Dimond Center Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Parkwood Inn(Anchorage)
View Hotel
All reviewssoaking tubhuge bathtublarge shopping centerseparate showerfront deskrooms are largewatch tvother hotelsmake your own wafflescomfortable bedsfree breakfastgreat place to staybreakfast barhot breakfastairport shuttlebreakfast roomvisit anchorage
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 30, 2009

I've stayed there 3 times now. Lovely rooms and polite staff. First time was great. Second time I was cornered outside by two drunks and managed to slip through and get in the building quickly and away from them.

3rd time was the worst! No one offered to help with luggage or hold the doors open. Had to move rooms because 1st one has a poor view (construction next door)and was really far from any door(I had specified a room close to an outside exit). Went shopping and out to eat then came back. Went up to my room for 45 minutes and then came back outside to find 2 TIRES SLASHED on my vehicle. I was parked in front, under my window, and under the lights. Staff didn't see anything and they DO NOT HAVE OUTSIDE SECURITY CAMERAS. No ryme or reason as to why it happened. At best it was random or mistaken identity. Later found out that this is a higher crime area and was told, by one of the bellmen, that his vehicle had been vandalised twice there. Staff didn't offer to comp me a room or make the situation any better in order to entice me to come back another time.

I've lived in the area years before and visited often. On this visit I noticed a high rate of vagrants in the area and even witnessed a fight between two of them in the Best Buy. The hotel provides NO security and again, they do not have outside cameras. At night most of the businesses shut down so there really isn't anywhere to easily walk to either. And I wouldn't recommend being alone at night in this area!

I would recommend staying downtown in order to have better security, dining and entertainment. Shopping is better downtown as well. We will not book at the Dimond Center again. Too bad as they do have the nicest rooms I've ever stayed in anywhere in the area, for the price. BTW - Alaskans shouldn't have to pay more than $99.00 per night during the off season.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
4  Thank akgirl70
Reviewed February 17, 2009

My fiance' and I stayed at the Dimond Center Hotel for Valentine's weekend. When we checked in, they "couldn't find" our reservation. The situation was easily fixed (so I thought), and the desk attendant made a new reservation.
We actually enjoyed our room and the amenities. We liked the convenient location for shopping. The breakfast was crowded but not bad.
The problems began when we checked out. I found on the bill that I had been charged an additional $100.00 because I had "used a debit card"; they told me not to worry because it was just a security deposit that would be refunded to my account. My fiance' asked "What if she has bounced checks because of this unexpected charge?", the front desk girl told me "just call if that happens and it will be taken care of".
When I checked my bank statements online on Monday morning, I found that the hotel had charged another $122.08 to my debit card! AND the $100.00 "security deposit" had not yet been refunded! As a result, I had FOUR NSF fees ($80.00) on my checking account. I called the hotel to find out what was going on, and the general manager told me that the $122.08 was a second reservation made by mistake on THEIR part. I asked how they planned on taking care of the NSF fees that resulted from the unauthorized $220.00 that was overcharged to my account; the general manager told me that "it wasn't her concern how much money I kept in my account"!!! Oh, and she also told me that "every hotel in the world does business this way"; apparently the hundreds of other hotels that I have stayed at were not "in the world"!
Terrible management! Very rude and refused to be accountable for their mistakes. Don't stay here if you expect good service and honest business practice!!!

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
7  Thank alaskabadger
Reviewed October 13, 2008

The Dimond Center Hotel is a bit of an odd place. First, the location is really strange - it's in the middle of a bunch of shopping malls and chain store parking lots. That would be ok if it were an airport hotel, but there are several perfectly fine hotels much closer to the airport, and it's not really near anything else except the Seward Highway.

As for the hotel itself, some aspects of it are quite nice, and others are at the level of a modest Holiday Inn. The building is structured so that the best views are from the lobby and the corridor leading to the rooms, not from the rooms themselves. The front desk clerks are very pleasant and helpful, but there is no bell service, so you have to borrow their luggage cart and carry everything yourself. The décor in the lobby is nice, but that in the rooms is dreadful. The rooms are huge, but the bathrooms are very strange, with a big jacuzzi tub located next to glass windows that open into the bedroom – and the sink located outside the bathroom, opposite the coffee-maker, fridge, and microwave. There is no closet, only an armoire, though it does have bathrobes in it. The bathroom amenities are lovely Aveda brand ones, but the towels are skimpy. The TV is huge, but has no DVD player or VCR. The beds are adequate, but not great.

The hotel has a small dining area where they serve a free breakfast in the morning – with real oatmeal, remarkably good, and make-your-own waffles, but only canned fruit – and it has a full bar, but no restaurant. Fortunately there is a reasonably good American bar-and-restaurant type place (Suite 100) just a few blocks away, but other than that the place is pretty much surrounded by fast food joints.

Bottom line: the hotel is ok if what you are looking for is a convenient place to sleep on the way from the Kenai Peninsula to Denali National Park or vice versa. But if you want an airport hotel, or something in or near downtown Anchorage, you can probably do better.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
4  Thank O2BatC
Reviewed September 27, 2008

I booked this hotel because of the good reviews. The first room I had was dirty and they were laying carpet in the hallway. So there was constant hammering. They were polite and moved me. The second room had a constantly running toliet and no heat. After a couple of hours, the toliet was fixed but not the heat. I went to the front desk and asked to check out. The assistant Manager could not check me out without the Manager's approval. I checked 3 times with the Assistant Manager (Bernadette Abellera) who kept saying the Manager (Sheri Makela) was busy but would speak with me in a moment. I finally gave up. The next morning, I ran into the Manager in the lobby and just asked why she never returned any of my messages. She said this was the first she had heard of me and she would check on it. I left for the airport and she did call me later and apologized and offered to refund my credit card. She did not do that. She refunded $30 enstead of $200.00. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank gatravelor
Reviewed September 6, 2008

The Dimond Center Hotel really is great and has some of the biggest, most comfortable rooms I have ever stayed in. The bed was huge and comfortable and the big tub was welcome after 10 days of hiking and camping around AK.

On the downside, there was not bell service. In addition, the cable tv was limited, which I would not expect at an upscale hotel. Also, the business center, which had two computers, charged by the minute for internet access, which seems odd, as just about every hotel has a free computer in the lobby for guests these days. Last gripe was that the front desk declined to print a boarding pass for us when we were headed to the airport in the early morning, something no hotel has ever declined to do for me.

So, the "dimond" is a bit rough around the edges, and is in a bit of a quirky location too (behind a mall in a parking lot), but I would stay here again. The comfort and size of the rooms is outstanding.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Mypeeps