“Best meal in Anchorage”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed November 10, 2012

This is an awesome place! First, a really nice looking restaurant. Beauitfully decorated and "open". Decent selection of local beers. Friendly and welcoming staff. But what is awesome is the food! I asked the waitress which was better, the salmon or special (beer can chicken), and she said it was a tough call. After having both, I see what she means. Both were so good. No need for to-go boxes at our table. And what these people do with tator tots... game changers!

Reviewed October 26, 2012

Love the food. Its comfort food at its finest. Where else can you go to buy a single serving of smore? Delicious!

Reviewed October 25, 2012

Well, we go here a lot. It's almost always excellent. Good food, good beverage selections, good wait staff (usually). We had ONE incident on a morning/breakfast trip. Waitress had only us and one other table to wait on. Yet she let our bloody marys sit up on the bar for a good 10 minutes, visible to us, while she disappeared out back and when she came back to our table we had to ask her to go get our drinks, and let her know that they had been sitting there for 10 minutes! I was thirsty! She seemed less than thrilled that we called her out on that. and from that moment on she was rude and short with us and basically just a snot rag. So, for the first time in a long time, I had to leave a negative comment card. The restaurant called me and asked me about the incident, I explained and they thanked me. Pretty much end of story. She still has her job there, I've seen her a few times since then. Maybe she was just having a bad morning. I don't know, but this is not the rule there. This was the exception and we still go there regularly.

Reviewed October 23, 2012

Alright, after giving Spenard Roadhouse two looks -- one for takeout and one for a sit down lunch I'm ready to give it a review. Let me say that I REALLY wanted to love this place because it's local and apparently uses local produce in some of its salads and dishes. On the plus side, the portions are good and the chicken sandwich I first had was fulfilling. The house salad though was essentially a tub of romaine lettuce dumped into a container with a sprinkle of carrots, cabbage or carrots, and a couple of slices of cucumbers and grape tomatoes. It didn't taste bad - it just wasn't unique by any means and I felt somewhat overwhelmed by the amount of lettuce. For my lunch on-site I had a grilled cheese sandwich with the apple/spinach salad. Now there's an example of a good salad -- it had quality ingredients and a unique taste to it. The waitress was really nice and agreed to add turkey to my sandwich without hesitation, even though the menu doesn't list that as an option. The grilled cheese though was really nothing more than two pieces of white bread buttered up and cooked. The sandwich looked at my apple/spinach salad and seemed almost envious, wondering why it was so simple and basic compared to the salad. I think he was expecting to be on a foccacia or ciabatta roll, maybe have a few herbs, etc. It was simply a let down for a place that seems like it is trying to be a quality local option.

Reviewed October 1, 2012

On the outside it looks like what it is, and old chain family restaurant, but take a look inside for great food. I've had lunch here often, and the sandwiches are delicious as are the soups. Dinner is worth a visit too. It can be loud and busy...not a great place for a quiet dinner.