“Room with a view”

Ranked #9 of 73 Hotels in Anchorage
Chinnor, United Kingdom
“Room with a view”
Reviewed June 3, 2014

Very impressed with all aspects of this hotel - the room, which was extremely spacious, the staff (very pleasant and friendly) and the breakfast (good selection of food, both hot & cold, fresh fruit etc). It is somewhat out of town but is therefore very quiet and no problem if you have a car. They run a shuttle bus for guests into town once an hour. Our room on the second floor overlooked the Lake and we were able to watch a moose enjoying its supper on the opposite bank soon after we arrived!

Room Tip: Ask for one overlooking the lake.
Green Features: We like to re-use towels and therefore hang them up, however, two were left and two were taken for some strange reason! Also I wish hotels would use re-usable plates & silverware but I guess it makes for too much dishwashing!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lavinia4248

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
pa
Reviewed June 3, 2014

I like the newer Springhill's - they have clean and comfortable rooms, nice design and colors-
and really have a good bang for your buck.
This location was a little further from the airport; but, I thought it was one of the best options in Anchorage. There are very few newer properties- do not hesitate to choose this location.
It is near a University and quiet. I would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lilimadsn
Reviewed May 28, 2014

This hotel is located near the native hospital and about a 10 minute drive from downtown. If you don't mind being a little out of the way from things, it can be a good choice. I believe they have a shuttle, but not sure of the schedule because I had a car. I was welcomed as a Marriott Gold and the staff were all nice and polite. The hotel and my room were clean. They have breakfast which includes hot and cold choices. There is plenty to get your day started. There is a pool and fitness center and a hking trail outside which goes around the lake. There is a business center with one computer. I did have a few problems with the computer, but hopefully that has since been resolved. There are really no eating places close by, but if you have a car or use the shuttle, it should not be a problem. I would have no problem staying at this property again.

Room Tip: Try for a lake view.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank debbiejo
Soldotna, Alaska
Reviewed May 28, 2014

I've stayed at the University Lake SpringHill Suites Many times. You know it's a great place when the people who work at this hotel are always the same plus I like when they remember my name. The only think is I wish the breakfast was a little better but the University Lake SpringHill Suites is one of the best in Anchorage.

Room Tip: Get a lake view room
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Huntsville, Texas
Reviewed May 12, 2014

The thing that stood out the most for me here was the plentiful room for the included breakfast. The area with the food was nicely spread out, the quality and selection at breakfast was good, and the dining area was also spacious. (Many of these kinds of hotels have very cramped food service and dining areas.) The staff overall also was friendly and attentive. The only odd issue was the length of the hallways and the related distance to walk to my room from the elevator--it has the number of rooms that would have been more typical of a hotel with one more floor--so it really is quite spread out. But, it's clean and modern at a decent price in comparison to the competition.

Room Tip: Consider asking for a room close to the elevator.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Chris R, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Anchorage University Lake, responded to this review, May 19, 2014
Dear Tony9876,

I appreciate you taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us. I have already forwarded on your comments to my team so they know the hard work they are putting in is paying off. I'm happy you enjoyed your stay and our breakfast and I hope to see you again in the future!

Very Respectfully,
Chris J. Racanelli
Munford, Alabama
Reviewed April 1, 2014

I stayed here for the duration of my trip to Anchorage. This is a very nice hotel with free breakfast and hot coffee all day long! It has a nice walking trail alongside the lake and it is in a really good location. They also offer the government discount and the rooms were really nice. I will be staying here again on my next visit! I am a Platinum Marriott Rewards Member and they treated me very well.

Room Tip: Get the lake view in the summer!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Jody D
Hi Jody D,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay with us. I'm happy to know that you had a comfortable and enjoyable stay and hope to see you again in the future.

Very Respectfully,
Chris J. Racanelli
Kenai, Alaska
Reviewed December 12, 2013

My son was competing at the UAA campus several years ago and his coach chose to stay at this hotel which is close by. This was my first time at the hotel and previously for family trips to the big city we were staying at the Holiday Inn Express (HIE) on Spenard. We have been staying at this hotel ever since. The primary reasons are the coach which is big enough to sleep on or can use the hide-a-bed (better room for family of 4). We also like the outside atmosphere - nice to look out the window and not see traffic and big city life. Price has been less than the HIE. We do miss some of the breakfast items at the HIE though.
It is also close to the hospital (within walking distance in the summer). I had an unexpected stay in the hospital and no idea how long I would be in. The hotel management really went out of their way to ensure my wife had a room during the busiest time of the year, with no idea how long she would need one. I think the room price is very fair compared to other hotels in Anchorage. Beds and pillows are comfortable. We often bring our own pillows on trips, but not for this hotel.
Most (90%) of stays here I would rate this hotel five stars, but not consistently so I'm giving it four for the following reasons. Have walked into dirty rooms a couple times. The last time we stayed here we arrived and had to wait for 30 minutes for a room, and was well into normal check in time. TV did not have sound one time and waited for 4 hours until manager came on shift and knew how to fix (unplug cable box) - common issue apparently and so everyone at the front desk should have been aware of it.
And as others have said this can be and usually is a very noisy hotel between the sports teams and seems like routine rude people being loud in the halls all hours of the night. There is a large gap under the door that lets the noise in. Fortunately my family likes to sleep with lots of white-noise and the HVAC in the room is very loud. We also bring sound making clocks - still there have been times where even that is not enough to mask the noise outside in the halls.
Also as others have said there are no restaurants within walking distance. Not a big deal for our family but might be for some. The hospital has the closest food (which is quite good), and also a Subway.

Room Tip: Each room as advantages and disadvantages. Closeness to elevator is more convenient but noisier. Hav...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family