“One of the greatest hotels” 5 of 5 bubbles

Crowne Plaza Anchorage-Midtown
Ranked #15 of 72 Hotels in Anchorage
GreenLeadersBronze level
Tappan, New York
“One of the greatest hotels”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013

This hotel staff has done their home work, the service is just perfect and everyone makes you feel at home even with you being far away from home. Best recommendation I can give for anyone who needs to stay over in Anchorage for they travels around Alaska.
Great place to enjoy and relax.

Room Tip: Higher floors are preferred, also the guest lounge is up on the 6th floor that would prevent from ha...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
TMGAlaska, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Anchorage-Midtown, responded to this review, July 21, 2013
Thank you for the 5 star Trip Advisor review! We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you back again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Hockley, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013

On hindsight this may not be the best location for a stay in Anchorage. It is fairly equidistant between the airport and downtown. They offer a free shuttle to the airport which we used. However there is nothing in easy walking distance near the hotel. Taxi to downtown cost us $12 each way. Ithink that if the hotel wanted to be more enterprising or helpful theu could offer a free, or low cost, shuttle to downtown.
We had two breakfasts and two dinners in the restaurant and the service was excellent and friendly and the waitresses were very helpful with my wife's allergies. The restaurant lacks atmosphere though as few people use it. That does mean it is not noisy though.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to write a Trip Advisor review, I'm glad to hear that our wait staff was very helpful in making suggestions to accommodate your wife's allergies. I also appreciate your candid feedback regarding providing a downtown shuttle. Your comments will help us to better serve our guests needs.
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

We stayed here thanks to a screaming deal on Hotwire. It's a little too fancy for us, but we didn't have any problem endulging in it. The hotel has a number of features and is kept spotless. There is a great breakfast buffet included too. Also, for those of you arriving late, its super easy to get to from the airport but is far enough away so you don't feel like you're staying at the airport.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sjohnston12
TMGAlaska, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Anchorage-Midtown, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to right a review on Trip Advisor for the Crowne Plaza Anchorage-Midtown. We appreciate the 4 star review and hope to see you again during your next trip to Anchorage.
Angleton, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013

I was on a recent photography tour and this hotel was our base from which the tour began and ended. It's conveniently located about 3 miles (maybe a little less) away from the Anchorage airport. They offer free shuttle service to and from the hotel which is helpful. Shuttle service from the hotel runs on the half hour, so don't expect it to be ready when you are. And you will probably have to actually call the hotel for a pickup from the airport.

My room was clean and everything worked just fine. The room and the hotel itself looked sort of 70-ish or retro on the inside. Furnishings looked a little dated in the lobby as well as my room, with those old colors of orange and green and gold that were so popular back in the 70's - 80's.

The hotel staff was courteous although not really always in the know. I had arrived two days prior to the start of my photo tour with a voucher in hand indicating I had pre-paid for those two extra days. I showed the voucher to the front desk and they had not the slightest clue as to the upcoming photo tour checking in or the fact that I had actually paid for those two days already.

The hotel itself is not really within walking distance of anything. To get to downtown or even the nearest starbucks requires a taxi unless you have rented a vehicle.

The room came with the standard amenities: coffee maker, mini-fridge, mini-microwave, shampoo, etc. The only thing missing from that was the shower cap (I actually like using the shower caps because I don't always want to wash my hair every time I take a shower).

I will say that the bed was extremely comfortable and I slept better there than in any other recent lodging.

The restaurant was definitely hit and miss in terms of food. I would not eat there again unless there was no place else to go.

All in all, it was an OK hotel and served my purposes. As another reviewer put it "Wishing it was more....". I probably will stay elsewhere should i ever choose to visit Anchorage in the future.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
TMGAlaska, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Anchorage-Midtown, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide a trip advisor review for the Crowne Plaza Anchorage-Midtown.
I appreciate your candid feedback and was pleased to hear our beds are "extremely" comfortable. As far as shower caps we do have them available at the front desk free of charge as well as many "forgot something" items like toothbrush, paste, razors and sewing kits. We appreciate your business and I hope your Alaska photo tour was perfect!
Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013

I stayed at the Crowne Plaza while on a business trip and it was a very nice small hotel. Had 7 floors, free wi-fi, really good $15 a day breakfast (a little high), nice lobby and nice front desk staff. Granite in restrooms, small refrigerator, and felt nice modern and clean. I would highly recommend staying at this hotel. The pool is a bit small but still nice.To the hotel I would only suggest longer drapes that hit the floor to really block out the light during the all light days in the summer. The only negative was that while in my room I could hear when someone was walking in their room on the floor above my room. I stayed on the 5th floor.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank HouTexasGal
TMGAlaska, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Anchorage-Midtown, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a Trip Advisor Review and we very much appreciate the 5 star rating!.
I will share you comments with our staff. We hope to see you again soon.
Hershey, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

Nice front desk staff. Nice big rooms. Nice big window. Clean. Quiet. Nice small details.. A folded ice bag that looks like a lemon on a water glass; a clip to hold the curtain fully closed; little extra spa amenities to help relax. Con... I'm really having a hard time waking up my family to go! They are so comfortable they all keep falling asleep :)

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Cindy H
Thank you so much for the 4 Star Trip Advisor Review, we are glad that you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again soon!
Anchorage, Alaska
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel 6 times in the past year for about a week each time. It is very conveniently located for me so I keep coming back but... almost every time I have been there, some issue has come up. Issues have gone from inconvenient such as checking into a room with a non-functioning HAC unit (happened twice), once they gave me a new room, the second time they sent a maintenance man who did nothing. I had to ask twice for a new room. Another stay the hotel decided to charge my debit card which I had given them two stays prior to post a hold. I asked that it be corrected, they did, but two days after I checked out decided to charge that debit card instead of the company card they were given. A week later I was finally reimbursed for the charge and overdrafts they caused with the $1500 charge. Every issue I had was eventually addressed but they are not issues that should occur in this caliber of hotel.

This hotel is a beautiful facility with many great amenities. The lobby, pool, and the rooms are very nice. The lack of a breakfast for most guests is somewhat baffling when the Juno restaurant is so limited.

I wish I could recommend this hotel, I really do. It has so very much potential, as previously mentioned it is a top rate building with many amenities and the housekeeping staff do seem to keep the rooms clean. If you read the other reviews, you will see that I am not alone in wondering about the caliber of the staff and their professionalism. The front desk staff seem overwhelmed, under trained, and perhaps understaffed. The basic management of the property must be lacking for the type of issues I experienced to occur.

Ultimately, I will no longer be staying at this hotel. As convenient as the location is, I am just no longer willing to wonder what will occur the next time I stay there.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms relatively close to the elevators or you might be in for a hike down a very long hallw...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank WIAKtravaler
TMGAlaska, Manager at Crowne Plaza Anchorage-Midtown, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor, I appreciate your candid feedback. I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you experienced due to the incorrect credit card being charged when you visited last November. I totally agree that such errors should never occur. I am glad that our accounting office was able to correct this error to your satisfaction.
I hope that you will allow us the opportunity to renew your faith in our product and service. I would be more than happy to personally handle your arrangements the next time you come our way.
Tammy Griffin, General Manager Crowne Plaza Anchorage Alaska