“Great Food Can't Fix What's Wrong”
Review of Jimmy's Sushi - CLOSED

Jimmy's Sushi
Cuisines: Sushi
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Anchorage, Alaska
“Great Food Can't Fix What's Wrong”
Reviewed March 27, 2013

I am writing this because Jimmy is a great guy, his fish and sushi bar recipes are as good as anyone's and I hope some well intended criticism will be of some help.

I have eaten at Jimmy's a dozen or more times over the last couple of years. I keep going back for the food. If the experience were just Jimmy and his sashimi I would have eaten there even more often.

What's right:
* Jimmy is a superb sushi / sashimi chef...period.
* His personality is warm and genuine; one can be confident he truly cares about every dish he serves (that can't be said about food served he is not personally preparing - see below).
* The fish is exceptional...he only buys small quantities of the freshest fish available.
* His prices are fair...he pays a premium for the quality of his fish and doesn't pass the additional expense on to his customers.
* The sauce recipes are wonderful. He makes each of them from scratch in house. His creativity and attention to detail is obvious here as well.
* I don't know how he does it and it may seem like a small thing...the rice is incredible
* There are some good points (more on this below) to the ambiance...some unique touches that shouldn't go overlooked

What's wrong? I hate to say this because Jimmy is a great guy...everything else is wrong:
*I will never completely understand why he hires such incompetent waitstaff. Over the years I have seen the young ones spending more time on their phones or flirting with each other than taking care of customers. On other nights it will be one of the terribly arrogant, unaware and condescending waiters he has had on the floor...the kind who start counting the tips before they clean a table. I should say that there was one gentleman (clearly not one of the regular crew) there at Christmas who we happened to meet twice...his attitude, sense of humor and professionalism made dining at Jimmy's an entirely different experience.
* Food can take seemingly forever (if it's not outright forgotten) to get to the table and then when it does it will often come out of order.
* The food that comers from the kitchen needs some real help. If it were even close to as good as it sounds in the menu's description or looks it would score many more points. Taste and appearance are plain none existent, very inconsistent, and thoroughly disappointing.
* Cleanliness isn't a priority. Little things like soy sauce stained menus, left over sauce and bits of food on the tables, floors that need attention throughout the night, unfortunately I could go on.
* A dining experience is a sum of the parts...Jimmy's apparently doesn't worry too much about the little things, e.g.: burnt out light bulbs in the bathroom, drab paint on the walls, presentation of the kitchen food; again, unfriendly / preoccupied waitstaff...I hate to say this list could continue at length and all these parts lead up to a less than enjoyable occasion.

With so many sushi restaurants in Anchorage who do get the little things right, Jimmy may want to step back and look at what can be done to really impress customers. If he and his food could carry the entire load over the rough spots, folks lining up out the door. As it is, I hope he has plenty of customers who really care about him, only need great fish, and will overlook the shortcomings.

Best of luck Jimmy. I hope this helps and will be eating with you at your restaurant for many years to come.

• Visited March 2013
5 Thank Robert S

Anchorage
“Average, definitely not one of the best Anchorage has to offer.”
Reviewed February 21, 2013

I'm not really certain why Jimmy's is listed at the top for Anchorage, the only really reason I see is because of the low amount those who have reviewed this restaurant.

I visited during a Groupon Special they had and I was fairly satisfied with the food but I wasn't completely impressed. There was nothing that really stood out about them above other locations such as Ronnie's, The Dish, Silk or Samurai Sushi. Service was standard if not mediocre. Most of the time waiters were there just standing and staring but not really aware of when to check on things or what to even do.

The location needs major renovations as well. They pretty much just bought the old mongolian bbq building from them, quickly painted over the graffiti without using any primer and just tossed in some japanese/asian props inside.

The food is fine but you definitely could find better at Harus or Sushi Ya, both of which are right down the road.

• Visited October 2012
Juneau, Alaska
“What a joke”
Reviewed February 18, 2013 via mobile

Would you eat in a place that bills itself as New York Style Japanese cuisine??? Well, neither would I. Don't waste your time or money.

1 Thank JuneauMan
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“You'll need to think twice”
Reviewed February 14, 2013 via mobile

The reason why I recommended this place for a girls night out was because the reviews on here says "best sushi an better then dish". I honestly believe ratings and comments on Trip Advisor is not 100% legit. When I first walked in this place it looked all busted I was not greeted as you would in any other sushi restaurant. I was sitting waiting for my girls to come in and the guy waitress (black suited) did not offer us water. when we ordered we finally realized that he forgot one of friends order after 30-1hour later serving the rest of our food. His response was "Oh you ordered a Shrimp Killer Roll?". his expression was bland and not sincere. the order he forgot to place was the first order given. He was completely rude and had zero customer service experience. The food was not what I was expecting! I gave them the benefit of the doubt that this was a hole in the wall restaurant with great food. I thought wrong, its not better then The Dish or any other sushi place in town. What a waste.

Anchorage, Alaska
“Great sushi, great service.”
Reviewed February 12, 2013

I went to Jimmy's last month for the first time with two other people. We ordered about eight rolls and a couple of hand rolls. Everything that we ordered was fantastic. The hand roll that I had was absolutely amazing. Most of the rolls we ordered were on the spicy side, with spicy tuna or jalapenos. The roll presentation was excellent as was the service. This is Anchorage, not Las Vegas, don't expect a Vegas interior at the restaurant. It was clean and comfortable, but not flashy. The prices are about the same as any other sushi place in Anchorage, which do seem to be a bit higher in Anchorage than the lower 48, but it is worth it. I will be eating here again.

• Visited January 2013