“5 Star Service Budget Hotel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Americas Best Value Inn - Executive Suite Airport

Americas Best Value Inn - Executive Suite Airport
Ranked #55 of 71 Hotels in Anchorage
Hammond, Louisiana
“5 Star Service Budget Hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2011

If there were a separate classification for budget hotels, I would give it 5 stars. The hotel staff, the manager , front desk staff, continental breakfast hostess, and the shuttle drivers were prompt, courteous, very responsive, and most helpful. Although the hotel is old and shows its age, the room was spacious. It had a large sofa, writing table, newly-renovated bathroom, and a roomy kitchen. The latter was equipped with a refrigerator, microwave, and perhaps a stove. The hotel is located much nearer to the airport than downtown. However, you can easily ride downtown inexpensively (every ½ hour daylight hours, weekdays via city bus (People Mover). The bus stop is conveniently located across the street from the hotel. The same route also goes to the airport during certain hours and days. The hotel has a shuttle service to the airport. A word of caution: taxicab drivers will be reluctant to bring you from the airport to hotels near the airport because it is more profitable for them to go downtown from the airport.

Room Tip: Try getting the manager's special pricing directly from the hotel
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank FJJ_Aug2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2011

We needed a cheap, clean place to stay near the airport after flying all day. This place fit our needs. Arrived in town after midnight local time. Their shuttle picked us up without incident and took us to the hotel for some much needed sleep. Check in process was quick and friendly. Rooms are dated but clean. Our room was very warm when we arrived so we cracked open the window. Breakfast was simple but edible. Overall a fine place for people looking for a clean and affordable place to sleep for a few hours.

• Stayed August 2011
      Location
      Rooms
3 Thank jams33
Anchorage, Alaska
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2011

The employees need to take customer service instruction. They are extremely rude and could care less about problems. The internet was so slow we had to go across the street to Wendy's to get online. The policy for not being allowed to take coffee and juice to the room is absolutely ridiculous and the kitchen Nazi that oversees the continental breakfast needs to have a good smack down for her rude, arrogant smarmy attitude. I did not speak with one staff member that didn't have an attitude or at the very most were sullen and unhappy to be there. We will never stay there again, the company will never book rooms there again and we will make sure that everyone that does business with our company is advised about the conditions.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank linda C

Travelers are raving about these Anchorage hotels

Glendale, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2011

The reason there were only two dim lights in the big room, they didn't want you to see how nasty it was. The bedroom was fine, the bathroom was the best part of the room. Found out from family that we were staying in the Red Light district there on Spenard Rd. Won't ever come back again.

Room Tip: Don't bother with this hotel.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Legacygold
Okinawa, Japan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2011

I had originally made a reservation here for 2 nights because I was just flying through Anchorage but I had never been to Alaska before so I figured I'd schedule my flights with a day or so in between so I could check out the city. Upon arriving at the hotel and realizing just how far I was from the downtown area, I asked what the hotel's policy was for changing my reservation (I was thinking about staying one night instead). I was told that if I could let the front desk know within 30 minutes if I was going to check-out early that it wouldn't be a problem to change my reservation (I explained that I was then going to try and change my flight so I could leave early). I was able to reschedule my flight and call the front desk within 5 minutes. I explained the situation to the woman who answered at the front desk and was assured that everything was ok. I then remembered being told when I called to make my reservation that cribs were available, so I called to have one brought to my room. I was initially told that one was on it's way, but about 2 minutes later received a call informing me that it would be an additional fee. Not knowing what condition the crib might be in after seeing the condition of the furniture already in the room, I decided it probably wasn't worth it. The furniture was old and dirty, and I made the mistake of letting my 9 month old son crawl around on the floor assuming it had been recently vacuumed only to find him playing with a wad of hair he found on the floor moments later. When I went to check-out and catch the complimentary shuttle to the airport (the only positive I found at this hotel), I was told that the manager was the only person who could authorize my early check-out and of course he wasn't there. I was told to call on Monday to speak with him and that he could straighten any issues out (it was Saturday). I will also add that as I waited to check-out there was another disgruntled guest making a complaint to the ladies at the front desk, and after she left they laughed at her complaint and acted as if they could care less, and I found that very unprofessional. So on Monday I called but the manager was unavailable, so I left a detailed message. Tuesday comes and the same thing. Finally on Wednesday I reach him not on his direct number which I was given, but at the front desk. I explained my situation and what I had been told, and he flatly replied that they could not alter reservations. I explained again that I was told it was ok, and that had I been told that I couldn't alter my reservation I would not have changed my flight plans and I would have stayed both nights if I was going to be charged for both nights anyways. He was completely unsympathetic, and offered no explanations for what I had been told by his staff. I then called the hotel's corporate office to make a complaint and was told that I had to fill out a complaint through their website. When I did so, the website conveniently was unable to submit my complaint, and even now, 2 months later, will not allow me to submit a complaint. In summary, this hotel is way overpriced and not well-kept, and the customer service is very poor.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank AirForceWife11
Scarsdale, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011

We stayed three nights in July. Room was pretty spacious, comfortable & clean. We were happy with room and price.
Guest service need to improve. We called front desk and asked for extra blanket and it took more than two hours to receive. I’d careless if they phoned explain. Other than that everything was good.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank GoYankees1004
Lincoln, Nebraska
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2011

Because of some of the reviews I read about this hotel, I was leery about staying here. But since we were arriving late and leaving early the next morning and it was one of the cheaper hotels, I decided to give it a try. We were impressed enough that we ended up booking a room for the night before I had to fly out. The room was large and clean. One room we stayed in had a kitchenette and both rooms had a separate bedroom from the living area. The breakfast was good and included waffles. It was a quiet area and we didn't have any problems with loud people or dirty rooms as some reviewers have complained about. It was a quick drive to downtown and to the airport.

Room Tip: I booked on their website and received a discount.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple