“Great value, but not super impressed”

Puffin Inn of Anchorage
Ranked #35 of 74 Hotels in Anchorage
Reviewed July 5, 2011

The Puffin Inn was fine for us. Close to the airport, and affordable. When staying in Anchorage, it is important you do not cheap out. The hotels in this town are more expensive, but you need to budget for that. I met a couple that bought a cheaper hotel online and ended up in a "rent by hour" type place. The Puffin owns property around their building and we stayed in a motel (that looked like a renovated apartment building) two buildings down. The pictures you see online are most likely of their central welcome center. Our room was quite and clean but the facilities could use some work. Again, for us this place was fine, but if we were going to stay more than one night, I would recommend budgeting for something a little nicer.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank elhoff1021

Reviewed June 27, 2011

I was very disappointed with the quality of the room and hallways of the Chandler building at the Puffin Inn. At $153/night, I felt completely ripped off. Fortunately I was only there for 1 night, and found a cheaper, nicer alternative nearby for $110/night.

Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed June 27, 2011

Booked a deluxe room and found it to be larger than normal and kept clean by the maid. The front office staff was helpful. Very close to the float plane base, international airport with easy access to downtown. A great value for what I received.

• Stayed: June 2011
Reviewed June 10, 2011

A skinny bald hotel worker named Brett asked my son if he wanted to get some "stuff" I overheard and asked what he meant and the man actually said he could get us some illegal drugs. We just left as we had just checked into our room and were going to eat but I wont be back. I can't believe it, has this happaned to any one else here?

Room Tip: this place should be shut down
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Management response:Responded June 14, 2011

I wish this guest had informed a supervisor or the front desk of this incident. The Puffin Inn does not condone or tolerate drug use and/or sales of illegal items by our employees. If we had known, we would have taken immediate action. As it stands, we investigated and this employees has been terminated. I would always encourage guests to complain to a supervisor immediately whenever an incident occurs that would be out of the ordinary course of business, or even just makes a guest feel uncomfortable. We aren't always aware of what employees are doing when we are not watching and always welcome guests' input.

Reviewed May 28, 2011

My school colleague and I checked in with our dogs as this is advertised as "pet-friendly". We were forced to pay for 2 rooms plus a per pet fee because we were traveling with more than 2 dogs. We only used a single room--the other was used to store pet crates only. When we decided to move to a hotel without this requirement, we asked for late check-out as we had a small rental car and needed to make several trips-we told this to the front desk. The manager began harassing us almost immediately with calls as to when we were getting out. We vacated the unused room but it took more than an hour to make the 3 trips necessary to vacate the room we had actually used. The manager continued calling and arguing with me on the phone--I told him that he was delaying our move with all of his calls, so he slammed the phone down. On the second trip, the manager was waiting outside our room and began yelling at us from the balcony as we pulled up, saying that we were "costing him money" because he had to pay the maids overtime (they were working on several other rooms at the time) and that he was going to "call the police" because we were taking too long. When we came the last time, to pick up our bags which we had put in their storage area to accommodate the manager, he informed me that he had charged me $150 extra because the "bed was damp-your dog must have peed on it". In fact, I had spilled a glass of water the first night, but he insisted that it was in the pet policy that he could charge whatever he wanted for any damage he thought was there, no proof necessary. DO NOT, REPEAT, DO NOT stay at this hotel. Not only are the rooms dirty and dark, but the manager has a screw loose!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
Management response:Responded May 31, 2011

First of all, I am sorry this guest had a difficult time at our hotel. However there are a few discrepencies in her statement that I wish to clarify. First, the two rooms were both booked two weeks in advance on a travel website. They called the hotel in advance and were informed of the pet fees which would be in addition to their quoted rate. Also, I believe my manager and maintenance manager knows the difference between dog urine and water. The smell alone is quite different. The rooms this quest occupied were brand new, the beds only two weeks old and, in an effort to keep them in as good a condition as we can, we opted to have the mattress that was urinated on professionally cleaned. As far as harrassing her to leave - Our check out time is 11 am - It was 3 pm by the time the guest left. We would normally charge a 1/2 day rate on the room, but choose not to in this instance. We are a very pet friendly hotel - however, we do expect pet owners to take responsibility for their pet's actions.

Reviewed March 3, 2011

We stayed at the Puffin Inn and was extremely satisfied with everything. We were picked up at Anchorage International Airport by the Puffin Inn courtesy van and taken on a short, less than one mile, transfer to the hotel. Once at the hotel we were quite impressed with the room quality and the fact the hotel had freezers that would hold our fish while we were there. The next morning we got up and enjoyed a complimentary breakfast of fresh cooked waffels, ceral, fresh muffins and pastries. We found staying near the airport to be very convenient and near several restaurants and nearby shopping centers. After relaxing for two days we were rtaken by the ourtsey shuttle to the airport for our return trip home. We saved quite a bit of money due to the free airport shuttle, free use of the hotel freezers for our fish, the free breakfast but most importantly a great price for a superior rom.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank mainecloser
Reviewed February 9, 2011

The rooms are dirty and grubby. Make Motel 6 look like the Marriott. Don't waste your time or money. We changed rooms. While the new one smelled better, it was still grubby and dirty. I didn't even want to take a shower here because it was so dirty--and I'd been traveling for two days!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family