“Fantastic Experience”

Get Up and Go! Tours
Ranked #28 of 82 Tours in Anchorage
Reviewed July 23, 2012

My 2 children (10 and 13) and I did the lodge-based Family Explorer trip with Get Up and Go at the beginning of this month. We had a fantastic time. I was happy in advance about the concept of the small tour group but the reality exceeded my expectations. We loved the itinerary and schedule and the flexibility that was built into it. It was the perfect combination of activity and driving to the next stop. We also loved that the lodges we stayed in were clearly not the usual tourist destinations. I think one of my kids' best experiences from the trip was the night that we spent at one of our lodges hanging out and playing games with all the other lodge guests around the outdoor fire.

3  Thank Jill S

Reviewed July 23, 2012

A combo group of friends and family just finished the 10-day Alaska Explorer Tour with Get Up and Go! Tours. Everything was so well choreographed, planned and executed, this was the trip of a lifetime. Everyone from owner, Geoff Downes, to our tour guide, John H., was so nice, informative and completely committed to our total experience. We loved every activity and excursion.

Don't walk, run NOW to your computer and book a trip with these amazing people: www.getupandgotours.com.

The hiking, canoeing, sea kayaking, overall sightseeing, whitewater rafting, the bush plane....everything was fantastic. I also feel like they did a really terrific job of preparing you for the trip, their packing list is perfection. I felt very prepared to go with each area's climate. We also had a wide range of ability in our group and everyone was accommodated. I also feel like they do a great job of educating you about the trip and what to expect...reading the full itinerary really helps manage your trip and understand the day-to-day travel and activity. Also, take the time to complete the form they send you about your food and dietary needs. I've never experienced such care and attention to make sure we were well-equipped with food we enjoy.

Alaska is a must-see destination, but don't do it without these folks. The combination was magical.

4  Thank RitmoNY
Reviewed July 16, 2012

I spent 5 nights base camping with this group in the Denali area - hiking, white water rafting, glacier hiking and good eating. Our guide was an Alaskan native and an excellent cook. Be prepared for much rain and bring a completely water proof jacket, pants and covering for your back pack. The weather can be extreme from 80 to 40 degrees farenheit. The glacier hike was the highlight of the trip! One night was spent at a camp site without shelter and our guide was expected to cook in the cold and rain without appropriate shelter - this made for a miserable evening that could have been just fine if Get up and Go had provided her with a cook tent. I suggest that you contact any company prior to a camping trip to find out exactly what the camping accomodations are and the support equipment that is provided for the guide/s. Overall a very good experience.

3  Thank Traveler942
Reviewed June 17, 2012

We just returned from the 6 day/5 night, camp/lodge Kenai Explorer trip and had a blast! Our family of 5 (3 teenaged boys) was part of the larger group of 12. We were accompanied by 2 guides, who were terrific about accomodating all the different activity & adventure levels. We were on a tight schedule that allowed to do so many acitvities- hiking, sea kayaking, white water rafting, and more- but we never felt rushed. The food was wonderful, and the lodge was a delight after camping at beautiful established camp sites. I cannot think of a better way for an active family to experience Alaska- its beauty, outdoor fun and amazing people and wildlife- than to Get Up and Go!

5  Thank FrancescaMThomas
Reviewed September 10, 2011

I have just completed a 10 day Alaskan Explorer Lodge Based tour with Get Up & Go Tours and it was fantastic.If you are looking for an Alaska Multi - Sport,Hiking & Family Adventure Tour then shop no further you have found your provider.This tour operator offers various choices to choose from for what you want to do.I chose the Alaska Explorer (Multi-Sport/Hiking Tour) for the period August - September which is advertised as (Fall Colours and Northern Lights).The tour operator offers Camp or Lodge Based Tours.
They work in small numbers I was one of eight people on tour plus guide total 9 which makes for more friendly travel.
I was not disappointed I saw beautiful fall colours and the Northern Lights twice but be prepared to look for the lights yourself the accomodationand or guide that you stay at may not wake you when the light show is on.
The hiking park of the trip can be strenuous but well worth the reward at the end and you go at your own pace no one rushes you to finish at a particular time .
I won't go into detail as you can check it all out with detailed itinerary & activities at www.getupandgotours.com
The accomodation at all places was acceptable as was the food .The activities although included in the tour price are conditional if you choose not to do it so be it but that will be your loss.
The days can be long and there are days that you are just on the road to get to the next destination but if the guide I had is anything to judge then the lunches provided are worth the long ride,but the ride is scenic with comfort and photo stops and you are seeing Alaska .You are treated to a cooked by the roadside lunch be it chowder or barbecue sausages ,with tea and coffee and fresh fruit what more could you ask for.Other days all ingrediants are provided and you prepare your own lunch with more than enough choices .Fresh fruit,snacks,etc
More than enough time on you own to explore especially at Denali and you must take the flightseeing trip over the park to Mt McKinley in a light plane an optional extra but well worth the money .
The sighting of wildlife cannot be guaranteed but a buzz when you do see them just do your homework for animal migration and pick you tour accordingly.
You get Sea Kayaking,Glacier Trekking,Whitewater Rafting,Canoeing,Hiking,Bush Plane Flight into McCarthy,Ferry Crossing,Denali National Park,Wrangler-St Elias National Park,Tangle Lakes,Worthington Glacier,Valdez and Price Willaim Sound what more could you ask for.
I am not the fittest person but I did everthing except whitewater rafting(its personal) and really enjoyed my time spent in Alaska with this tour provider and I think you will to.

Give it a go you will not be disappointed.

7  Thank KeenTraveller12372