“Above average hotel, Exceptional staff” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Anchorage Marriott Downtown

Anchorage Marriott Downtown
Ranked #9 of 72 Hotels in Anchorage
Washington, DC
“Above average hotel, Exceptional staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013

Stayed a week in early September. Hotel was comfortable and clean. Very nice bed with lots of pillows. Gym and restaurant left a little to be desired. If you want amenities, go to the Captain Cook. That said, absolutely every interaction with staff was stellar. Friendly and accommodating from the door to the desk to room service.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Dan H
Cheryl H, Manager at Anchorage Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Dear Dan H,

Thank you for your response! We are thrilled so see you enjoyed your stay and that you experienced the hospitality and service you deserve.

We hope to see you again.

Cheryl.hurd@marriottsales.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013

Typical Marriott: great bedding, furniture starting to seem dated but in good shape, friendly staff. The bar/restaurant area has been moved and remodeled since I was here last year and are a vast improvement. Hotel is in a good a good location. I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank lala085
Hello!

Thank your staying with us again! We are pleased you enjoyed the remodel of the Great Room as much as we have. It provided a lovely atmosphere that all of our guests can appreciate.

See you soon!

Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2013

The staff there is just exceptional - all very friendly, attentive and knowledgeable! The hotel has a very convenient location to restaurants, bars and shoppings. Although rooms and facilities are a little bit dated, but still in good shapes. FYI, concierge lounge is closed during weekends, elites use the restaurant for free continental breakfast and there is a $4 surcharge for picking hot breakfast.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank xavierkuai
Greeting from Alaska!

Thank you for sharing your recent experience. We appreciate you sharing that while the Concierge Lounge is closed on the weekend we do provide an option. All of our guest are important to us, however our preferred members loyalty is appreciated and we always give a little extra care!

Hope to see you again.

Fort Walton Beach, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2013

I stayed here on a Friday night. A great location in downtown, it is very convenient to restaurants/bars and local attractions. The staff was very friendly and knowledgeable. The facilities are all first rate and the room was comfortable. I had a problem with very poor wireless in my initial room and they immediately moved me to a room that had good reception. I will stay here again if I am in Anchorage.

Room Tip: Check your wireless reception before unpacking.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Sail2fun
Greetings Sali2fun!

Thank you for choosing the Marriott during your trip to Anchorage. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. Glad we could accommodate a solution to the Internet problem you encountered. A sincere apology for the inconvenience.

Keep Sailing!

Regards,

Washington, DC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2013

Last time I was in Anchorage I stayed at the Embassy Suites, rated #1 on this site, and thought it was awful. So, I decided to stay at the Marriott this time, in spite of the rating, and glad I did! If there's one thing about Marriott properties it's that you know what you'll get-sight unseen, unlike Hilton properties where you never know until you get there. The Embassy Suite room was divided into what they called a suite, but the two rooms were very small and crammed with furniture which made it feel claustrophobic. I couldn't wait to leave.

But I arrived at the Marriott this trip, check in was quick and pleasant and my room was large, clean and bright, as expected. The property is right downtown, so within easy walking distance of shops and restaurants, which was extremely convenient. In addition, being a high rise, the views facing the mountains are stunning. The bed was comfy, as usual, and breakfast was good. Valet parking is quite expensive for Anchorage, but there is metered parking on the street, which is free from 6PM to 9AM and all weekend long and there's also a lot in front of the hotel that charges $1 an hour, so there are options. My only complaint would be the slowness of the Internet. If I were paying for it, I would have demanded a refund. Other than that, I had a wonderful stay. Highly recommend.

Room Tip: Ask for mountain view....breathtakingly beautiful!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
6 Thank romadaro
Dear romadao,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about your recent stay. We sincerely appreciate your willingness to give our property a try and are even more thrilled that we were able to live up to your expectations. We have no doubt that we are the premier property in Downtown Anchorage and are so happy that you would agree. I love your statement that you know what you are going to get with a Marriott and that is exactly why we are proud to hang the Marriott flag.

Glad you were able to enjoy the breathtaking views that I never get tired of seeing!

Atlanta, GA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2013

I would have expected more from a Marriott property, but we experienced an average stay. We arrived around 6p and left by 6a the next morning. The staff was friendly enough and the room was Ok. There was no Wow factor with this property, so if you are in for a short stay, this a decent option.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Varucca
Dear Varucca,

I am sorry that you weren't wowed by our property, however I am also glad that you didn't have a unpleasant stay with us. You certainly were here for a very short time, I'm sorry you didn't get to experience more of our property, the amazing views and our great city.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2013

I checked in around 11p after a long trip from Kotzebue. Upon reaching my room, I noticed the door was ajar. I [cautiously] went into the room and checked everything out. Everything was in place but one of the beds looked as if it has been slept on. Once completely in the room I called downstairs to the attendant to let her know what had happened. She said, "okay," and that was about it. I left out (but took my laptop and valuables with me) for my meetings and returned about 7p that evening. Again, the door was ajar. This time I didn't even go in. I hurried downstairs to have a face-to-face conversation with the attendant. The new attendant was very pleasant and agreed to allow me to grab the rest of my belongings out of the room and change my room. She even agreed to comp the WiFi. The next room was better (it seemed to have a different bathroom set up) but only had one bed-- not a major issue since I was the only one in the hotel.
Overall, this hotel was average (definitely nothing spectacular). I'm not exactly sure of the price my organization paid but if it was anything over $100, they overpaid.

PS: The barista in the hotel's coffee area (actually the bar area in the restaurant) was EXCELLENT! Very friendly and a bubbly personality. Unfortunately I do not remember her name. She should be part of the front desk staff-- or she should TRAIN the front desk staff.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank JoClayB
Dear JoanCBee,

Please accept my sincere apologies for the experience you had during your recent stay. I know how travelling alone can be a bit un nerving at times and the fact that you had to feel that way in our Hotel is absolutely unacceptable. Please know that we have followed up to internally to see who you spoke to when you made your initial call and that has been addressed. Also, we have looked into why the door was ajar in the first place. While our property in not perfect, security is a top priority and I am so sorry you didn't get that same urgency with the first attendant you spoke with.

Thank you for sharing your experience with us, as this is how we will continue to improve.