“What a great place to stay in anchorage....”

SpringHill Suites Anchorage University Lake
Ranked #7 of 74 Hotels in Anchorage
Reviewed July 16, 2013

We recently took a vacation in Alaska, as you probably know the prices of hotels here are very high, we stayed in 3 hotels here and by far this one is the best one in Anchorage.
Clean, Comftarble, nice standard breakfest, staff was great, its about 10 min from the airport and 10 from downtown but we stayed there without a car, used their shuttle service which was great.
the High speed internet was the best i have yet to see at any hotel, maybe even faster than my home, we could stream movies on 2 seperate ipads without a problem, HD movies...
the beds are comf, the room layout is a bit odd with the new modern look to it, but thats ok with us, even has a small fridge and microwave.
there is a nice walking path and park right behind the hotel, the pool and hot tub are nice the kids loved it.
even though it looks a bit far this for sure is the best hotel in anchorage!

There are newer reviews for SpringHill Suites Anchorage University Lake

Reviewed July 13, 2013

Stopped here for my first night after an evening flight into Anchorage, before driving south in the AM. Everything with my stay was flawless! The guy who checked me in was very nice and professional. I'd asked for a quiet room and they had me at the very end of the hallway, facing out into the woods. The room was immaculate, spacious and all very modern. I didn't take advantage of the breakfast, but should have - it looked delicious!

I don't know that I would have wanted to spend multiple night here if sight seeing was the plan because I like to be more in the action and walkable distance, but I do know there is a free shuttle to get you around - downtown, airport, train depot, etc.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed July 12, 2013

After a week and a half of various B&Bs and hotels (including another SpringHill Suites in Fairbanks that wasn't as nice), we ended our Alaska trip at the University Lake location for one night and it was by far the best stay of our vacation. Considering how expensive any lodging in Alaska is during the summer, this place turned out to be a great deal.

The hotel is located slightly outside of the downtown area, but their shuttle vans took us anywhere we wanted to go (the movies, airport, etc.), and honestly we'd seen enough of downtown Anchorage by this point in our trip. The staff was gracious, incredibly friendly and even called our room a few minutes after we got in to make sure we were happy. The building feels new and clean. There's a lovely lake behind the building along with a dog park and various trails where you can spend hours hiking. The breakfast was a little busy, but that's only because the hotel was booked. We'd easily stay here again!

Reviewed July 11, 2013

This hotel is in a quiet area, overlooking a lake from one side. The rooms are large, with modern furniture and are very clean. Breakfast is included in the price, quite standard but of good quality. Coffee, tea and cookies are available throughout the day. They offer a complimentary bus service into town and/or airport. Very friendly and helpfull staff. Having stayed in various hotels in Anchorage, we find this one the best and would choose it again. Good value for money.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 9, 2013

This hotel did not live up to my expectations. For one of the Marriot chain hotels, I expected more. The room was not what I expected. The lighting was horrible, especially in the bathroom. The throw pillows on the couch in the room were dirty and grimy. The bed was not made up properly and the room was also quite small. The pool is right next to the foyer/entrance and there were families with children there. The children ran out of the pool into the hallway and into the elevator. Riding a wet elevator with wet dripping companions is not my version of a 4-star hotel. The pool with noisy occupants should not be the first thing you encounter on your way to the elevator. However, breakfast was good, with enough variety and fresh fruit, and my room had a view of the lake, which was satisfying. Be sure to ask for a room on the second floor or higher with a view of the lake and mountains.

Room Tip: Do not stay on the first floor. Ask for a room overlooking the lake. You will also get a view of the...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
NMS-Lodging, Director of Marketing at SpringHill Suites Anchorage University Lake, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2013

Hello –
I recently received a copy of your review and want to thank you for the feedback. Our goal is to provide great service, but we didn’t meet your expectations during your stay. Please accept my sincere apology.

The lobby area was designed to make all of the popular amenities convenient for guests. However, I don’t like to hear that there were “dripping” children on the floor or in the elevator. There is no excuse for throw pillows being less than perfectly cleaned.

I’ll pass your comments on to the general manager and she’ll address them right away.

Hope you enjoyed your trip.

Shelley
Director of Marketing

Reviewed July 7, 2013

I seldom gush over a property but this one is truly a wonder. The service is excellent, the property itself is new with many amenities. All the little touches in the rooms are above average from the LED lights on the headboard to internet cables that actually aren't broken. The room layouts are nice with separate shower and toilet rooms with a large closet in between. The in room refrigerators and microwave are also convenient and nice.

The only negatives I have are very nit picky. Some staff seem to lack an understanding of hospitality. Can't park in the spots reserved for checking-in? That is because the security staff and other staff routinely use these spots. Housekeeping staff have no problem pushing carts and other items into the elevator even when you are already in there. Lastly, what is up with the badly cut holes around the lights in the bathrooms in some of the rooms? I have stayed in three and they all had this issue.

Overall though, this is by far the best hotel in this price range in Anchorage and I would highly recommend it to anyone visiting the area. The location is beautiful, next to the lake and with a great view of the mountains. The outdoor firepit is a great feature. Breakfasts are the same most days which is somewhat disappointing but far superior to the other marriott properties in the area.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 4, 2013

Good motel, with 24-hour coffee service, courteous staff, and an adequate breakfast. The retro modernist decor was interesting, although I am always give more credit to the service and cleanliness than the interior design scheme. The breakfast was good, although the open space and families with children made it a bit noisy, and for a few minutes I felt like I was in an elementary school lunch line. Ultimately, however, they finished eating and things quieted down.

My only request is that guests do not wean pajamas to breakfast. That is so unclassy.

Room Tip: ask for the top floor, it is quieter and there will be no thumping feet early in the morning from th...