“Beware!”

Ranked #36 of 73 Hotels in Anchorage
Oakland, California
“Beware!”
Reviewed August 6, 2013

Be aware when making reservations at the Puffin Inn that you may end up down the street in their less than satisfactory "Chandler Inn". I was terribly disappointed when I was handed my key and told to go down the block to a small building, rather than staying in the very nicely appointed hotel that I checked into. In the Chandler, there is no elevator (heavy suitcases are to be carried up narrow stairs), and the carpets are filthy throughout. The rest of the room was modest but fine, albeit a bit noisy since the building sits on a rather busy street corner (and my room was at the back of the building...). I would recommend to them that they use whatever money they are paying the person in the puffin costume for some serious cleaning instead.

Room Tip: Try to ask for a room in the hotel proper when you are making your reservation. If you are told you...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Artistlin
Sonja J, Owner at Puffin Inn, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
I'm disappointing to hear that you didn't enjoy your stay with us. While the Chandler in is a bit older than our main building, we work hard to make sure the accommodations are clean and comfortable as ever. I will definitely take your advice and look into having the carpets steam cleaned. Thank you for the feedback and I hope you give us another chance on your next trip to Alaska.

Sonja, Puffin Inn Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Claremont, North Carolina
Reviewed August 4, 2013

My family and I stayed at the Puffin Inn for 2 nights on July 29-31. We were pleased with the lobby and our room. Both were very clean. We stayed in the newer looking part where the lobby is located. The hotel offers a free 24 hour shuttle to the airport, which helped us , because we were able to turn in our rental car a day early and the shuttle picked us up. The location of the hotel is near several resturants which helps if you dont have a car. Also has a free breakfast from 6 to 10 am, which again was very good. I really enjoyed our stay here and would stay here again.

Mark

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank MarkS0421
Sonja J, Owner at Puffin Inn, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
I'm so happy to hear that you enjoyed your brief stay with us, Mark! Great location, clean and comfortable accommodations — that's the game plan, so it's great to hear we're hitting our mark! Thanks for the feedback here on TripAdvisor and I hope you visit us again on your next trip to Alaska!

All the best,
Littleton, Colorado
Reviewed July 31, 2013

I should of read The trip advisor reviews before making my reservations! Yes I made my reservations via an Internet site and like the reviewers said I was placed in a sublet Inn called the Chandler Inn down the street! The room carpet was filthy and the bed was horrible and in need of replacing. I did go to the front desk and ask for another room and tree was nothing available. The front desk girl though helpful was put in a bad situation. If you read the owners responses on bad reviews she admits that she puts Internet customers in her "boutique" rooms! I have stayed in many " boutique" hotels and this inn is an insult to them! Sorry I cannot recommend this establishment!

4 Thank Mary S
Sonja J, Owner at Puffin Inn, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
I'm happy to hear that our front desk staff was helpful, but very disappointed to hear that we didn't have an open room to put you in, Mary. When guests contact us directly, we like to explain that we also have adjacent properties with rooms, however this is impossible to do in the big travel sites. Thank you for the feedback and I'm sorry for any inconvenience this situation has caused you.

Sonja, Puffin Inn Management

Travelers are raving about these Anchorage hotels

Dubai
Reviewed July 31, 2013

I stayed there several times, it is a good hotel for travelers, close to the airport with free shuttles. You can catch the bus to the city center from the other side of the street (every 20 to 30 mins). The rooms are spacious, some a bit old but clean and practical, there is also a laundry available in the hotel. Breakfast is usually included and rather nice. The staff is quite friendly and helpful. Outside holiday season, the hotel is great value but I find it a bit expensive during holiday season.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Lucioline
Sonja J, Owner at Puffin Inn, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
It's so great to hear that you've been a returning customer, Lucioline. Great location, friendly staff, tasty breakfast — that's our game plan, so it's great to hear that we're doing a good job! Thank you for the feedback here on TripAdvisor and we hope to see you on your next trip to Alaska!

Till then,
stevensville, montana
Reviewed July 28, 2013

The photo and write up on their web site looked and sounded what we were looking for. They just show the main part, not the other two or three buildings they reserve also. Checking in they told us she had upgraded us to another room......well it was in another much older building and needed updating desperately, chipped paint, chipped counter tops, stained carpet. If you look at the photo with two beds and a chair that is what they upgraded us to. I would certainly hate to see the room we were "upgraded from". Yes, they are convenient to and shuttle to airport, and have a freezer to hold your fish overnight. All I can say is, do not go by their photos and when they say upgrade ask what they mean? One gentleman came to desk saying the sewer had backed up in his room.

Room Tip: Ask many questions before reserving your room.
Sonja J, Owner at Puffin Inn, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
I'm glad that we were able to upgrade you, but I'm disappointed to hear that you were unimpressed by our hotel. While our new building is the most recently upgraded, we work hard to make all of our rooms clean and comfortable. I really appreciate your feedback here in TripAdvisor. If you ever come back to Alaska, I hope you'll give us another chance.

Kailua, Hawaii
Reviewed July 28, 2013

We stayed at the Puffin Inn on two separate nights during our July 2013 trip to Alaska. We wanted a place near the airport as we we're flying in late one day and out the next on both occasions. We booked the Puffin Inn online primarily because it was close to the airport and had a free shuttle and was much less expensive than all the other airport hotels. I was a little concerned because other reviewers complained of poor service and dirty rooms. Our experience was much more positive. On our first visit, their airport shuttle was busy so they paid for our cab from the airport. They put us in their adjacent property the Chandler Inn, the room was large and clean with good wireless, although on the street it was noisy. The desk staff were friendly and competent. For our next visit we requested and received a quieter room also at the Chandler and also very clean with fast wifi. Overall if you're looking for an a hotel convenient to the Anchorage airport, I'd recommend the Puffin, reasonably priced, good service, good rooms, and of course a no smoking sign in the lobby with a Puffin saying "No Puffin"!

1 Thank Jeffpolovina
Sonja J, Owner at Puffin Inn, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Great location, comfortable accommodations, friendly service — that's our game plan, so your review here on TripAdvisor means the world to us, Jeff. Thank you for taking the time to give us some feedback! If you've ever back in Alaska, give us a call!

Cheers,
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed July 27, 2013

What sold me on the Puffin Inn was its variety of room types/ages at different prices. The oldest section has economy-priced rooms, and the newest section has the more expensive rooms. We stayed in the mid-range section that had a 1980’s style. It was fine for the price. The location near the airport is good – with a free airport shuttle too. After we turned in our rental car, we were able to take Anchorage public buses from a stop across the street to the downtown area. The only problem that we encountered was too few tables in the breakfast area at busy times. There was some airplane noise during the day, as the aerodrome for float planes is just down the road; but noise was not a problem at night.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank WanderWhy
Sonja J, Owner at Puffin Inn, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
We're so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us! Great location, comfy accommodations, convenient shuttle — that's the game plan, so it's great to hear that we're doing a good job! Thank you for the kind words, and next time you're in town, give us a call!

All the best,