“Disappointing”

Modern Dwellers Chocolate Lounge
Ranked #6 of 29 Dessert in Anchorage
Cuisines: Cafe
Good for: Local cuisine
Description: Modern Dwellers Chocolate Lounge is Anchorage Alaska's only chocolate lounge- a chocolate and espresso experience amidst contemporary works of art and gifts. We're proud to use American made chocolate and local ingredients with an organic and natural emphasis in our artisan creations.
Reviewed October 30, 2013

Prices are outrageous, even by Anchorage standards. I found the drinking chocolate to be bland, without depth or complexity and rather bitter. I guess I really made a mistake by getting it with steamed milk. It never occurred to me that it would be SKIM milk! I was not offered any samples to help me while trying to decide what drink to order. My drink was only SLIGHTLY better than a warm cup of skim milk with about a half a cup of off-brand chocolate syrup in it. I got some sort of confection also, but it was so unmemorable that I can't review it except to say that if I don't even remember what kind of sweet I bought (truffle, bar, cookie?), it could not have been worth what I paid for it. I ended up throwing most of my VERY expensive drink away. Cannot recommend.

Reviewed October 15, 2013

Modern Dwellers has some stunningly beautiful chocolate truffle things with the oddest flavor combinations imaginable. After trying several of these expensive treats and being a bit disappointed (fish and chocolate don't go well together, people; I don't care what kind of fish it is or how it is prepared), I have determined to stick to the item that draws me back time and again. GET THE SPICY MAYAN DRINKING CHOCOLATE!!! Get it straight up, not in hot chocolate or in a mocha. It rocks. I swear that it is infused with serotonin uptake inhibitors. I get a buzz of that stuff every time I get it, and typically end up licking the demitasse cup to get every last drop, without regard for table manners. They also sell funky (and usually quite tasty) chocolate bars, but these are becoming rather easy to find; even Blockbuster is carrying some of them now). But no one else is selling the spicy Mayan drinking chocolate. So if you go, give it a try. Non-spicy version also available for those who inexplicably don't like spicy food.

Reviewed October 6, 2013

Never thought about drinking chocolate before. Was a real experience. I enjoyed it but they also make a mean cappuccino. Great place.

Reviewed September 13, 2013

Dream come true. The drinkable chocolate and the truffles were delicious. How fun! It is a little expensive, so it is a special treat - and what a treat it is!

Reviewed July 29, 2013

This is a great place for a little rest, wonderful chocolate and very good coffee. You also can buy neat gifts.