“NO”

Ranked #66 of 73 Hotels in Anchorage
Edmonton, Canada
“NO”
Reviewed August 18, 2013

This place is noisy, smelly with by far the most rude hotel staff i've encountered in my life. I have travelled in over 20 countries, this like 3rd world country. Suspicious activities outside, if you have booked atleast ask for a room on a higher floor.There were individuals starring inside and waiting for i dont know what in their backyard.

Room Tip: there are no good rooms
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
6 Thank horvath i

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
TrvlJunkie_jg
Reviewed July 26, 2013

For the first time in my adult traveling life I failed to check Trip Advisor or Yelp before making a reservation ("cheap motel near airport - how bad could it be?"). I will never make that mistake again. The sad part is the average cost of a decent hotel/motel room in Anchorage is not that much more than this place. If it wasn't already late and we did not need to be at the airport in 6 hours, I would have dealt with the lost $ and gone elsewhere.

I'm not usually so thorough in my reviews (and appreciate this in others') if there is a brief way to capture all the points, but Trip Advisor informed me I needed to be more detailed. Okay…

Positives:

The staff, who were inoffensive (with the exception of the desk clerk doing pushups on his chair, which was a bit weird). We didn't bother complaining about the multiple issues though, so have no idea how they would have responded to that. Some might wonder why we didn't ask for a different room considering all the negatives, but I knew there would be little improvement.

Towels and bathroom were clean (although there was a small hole in the floor and rust spots all over the linoleum and tub).

They have a 24-hour airport shuttle, but after arriving we decided to keep the rental car so we didn't have to use it.

Negatives:

Entire room smelled like stale cigarettes. The bathroom in particular was very bad. Our clothes smelled gross despite the fact that they just came out of our suitcases and hung in the closet while showering.

The carpet was very dirty; I opted against bare feet.

Sheets and bedspread smelled musty; we attempted not to use them, which wasn't that hard since it was very, very warm. We tried to open the window, but it nearly came out of the frame. (There was also loud music and talking from workers below the window.)

No blackout curtains (a given during summer in Alaska) and no screen on the window.

Uncomfortable bed, thin pillows.

Afore-mentioned temp. The door was open when we arrived, to allow air to circulate apparently. I find this creepy, that any hotel guest could wander by and come in to the room before we arrived.

The sketchy 10 or 12 folks hanging around the front door (leering at us as we brought our luggage in). The front desk and rooms have multiple signage that indicates every guest checking in and every visitor of a guest has to show government-issued ID before being allowed into the room. That kind of says it all.

Synopsis: AVOID.

The sketchy folk hanging around the front door (leering at us as we brought our luggage in).

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank TrvlJunkie_jg
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed June 22, 2013

It was a place to sleep. Hotels are very expensive after May 15 and this one was reasonable. They let me stay a past check out time too because my flight did not leave until late at night and I had turned in the rental car. This is not a 5 star hotel but staff was helpful and it was clean and warm and everything worked.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank DeanJennifer G
Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

The first thing that you notice at Chelsea Inn hotel is the smell of Exotic bacteria (that reminds me of microbiology class), ashtray, And what I'm pretty sure was the smell of vomit, all mingled together Within the lobby. We stayed because we were on a budget, And because my wife's name is Chelsea. This is probably One of the cheapest hotels in Anchorage. The bathroom was growing orange stuff on the floor Along the wall. The carpets were old And the TV was from the 80's. The mattress was old as well, But I've certainly slept in worse. This hotel is a good deal only If you're broke and don't want to sleep in the street.

• Stayed March 2013
5 Thank FultonCR
Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed November 28, 2012

We visited Anchorage in October and got a room for one month with my wife and my two years old daughter. The clerks and the management were very friendly and we were not the only family with a baby there.
The price was right and we never had any problems with our neighbours or the room.
Do not get me wrong this is not a five star hotel. We had a great room and a vrey good experience. We recomand it to people that try to stay in a clean place for a reasonable price. We had a good stay and no problems. Everybody was nice and friendly. Thank you again to ALL the front desk for making our stay so nice.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank George90254
New York, NY
Reviewed February 27, 2012

For those reviews that say this is the worst hotel ever...they are right.

I booked a room here for the first night of our vacation in Alaska, based upon the criteria that it was cheap and close to the airport (we were arriving around 1 am). The first thing you notice is that the entire place smells like an old ashtray. The carpets are filthy, the glass in the front door is cracked and the whole place just has a grungy feeling. Note: it gets worse from here:

1. The rooms are TINY. As in, they hold a bed. The TVs were made around 1970, and what little furniture there is looks like it was dragged across an asphalt parking lot.

2. The rooms all smell like an ashtray. I'm not saying they smell like cigarettes, I'm saying they smell like an ashtray that hasn't been emptied in 3 weeks.

3. The showers were disgusting. It's kind of hard to tell if the issue was grime or rust, but gross either way.

4. The hotel has tenants who live there permanently....in one tiny, tiny room. They have printed signs showing their monthly rates.

5. The rooms was very hot. There is no AC and the windows have no screens. Meaning: either be really hot or invite the Alaskan mosquitoes into your room.

6. Bed size was a full...always the mark of a good hotel!

It is, simply put, a filthy, tiny, uncomfortable hotel. The only redeeming quality is that the staff is really nice, which must be difficult when dealing with the barrage of enraged customers.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
11 Thank Atom H
Fremont, Michigan
Reviewed July 26, 2011

WORST hotel ever !!! What everyone else said is true except double. I think they were trying to be nice, but not me. DONT ever stay there.
I could not bring myslf to even sit on the beds or to use the bathroom. We called another Hotel and they came and got us and the first thing that I did was WASH my hands. Oh my God it was bad !!!!
Our travel agent reservse this hotel for us and I won't ever use him agian either, He should have checked this out better.
I am not sure how they got there picture to look so good, it is a good thing that you can't smell pictures, because that would have told you the whole story.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family