“Needed more time!”

Anchorage Museum at Rasmuson Center
Ranked #9 of 229 things to do in Anchorage
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Alaska's largest museum focusing on art, history, science and culture of Alaska.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Wheelchair access, Activities for older children, Stairs / elevator, Bathroom facilities, Lockers / storage
Reviewed September 20, 2013

We stopped in to the museum to pass an hour before going to dinner! I had no idea how wonderful this museum would prove to be! We were fortunate enough to see a temporary exhibit of photographs of "Real Alaskans" taken one a day and blown up to large poster size. The exhibit covered two floors and could be seen in almost its entirety from the center of a ground floor meeting space. Upstairs we enjoyed the small collection of modern art but moved swiftly on to the collection of native Alaskan tribal artifacts. This exhibit is accompanied by a series of short films describing native life now and through the last century. Each of the large glass cases are artfully arranged and clearly explained. Tools, clothing, domestic tools, weaponry and art are all displayed, giving a well-rounded view of each tribes particular skills and focus. We skipped the Alaskan history exhibit and the planetarium, both of which seemed a bit "dusty" in comparison to the other sleek exhibits. Even though we postponed dinner for an additional hour I could have definitely spent much more time here. The gift shop is expansive and carries some excellent bone and ivory pieces as well as more inexpensive items.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,115)

Reviewed September 20, 2013

The Anchorage Museum had wonderful and varying exhibits, and we and our grandson really enjoyed the visit. In fact, our grandson asked to return again the next day.

Reviewed September 19, 2013

My partner and I visited the Anchorage Museum at Rasmuson Center while we were in Alaska for Labor Day, and overall I was pleasantly surprised with how multifaceted this museum was.

I didn't really know what to expect with this museum, as we were just trying to do something in our final remaining hours in Anchorage before we headed to the airport. From the outside, it doesn't look as big of a museum as it is. We started in the native Alaskan exhibit, and that was extremely well-curated. They have a partnership with the Smithsonian Institution, so they clearly had a lot of funding. The exhibit is very modern and very comprehensive, with plenty of videos and artifacts and touchscreens to truly explain and give context of what you're looking at. I was very impressed this aspect of the exhibit.

After that, there was a bit of modern art by Alaskan artists, which I could take or leave. It was a small permanent exhibition, and it was just fine. There's also a very large Alaskan history exhibit which seems to take up half Museum, but it is extremely dated. For instance, it'll have headlines on poster boards saying, "Anchorage From 1862 To Today" and they would quote figures from "today" being 1980. The whole thing seem dated.

There is a very nice art gallery with some great amazing landscapes, and I was definitely glad that I checked it out. There's both abstract pieces as well as traditional pieces.

Overall, I would recommend a visit to the Anchorage Museum at Rasmuson Center. It had a lot more to offer than I thought it would have! We spent a good three hours there, and we easily could've spent more time .

Reviewed September 18, 2013

The art was very nice, obviously with a strong local flavor, with lots of native american work. But the show (that cost extra) was terrible.

2  Thank irbflyfish
Reviewed September 18, 2013

best museum I have ever seen - complete and friendly and lots of places to sit and enjoy the exhibits - plan on several hours here - this is for all ages