“Wishing it was more...”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Anchorage, Alaska
“Wishing it was more...”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel 6 times in the past year for about a week each time. It is very conveniently located for me so I keep coming back but... almost every time I have been there, some issue has come up. Issues have gone from inconvenient such as checking into a room with a non-functioning HAC unit (happened twice), once they gave me a new room, the second time they sent a maintenance man who did nothing. I had to ask twice for a new room. Another stay the hotel decided to charge my debit card which I had given them two stays prior to post a hold. I asked that it be corrected, they did, but two days after I checked out decided to charge that debit card instead of the company card they were given. A week later I was finally reimbursed for the charge and overdrafts they caused with the $1500 charge. Every issue I had was eventually addressed but they are not issues that should occur in this caliber of hotel.

This hotel is a beautiful facility with many great amenities. The lobby, pool, and the rooms are very nice. The lack of a breakfast for most guests is somewhat baffling when the Juno restaurant is so limited.

I wish I could recommend this hotel, I really do. It has so very much potential, as previously mentioned it is a top rate building with many amenities and the housekeeping staff do seem to keep the rooms clean. If you read the other reviews, you will see that I am not alone in wondering about the caliber of the staff and their professionalism. The front desk staff seem overwhelmed, under trained, and perhaps understaffed. The basic management of the property must be lacking for the type of issues I experienced to occur.

Ultimately, I will no longer be staying at this hotel. As convenient as the location is, I am just no longer willing to wonder what will occur the next time I stay there.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms relatively close to the elevators or you might be in for a hike down a very long hallw...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank WIAKtravaler
TMGAlaska, Manager at Crowne Plaza Anchorage-Midtown, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor, I appreciate your candid feedback. I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you experienced due to the incorrect credit card being charged when you visited last November. I totally agree that such errors should never occur. I am glad that our accounting office was able to correct this error to your satisfaction.
I hope that you will allow us the opportunity to renew your faith in our product and service. I would be more than happy to personally handle your arrangements the next time you come our way.
Tammy Griffin, General Manager Crowne Plaza Anchorage Alaska

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Maud, Texas
Reviewed June 28, 2013

The rooms are very clean and have a very pleasant smell when you first walk in. That was very inviting. The bed was very comfortable. The staff that we dealt with were all very friendly and helpful. Only suggestion is, if you are not driving, get a rental car because the restaurant Junos does not have a lot to offer and then when I did find something I wanted, they did not seem to have it available. Not really impressed with Junos. Also, if you have a problem with road noise and are having to get use to a total time difference, you may want to bring ear plugs because there is a lot of traffic noise on the highway. I was awakened by revving engines several times but will I stay in the Crowne Plaza again? ABSOLUTELY!!!! I will just bring earplugs

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
TMGAlaska, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Anchorage-Midtown, responded to this review, June 30, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a Trip Advisor review, we appreciate your 4 Star rating and I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay. I am sorry that you were disappointed in the menu choices in the restaurant but we are pleased that your overall stay was comfortable.

We appreciate you business and hope to serve your hotel needs in Anchorage in the future.
Atlanta, Ga.
Reviewed June 26, 2013

The CP was a great place to camp out a few days before our cruise. I do recommend a rental car, but there are several restaurants within walking distance of the hotel. The décor of the hotel is fantastic. The room was nice as well, and comfortable. The breakfast buffet at “Juno” was short on the food for the price, but you can order omelets, pancakes, etc from the kitchen so that was good. The staff was very friendly.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
TMGAlaska, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Anchorage-Midtown, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Thank you so much for the 5 star rating on Trip Advisor! I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Our staff takes great pride in providing exceptional service and they will be very pleased to read your review!
Hopefully we will have the opportunity to see you again here in Alaska - one visit is never quite enough to see everything.

Again, we appreciate your business and the great review.
Tammy Griffin Crowne Plaza Anchorage-Midtown
chicago, IL
Reviewed June 22, 2013

I stayed one night at this hotel. Wish I had stayed longer. Not sure I would enjoy staying at this hotel because it looked like just another ordinary chain hotel. Check-in was great, both fast and friendly.I was put on the club floor. The floor had a great evening cocktail service with great wine and beer.The club room was an extra great perk. My room was clean, very comfortable and modern. Very spacious. Great bathroom. Only draw back, I could hear the noise from the street.

Breakfast in the club room was also great. Great healthy options. Check out by phone was great, however, I didn't get the email folio I requested. Found this to be the best hotel in Anchorage, AK.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Crowne Plaza Anchorage-Midtown, we are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I totally agree that the Concierge Floor is a exceptional value with full breakfast in the Juno Restaurant as well as the great evening reception!
I will share your excellent comments with my staff, we love to hear from our guests, I'm sorry to hear it was bit noisy but very much appreciate the positive review!

We look forward to seeing you again should travel bring you to Anchorage in the future.
Tammy Griffin - General Manager Crowne Plaza Anchorage-Midtown
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed June 19, 2013

We used this hotel as a home base while touring Alaska by car and stayed at here three times during our visit. The staff was always pleasant and helpful and check-in very smooth. We are platinum Priority Club members so we were provided with a room on the upper floor and enjoyed a fabulous free breakfast that included omelets made to order and French toast. The hotel is clean and quiet-- mostly business travelers, but if you have a vehicle, the drive to downtown is quick. The beds were very comfortable and the windows have heavy curtains that you can close to keep out the nighttime sun. The hotel allowed us to keep our car parked in their lot while we took the train to Denali for two nights, and they also stored the frozen halibut that my husband caught in Homer in their kitchen ice chest until we left for the airport. I have nothing negative to say about this hotel-- definitely recommend it.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
TMGAlaska, Manager at Crowne Plaza Anchorage-Midtown, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Thank you so very much for the 5 star rating on Trip Advisor! I will share your review with our staff.
We appreciate your business and again thank you for taking the time to write a review, we love to hear from our guests.

Tammy Griffin General Manager Crowne Plaza Anchorage-Midtown
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed June 19, 2013

We had the opportunity to stay at this well positioned and very comfortable hotel in Anchorage.
Rooms were very neat, clean and tidy... All the usual hotel soaps and gels were provided plus a rather nifty and very good quality, tasty coffee from your room's pod machine. Check in was smooth and hassle free on both occasions. Breakfast was taken in the adjoining Juno restaurant and was wholesome and satisfying. The hotel provides a complimentary shuttle service every hour (and half hour on request) to the Ted Stephens airport. There is also a free shuttle running into central Anchorage at certain times. We were more than satisfied with our stay at this establishment and would not hesitate to recommend it to fellow travelers.

Room Tip: Rooms seemed to be well sound insulated. Ours was on the 4th floor on both visits.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
TMGAlaska, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Anchorage-Midtown, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Thank you for the 5 Star Trip Advisor review! I'm glad you enjoyed our Temple Spa amenities, we appreciate your business and hope to see you back again sometime soon.
Wisconsin
Reviewed June 15, 2013

Stayed in Anchorage for two nights before boarding a cruise. Booked through hotwire at a good rate. Location from airport is okay...but nothing much happening around the area so if you want to sight see downtown Anchorage, it might be better to get a hotel in the downtown area.

Comfortable bed, no free breakfast, okay internet. Requested a room on the 2nd floor but water pressure was weak in the shower. We were there on a weekend and our room didn't get made up until late afternoon.

Ate dinner in the bar-restaurant (Juno). Service was friendly but food was average and pricey.

Room Tip: Make sure to visit Snow City Cafe for breakfast or lunch, and Moose's Tooth for great pizza and...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
TMGAlaska, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Anchorage-Midtown, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a Trip Advisor comment. We appreciate your business and your candid feedback, it will allow us to better serve our guests needs.

In your service,