“Hit or miss...mostly miss”
Review of Spenard Roadhouse

Spenard Roadhouse
Ranked #26 of 892 Restaurants in Anchorage
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed December 7, 2012 via mobile

I've been here a couple times and like another reviewer said, I really want to like this place but it never works out. The atmosphere is cool very low key and local style. The food on the other hand is OK. If you get something safe like hummus or grilled cheese sandwich and sometimes a salad it's awesome! But if you try to veer away from that like a burger or wrap the flavors and the food isn't all there. A salad i had was so soggy, the burger was dry and i Had a wrap that Just had red cabbage and carrots in it, and Maybe two pieces of chicken. But other people I know have loved those items. But who knows maybe the chef on the days I went to have those wasn't doin so well.

1  Thank Shanelle M

Reviewed December 3, 2012

I heart this place so much! This place prides itself on AK grown and raised food and it is evident in their food offerings. I have never had a bad meal here…nor a bad drink;) It is a favorite of the hubby and myself, and we always make it a must-stop to bring out-of-town guests to. I have read the other comments and to those that just ordered the grilled cheese and commented… really??, there are other great non-meat items on the menu and THAT’S what you comment on? To each their own I suppose, but for me…everything is pretty fantabulous here. However, I must make a special shout out for two specific items. (1) Handmade sugared donut holes-It is like a funnel cake fluffily condensed into a ball. That’s the best I can describe it as. Don't believe me? Try it. And…(2) Bacon of the Month(Nov/Dec?)-"Lacquered pepper bacon with bourbon caramel dipping sauce." When the bacon came out, my husband takes a bite, looks at me and says, “I would leave you for this.” I take a bite myself and..well, can’t do anything but agree. This was BEFORE dipping the bacon into the bourbon caramel sauce (imagine Homer Simpson drooling).... Spenard Roadhouse, you may want to keep a divorce lawyer on site. If you’re coming to eat just a “house salad” and/or a “grilled cheese” well, know you’re getting quality ingredients, but know you are missing out on the rest of a great and tasty menu. Service has always been top-notch here bar or tableside and want to give a special shout out to Jason G. who took great care of us recently and probably had to suppress a chuckle at our gluttony.

Reviewed November 10, 2012

This is an awesome place! First, a really nice looking restaurant. Beauitfully decorated and "open". Decent selection of local beers. Friendly and welcoming staff. But what is awesome is the food! I asked the waitress which was better, the salmon or special (beer can chicken), and she said it was a tough call. After having both, I see what she means. Both were so good. No need for to-go boxes at our table. And what these people do with tator tots... game changers!

Reviewed October 26, 2012

Love the food. Its comfort food at its finest. Where else can you go to buy a single serving of smore? Delicious!

Reviewed October 25, 2012

Well, we go here a lot. It's almost always excellent. Good food, good beverage selections, good wait staff (usually). We had ONE incident on a morning/breakfast trip. Waitress had only us and one other table to wait on. Yet she let our bloody marys sit up on the bar for a good 10 minutes, visible to us, while she disappeared out back and when she came back to our table we had to ask her to go get our drinks, and let her know that they had been sitting there for 10 minutes! I was thirsty! She seemed less than thrilled that we called her out on that. and from that moment on she was rude and short with us and basically just a snot rag. So, for the first time in a long time, I had to leave a negative comment card. The restaurant called me and asked me about the incident, I explained and they thanked me. Pretty much end of story. She still has her job there, I've seen her a few times since then. Maybe she was just having a bad morning. I don't know, but this is not the rule there. This was the exception and we still go there regularly.