“HORRIBLE!!!”

Turnagain Arm Shuttle
Ranked #81 of 90 Tours in Anchorage
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: HOP ON ANY TIME, HOP OFF ANY TIME, AND COME BACK ON YOUR TIME. PRIME seats fill up fast. Seat capacity is twelve every hour. Do not wait to reserve! The shuttle begins its pick up behind the Anchorage log cabin Visitors Center and is open ended – Runs 7 days a week during tourist season May 10th – September 19th.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Food available for purchase
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

I would give this company a "0" rating if possible! Do not use this company!! They are very misleading on their website. We ultimately decided to book this group because their website made it appear as though we would have the whole day to "hop on and hop off" at our leisure, as long as we were at one of the pick up points before the shuttles quit running. (This was our first trip to the area and did not understand that this type of arrangement isn't actually possible!)

As if the blatant misleading on the website isn't enough to deter you, perhaps the way they handle the business will!! My family and I had originally booked seats for the 10:00AM shuttle because we were catching a late flight back from Barrow and wanted to be able to rest a little longer that morning. As we landed back in Anchorage at about 9:30 or 10:00PM I received a phone from the manager asking if we would care to do the 9:00AM shuttle instead, beacsue he was going to be short on drivers. We agreed. When the driver arrived (late), he began to inform us that we would be making 3 or 4 stops at about 5 minutes each and then going to the Wildlife Conservation Center where we would spend no more than an hour, then we would return to our origin of pick up. We explained to him that we understood it to be "hop on and hop off" at our leisure. I also asked him if it would be possible to add the whale watching cruise. He then informed us that it doesn't work this way and I would have to speak with his boss about the cruise option. His boss informed me that the cruise option had to have been booked in advance (per the website) and had nothing to say about the deceitfulness of his description of his shuttle service.

By this point, we had already changed our plans for this company (changing the time), the driver showed up late, we had to wait for some other guest to do a phone interview before we could even start, AND they deliberately mislead on their website; we had had enough!! We asked for a refund because we were highly dissatisfied! The owner refused! We still did not go on the tour although he decided to wrongfully keep the money. On the bright side, we decided to salvage our day and were told about Bob at PicTours Alaska. His tour was amazing! In fact, it was so good that we decided to book another one with him! If you are wanting a chance for some amazing photography and beautiful sights, I strongly suggest giving Mr. Bob a call!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Alaska was a wonderful place to visit, filled with beautiful scenery and wonderful people. Then we found the turnigan arm shuttle company. I refuse to capitalize the name of company, because it is not important. A very bad man must run this company. He does it by misleading people to believe that this is a hop on and off tour. WRONG, what it really is, is a tour that will carry you to what you prepay to do with them, then they carry you straight back. You have no choices to hop on and off different shuttles throughout the day like they advertise. You stay with the same shuttle. If you are like us, you may not know everything you want to do for that day, and are planning to spend the entire day hopping on and off shuttles to see different things. We had only booked one thing, and we're told that they would carry us to the rehab center for 1.5 hours and carry us back to Anchorage. We asked for our money back and was told "NO". That's fine, we told them that they could keep OUR money for services not rendered. Now, if you really want a great tour of the Turnigan Arm, we recommend Bob with PicTours Alaska, we went on back to back tours with him that day and made a friend for life. You can reach Bob at 1-907-441-2274. Tell him Lexi sent you.

Reviewed June 28, 2018 via mobile

I hate to leave a negative review, but I have to warn all you guys who think this company is a well oiled machine that allows you hop on and off different shuttles all day at different locations at your leisure during the company's operating hours. We did not know exactly what we all wanted to do on our trip, except that we definitely wanted to see the Wildlife Conservation Center. We booked the center and thought that if we saw something else that we liked on the Turnagin Arm route that we would pay for that activity on the day of the tour. Our scheduled pick up time was 10:00 A.M. because we flew in Anchorage late from Barrow the night before and wanted a little time for rest. After arriving at the airport that night, we had a message from the tour company asking if we could meet them at 9:00 A.M. instead. They told us they were short handed. We agreed to this, really not liking it, but we realize things happen. We arrived at the visitor center at 8:30 and noticed there were no other people waiting, so we called to make sure we were in the right place and was told we were. 10 minutes later we met the driver and the other two who would be going with us. We however were not allowed to leave, though everyone was there, because one person in the other party was being interviewed on the phone for a job. The driver told them to take their time. At this time we were told that we would be stopping at two or three places for about 5 minutes and then spend 1.5 hours at the Conservation Center. That would be it. I told the driver that we decided to do a cruise as well, but he informed me that it was impossible and that this was not a hop on and off tour. He saw that I was getting upset and called his boss. My fiancée took the phone and he told her the same thing. She then handed me the phone and I told him I wanted my $160 back and he told me NO. He then asked me why and I told him. At this time I was lied to and he told me that he had told my fiancée that he could get us the cruise. I KNEW HE WAS LYING BECAUSE WE DO COMMUNICATE AS A COUPLE. I at this time was not going to throw any more money at these people, and told him that if $160 was going to break him that I would take further measures on down the road. After we got off the phone we were harassed about 3 or 4 more times from this guy, even saying he would get us a different driver. The driver had done nothing but his job, this guy just likes throwing everyone else under the bus but himself. However around noon we met the most genuine man you could ever meet. His name was Bob, with PicTours Alaska, we went on back to back tours with him that day and made a friend for life. WE LOVE YOU BOB!! You can reach Bob at 1-907-441-2274. Tell him Shawn, Ronnie and Lexi sent you.

2  Thank Mountainman3474
Reviewed June 26, 2018 via mobile

When reading the description, I assumed that the service was an actual hop on and off - where I could spend an hour or so at each spot and pay for what I want to do as I go.
How its actually set up is you pay online for the shuttle and whatever other activities you would like to do, and they call to set up a time for your start.
Ben was very rude. Talked condescending to me about not answering my phone - I was on a cruise with no phone service, and I'm not tied to my phone while I'm on vacation - in order to set up a start time. I also received phone calls from a number in Florida. Sorry, when im in Alaska and don't live in Floroda, im assuming those are telemarketers.
The shuttle drivers were excellent! They shared stories along the route, and our 2nd driver spotted some moose along the road and turned around so we could get out for pictures. He also took us along a small hiking path along Byron Glacier.
Overall, if you would like to let someone else drive you while hearing about Turnagain Arm, it's a very good option.