“Disappointed”

Anchorage Marriott Downtown
Ranked #10 of 74 Hotels in Anchorage
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Was somewhat disappointed with the Marriott Anchorage. Ive stayed at this chain in other cities many times, but won't stay at this particular hotel again. When I got to the hotel I was told my truck wouldn't fit in their parking lot(its a stock pickup) but I could park on the street for free. But if it snowed, you had to move your truck by 6am to avoid getting towed to allow for plowing. The room had food all over the floor so I called the desk and they said they would send someone up to clean the room. I left for a banquet a few blocks away, never used the restroom. When I got back they had vacuumed the room, but I noticed toothpaste in the sink and the shelves in the bathroom hadn't been dusted in a long time. I expect more from a Marriot.

Room Tip: There are better places in Anchorage.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed February 15, 2013

Third trip to Anchorage and finally got to try the downtown Marriott. I will first say that the staff was super friendly. My room was spacious and clean. I did stay on the Concierge Floor but others in my group stayed on other floors and all reported good reviews. The food quality was a couple of notches above other Marriott's I've stayed in, but the Breakfast Buffet was by far the best experience. Others will complain about the price, but this is the norm in Anchorage. I found parking a block away for $1.00 an hour, or you can use the valet service. Again, the cost is no different than that at other cities.

Room Tip: High Floors are the best.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Steven P
Reviewed February 12, 2013

Stopped in Anchorage for one day. Decided not to rent a car and chose this downtown location to be within walking distance of the museum.

Arrived 1:00 a.m.; both night- and day-shift employees were courteous. It was nice to walk into the 16th-floor room and see a view of the city lights; unfortunately, turning on the lights revealed a surprisingly dingy-looking room. The heater took quite awhile, which delayed sleep; the king-sized bed was comfortable.

Breakfast was pleasant; service was fast and the broken-yolk sandwhich was delicious (I had asked the server what she recommended). After breakfast, went up to the room and saw a striking sunrise view.

Walked back to the hotel a couple of times during the day and while I did appreciate the convenient location, it was rather depressing to return to such a drab room each time.

While adequate for a brief visit, I will probably try a different hotel the next time I want to stay in the downtown area.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank cjs123
Reviewed January 8, 2013

Located in a good location downtown, easy walking distance to wherever you need to go for business; shops and shopping mall short walks away. Room was very clean and comfortable. Staff extremely friendly, and went out of their way to please, particularly in the bar/restaurant. Breakfast not cheap, but filling and good quality. Only issue was charging $12.95 per day for internet access - a real peeve of mine, particularly in more expensive hotels - it should be definitely should be free.

Room Tip: Ask for room where you can see mountains in the distance - very beautiful.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Mold in shower, no movies available on tv,$24 per day parking plus valet tips, no computer available for free ($ 9 per hour) for those of us no longer carrying around a computer, no free continental breakfast ($18 for buffett), lousy sleep due to snow removal heavy equipment back up alarms, banging on pavement and scraping up piles of snow, People were very nice and helpful.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank drogrs8455
Reviewed December 11, 2012

They've been busy lately, updating the hotel and the rooms. The lobby is quite nice now, as are the bar and lounge. The staff is warm and friendly as always, and I slept well as the beds are very comfy. I will certainly be back to stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed December 11, 2012

We booked this hotel through Celebrity Cruises and all I can say is this hotel was pretty average to us - nothing special and pretty much a low key hotel. Room was a good size but view was really not that great. Our view was over looking at a parking lot. A bit disappointing as we paid top dollars for the room.

I believe the hotel was not fully booked as it was just the two of us eating dinner at the restaurant on our first night so we practically got all the attention we needed.

All in all it was not too bad to start a cruise BUT way too expensive. I would have expected more for the dollars we paid.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple