helpful over and above the call of duty. The place is mid-renovation but this was explained and apologised for. The room was fine - slightly dated decor but two big comfy beds, a fridge, and a good shower. Breakfast was a little limited but at the price we paid (about $70 a night less than the neighbouring competitors) we weren't expecting much. We would stay again if we were passing through Anchorage. Thanks so much to the staff for their helpful suggestions of local movie theatres etc.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank pegandjeg
Conrad, Montana
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2010

The window was broken and wouldn't close all the way. The street noise kept me up all night. The room was very hot and the airconditioner didn't work. The maid started very early cleaning the room next to mine banging things around. After her cart slammed my door a few times I went to confront her about it. She didn't speak english. The receptionist was rude and didn't seam to care about any of my complaints. On my ride back to the airport I listened to a couple others with very similier issues about their stay.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank jason_brenny
Sacramento, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2010

Stayed here the last night of our vacation. It was very disappointing, from the dingy lower level room they tried to put us in at first to the rates which were way high for what you get. Do a little shopping first. Staff was not all that friendly either.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
UK
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2010

I'm sorry to have to write this review as the day staff and the drivers at this hotel were really fantastic. The room was fine, large and clean, and the breakfast Ok (average ultra processed American served on plastic plates, but fine for this price.) Having said that, the night reception staff were the rudest I have ever encountered. My main reason for advising against staying here is the other guests. The old part of this hotel is set up like a motel and the rooms open direct to the parking lot and street. About 9.30pm some people arrived in the room next to me. They were pretty noisy and up all night doing drugs from the sound of it. Around 3am an argum,ent broke out. A woman started screaming for help and screaming "get out." I heard the guy saying that someone had a gun. Things calmed down after an hour or so. No one from the hotel came to investigate. I was so scared I was seriously considering going to sleep in the bath tub incase I caught a stray bullet. Clearly this hotel is used by locals to take crystal meth or whatever. I was scared to leave my room at 5am to get my flight as they were still at it next door. Dont stay here. Stay at the Ramada Downtown. Its about the same price, all the staff are nice and its safe. If you do stay here, pay extra to stay in the new wing which is set up like a hotel and should be safer.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
Asheville
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2010

The wife and I stayed there three nights last week and were very pleased. The rooms were clean and comfortable, the continental breakfast was basic but good (love the waffle machine!), and two computers were available for those of us without laptops. Located one block away from the Fancy Moose restaurant and bar at the Millennium and, in the opposite direction, Gwennie's Old Alaska restaurant. Staff was courteous and competent.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple