“DANGEROUS.”

Ranked #36 of 73 Hotels in Anchorage
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“DANGEROUS.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

Im really not a fussy person but i wont ever stay here again. The bedsheets had red stains on them, which i think was blood. Very disgusting. There was also hair on the besheets so i know that these hadnt been washed.

Customers have to call for the shuttle bus to come to the airport, which you dont advise your customers of. I waited for an hour in the cold very late at night after 30 hours of travelling and nothing turned up, all the other hotel busses did though!

When i eventually arrived at my hotel i was told that i wasnt actually staying in The Puffin Inn, i was staying in another building, and no, not one of the ones attached to the Puffin Inn. When i arrived there it was called the Charnlea Inn, or Charlie inn or something. The receptionist AT The Puffin took out a map and told me how to get there, her directions were awful and i went the wrong way, hauling my very heavy suitcase, in the snow, behind me, in the early ours of the morning, and after 30 hours of travelling. Had i known that the building was just 1 buliding away from the hotel, it would have been a much easier experience, she didnt need to bring out a map to show me, and she told me i had to go past 'a round building'.... what round building? Did she mean The Puffin Inn itself? Cause thats the only round building i saw. I told the girl at reception that i hadnt been advised that id be staying in another building, she girl just totally ignored me and didnt comment.

Two things i would like to point out. When i was worried about it and asked, the girl at the Puffin Inn desk told me that the building i was staying inn wasnt manned, but there was a security guard that came round 'every so often to check' the building. I can assure you that no security guard the whole time i stayed there, the only staff in that building was in the morning time when the man came to change the towels. Also, 40mins before i checked out early, i called the reception desk to ask if somebody had to check my room before i could leave, to save time. I was told no. Then when i got to the reception desk to check out the guy there phoned someone to go and check my room before i could check out! I told him that id phoned earlier to make sure that this wouldnt happen and he had an attitude when he replied 'well i didnt know then that you had a deposit to be returned'. He should have checked this when i asked him too. I wouldnt recommend that anybody stay here until security is sorted out. An unmanned hotel at night?

When i pay to stay in The Puffin Inn, i expect to stay in the Puffin Inn, NOT an unmanned hotel 2 buildings away with a differnt name, im very angrey about that. As a female travelling on my own, this made my experience in Anchorage a bad one. I dont trust the area that your hotel is located, on my first day there, i was stopped by three different men in different pick up trucks who tried to give me a ride somewhere, after that i was very wary of going out on my own, and that was during the day, on the main road just outside of the hotel, NEVER go out on that street on your own at night and certainly NOT on any of the back streets.

How know i know that one of those strange men offering a ride werent watching me to see if i was staying in the unmanned hotel? My room was on ground level.... i felt that they were following me. No sleep.

FEMEALE SOLO TRAVELERS BEWARE!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Louise0022
PuffinManager, Manager at Puffin Inn, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
I am so sorry that you had such a disappointing time at our property. There are several specifics that I would like to address within your review. First - the shuttle bus. Unfortunately, per airport regulations, we are not allowed to sit and wait at the airport itself. We can, therefore, only come out to pick folks up when called. It does clearly state this on our website, however we don't often have control over what 3rd party websites say or do not say about our property. For Future reference, I would always suggest you check out the actual property website before booking or travelling. Generally speaking, a property specific website will have more detailed information. Second - the Chandler Inn where you stayed. These are our boutique rooms. Again our website gives much more detailed specifics about the fact that it is a separate building. In fact, each of our different room types is a separate building, making it very difficult to sell on third party sites. I do apologize however on behalf of our front desk clerk. She should have noticed that you were extremely tired and not clearly understanding her directions. She should have had the driver escort you across the parking lot and carry your luggage to your room. The Chandler building does not have a front desk. However, for the safety and security of our guests, both entry doors are kept locked and only accessible with a valid room key. I assure you we do have personnel walking though the building several times at night. You wouldn't know it unless there were a disturbance that awakened you. Third - the clerk who checked you out. I agree that he should have first checked your particulars before assuring you you wouldn't have to wait on check out for your deposit refund and certainly should have spoken with more respect when called on it. He has been spoken to and assures me he will be more mindful in the future. Fourth - While it is obvious that you were with us for several days, I saw no log notes indicating that you had expressed concerns over where you were staying or cleanliness of the room. I assure you, that if you had, these issues would have been resolved immediately. We have upgraded solo females travelers to the main building in the past when they have expressed discomfort in their present rooms and would have been happy to do so again. We always strive to remove stained sheets from inventory. We do change our sheets after every stay. If there was an issue, we would have rectified it immediately, had we known about the problem. I will be using your review in our next staff meeting as a good training lesson for all. Again, I am sincerely sorry that your stay at the Puffin Inn did not meet your expectations. I hope the remainder of your visit to Alaska was all that you had imagined.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2013

I needed a last-minute, cheap place to stay, and I learned that you get what you pay for. My room was in a separate building from the lobby, on the lower level, and was cramped and instilled a sense of claustrophobia. Carpet was stained and soiled in many places, marks and small holes in the walls, hair on the bed, cigarette burn holes and tears in the comforter, and everything wreaked of old cigarette smoke. I would not walk on the carpet without socks or shoes on. Furnishings looked as if they came from a thrift store. Old 16" television set. The place reminded me of a room that you would rent to a poor college student. The free breakfast was okay, consisting of canned fruit, breads, cereals and make-it-yourself waffles. Free shuttle service to/from the airport. I would not stay here again unless it was a last resort. I paid $62 for one night here, and next time I'll shell out the bucks and getter a better place. I'm grateful I didn't have my family with me for this stay.

Room Tip: Consider other hotels first!!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank FreqyFlier

Travelers are raving about these Anchorage hotels

Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2013

My colleague found this place because it was very cheap but had all the amenities we require; wifi, a small gym, breakfast provided. Neither of us were disapointed. The room is nice with great facilities such as a stove, fridge and coffee making essentials. The beds and pillows are incredibly soft and luxurious. The location is fairly good, being a stones throw from the airport and a short bus or taxi ride into downtown. Anchorage isn't a huge city, after all. Staff are friendly and helpful and you can check in at any time. It's certainly not 5 star luxury, but it was pleasantly surprising to find that this place exceeded my expectations.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Ryan S
Sonja J, Owner at Puffin Inn, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
I'm so happy to hear that we exceeded your expectations, Ryan! We work very hard to provide great perks and amenities for an affordable price, so your recommendation here on TripAdvisor means the world to us! I hope you enjoyed your trip to Anchorage — next time you're in town, let us know!
Till then,
alaska
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

Our flight was so late coming into Anchorage. 6 hours late. We had to catch a flight, early the next morning, so we chose this hotel. The shuttle driver was prompt on picking us up. Our room was in the main building. The room had 2 queen size beds and was very large. We were so tired we went right to sleep. The room reminded me of a motel 6 type room. Because of the late arrival and very early morning depature I did not really explore hotel. The lobby was very cozy with a fireplace. The shuttle took us to the airport. You can really get a great deal, during the winter, but during the summer tourist season all of Anchorage hotels are expensive.I would stay here again, if I just needed a room to sleep and catch an early flight.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank ak747gal
Sonja J, Owner at Puffin Inn, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
It's great to hear that you were able to get some rest before your early flight! Given our location, we have a lot of overnight guests traveling through the airport — so, I'm glad you found our shuttle convenient! Thank you for taking the time to give us some feedback and I hope you stay with us again on your next trip to Alaska!
See you soon,
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2012 via mobile

Went up to celebrate some friends 30 year anniversary, and needed some sleeping accommodations and they suggested the Puffin inn. Great choice, front desk staff were very friendly and accommodating. Rooms were spacious and the bathroom showers had ceramic tile that had the Alaskan Puffin birds on them, very cool

• Stayed December 2012
3 Thank Hellsangelnomad
Sonja J, Owner at Puffin Inn, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to give us some feedback here on TripAdvisor! Friendly staff, great accommodations, prefect location — that's what we're going for, so it's great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I hope you had a great time celebrating your friend's anniversary and hope you make it back to Anchorage again soon!
Till then,
Whale Pass, Alaska
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2012

Clean rooms at reasonable price. ( I'm sure we got Winter rates ) Desk reception was friendly and very helpful. We stayed in the main building. A few fast food places close by. Didn't ask about a nice place to eat close by. Room is clean, in fact; very clean. No road noise in the room we stayed in. Breakfast at 5 am. All in all, I'd stay here again but in the main building.

Room Tip: we stayed in 1108. It's a pet room since we have a cat. $100.00 deposit, but you get it back if...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank AlaskaBrew
Anchorage
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2012

Need new carpet, paint, and flat screen TV's and need an elevator, dragging luggage up three floors sucks and dragging luggage about a block across the snow and ice to get to the outer building also sucks.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

2 Thank Bobby L