“Better Price, located at Quieter Periphery of Downtown” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Anchorage Uptown Suites

Anchorage Uptown Suites
Ranked #52 of 72 Hotels in Anchorage
Hong Kong, China
“Better Price, located at Quieter Periphery of Downtown”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2013

My budget is below US$100 in downtown area and this is one of the limited choices (another is Westmark Hotel). It takes 10 mins walk to downtown (say the 5th Avenue Mall). At night, the neighbourhood is quiet and I was a bit afraid when walking alone back at 8pm.

Room is a suite, very spacious. Room is clean with nice decor and bed super comfy. I slept for 14 hours at one of my 2-night stay. It has a kitchen but was empty without any plates, utensils or cutleries for preparing meals. They are pleased to provide if I had asked though. Hair dryer and safe didn't work, seems disconnected to electricity. I believe they are pleased to get them fixed if I had raised it though. I just told upon check-out as that didn't trouble me much.

The staff are friendly nice and helpful, though they lack of flyers or materials on hand for ignorant tourist like me. They called up and helped booking local tours for me.

From airport, I booked the Captain Cook shuttle bus at US$10 at the concierge and took 10 mins to arrive at this hotel. Some may not know the location until I told it's next to Ramada Hotel.

Overall, with the price and space, it's a sound choice.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank MissHK2009

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Humansdorp, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2013

Nice new modern apartment style accommodation,all very clean and comfortable with all amenities one could require.Friendly reception.Only negative might be for people with problems with stairs.We were on the 3rd floor and had to lug our suitcases up there.Outside parking for our hire car which did not feel very safe,but we had no problems.I do think one needs a car to stay here.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tokkelosh
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2013

We spent 2 nights in the Uptown Suites and really enjoyed it. The suites are really spacious with full kitchens and it would be a great place to stay for a longer term rental as well. There was free secure off street parking, free wifi and it is in a convenient location.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank ETSinTZ
California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013

We got into town with no reservations and found that our favorite b n b was booked solid. They suggested this hotel. The woman at the hotel gave us a great rate so we took it. The hotel is within four blocks from downtown so it's a pleasant walk to stores, restaurants, and the museum. We really felt at home. We had a large living room, a nice balcony, and a good-sized kitchen. After we started our laundry in the coin op laundry room on the first floor for guests to use, we drove to Carr's (Safeway) and picked up some food items. Then we returned to our suite to enjoy a home-cooked meal, a cool beer, and a football game on the livingroom tv. It was a wonderful way to relax and recuperate after several weeks on the road. The wifi router was just outside the door so the signal was strong. The bed was soft. Electrical outlets were plentiful for our gadgets. My only complaint is the bathroom towels are a tad wimpy, but that's about it. Absolutely no bugs, in contrast to the one reviewer. The folks at the front desk were helpful.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank poodytat
Plano TX
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013

Ended up here one night paid by B&B which overbooked. The property is more like a small apartment complex than hotel and is walking distance to downtown; very nice 2nd floor one bedroom with small balcony. Complimentary WiFi that worked well. Limited parking but we had no issues. Only downside was full-size bed and we're used to king size. Front desk very helpful in navigating area with suggestions on places to go eat, explore.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sgb1959
Buenos Aires, Argentina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2013

I was very pleased with this place up until last day! Nice appartment, close to downtown, clean, nice furnishing, etc.
I stayed there 3 nights. The last night I decided to watch some tv on the couch and fall asleep. I waked up a few hours later with at least 30 bed bugs bite over my arms and chest.
During the check out I told them about this problem and they didn't offer ANYTHING!!!! And when I say anything I am not expecting them to give me my money back, I am talking about a small gesture! Not even ointment for the bites or an allergy pill, nor a discount, NOTHING AT ALL!!!! The lady on the reception told me: I'll let the manager know. THAT WAS ALL!!!!
In conclusion: nice place but with BED BUGS!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank Hormiguita-viajera1
AnchorageUptownSuite, Manager at Anchorage Uptown Suites, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Regarding your stay with us, we would like to address the problems you had encountered. We are glad that you enjoyed our furnished kitchen suites and location of our hotel, but we would like to add our input regarding your bug bites.

The morning of your check out you and the General Manager spoke for quite some time, and even in German - realizing you could both speak the language. You had asked her to leave your luggage here in our hotel while you went about your day and to pick it up later that night right before your flight. We had no problems accommodating that. Upon your return to get your luggage that night is when you informed the night manager about bites you had on your arms and chest. You said that you had fallen asleep on the couch the previous night and woke up to the bites. This was not mentioned to the General Manager during your conversation upon check out that morning.

As soon as the General Manager was informed of this she had our maintenance personnel in the room to address this matter - however, no bed bugs were discovered in the couch or bedding in the room after a proper search/cleaning. We apologize for this inconvenience you experienced during your trip to Alaska, but we are not sure where the source of the bites came from.

Before your stay with us we had a company occupying all of our kitchen suites for three months, including the room you rented, and other nightly rentals before and after your stay, and have had no similar complaints. We take pride in keeping our rooms clean for our nightly and long-term rentals and have never experienced an issue with bed bugs before. Again, we apologize for any inconveniences and hope you would consider us again in the future.
Cairns, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2013

Just got back from Alaska a week ago. The location is in a great spot, walking distance to all the shops. The rooms were clean and there was a kitchen which was handy. The breakfast was adequate to last to lunch. I would definately recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: the rooms at the back are the quietest