“Overall, A Bad Experience”
Review of Hilton Anchorage

Hilton Anchorage
Ranked #18 of 73 Hotels in Anchorage
St. Louis, Missouri
“Overall, A Bad Experience”
Reviewed July 22, 2006

I reserved a non-smoking double room about 2 moths in advance and I check in around 9 PM. I was informed that no more non-smoking rooms were available and was forced to accept a smoking room. The room was very old and in dire need of remodeling. The pool and workout facilities closed before I could get down there. The "Top of the World" restaurant was nice but was neither worth the money nor at the top of the world. Even with my coporate discount I still had to pay $211 for the sub-par experience. Stay somewhere else if staying downtown or if you can stay by the airport, the Millenium was a good hotel that I stayed at on the way out of Anchorage.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank sdcummi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (260)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 9, 2006

I checked into the hotel very late at night and was given perhaps the worlds smallest hotel room. The room was so loud- it was located next to the elevator shaft and you could hear the elevator all night. The best part was the view- there was one tiny window-- that had a view of a wall. Not the outside, but a wall-- not a wall across the steet- but a wall about 2-3 feet from the window.

I am allergic to down and had requested (when I made the reservations) foam pillows. My roon had a down blanket and down pillows, and when I called housekeeping I was told that they were out of non-down pillows and I should have requested non-down pillows when I made the reservation (which I did). I tried to sign up for the Hilton Hotel reward program and the front desk wasn't able to sign me up- they didn't know where the forms were.

Do NOT stay at this hotel.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled on business
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travelers are raving about these Anchorage hotels

Midland, GA
Reviewed July 8, 2006

We spent one night at the Anchorage Hilton befor our cruise on Regent Seven Seas Mariner departure in late June, 2006. From reading past reviews I went there not expecting much at all and was very surprised and wondered if others had stayed at another location!

The lobby is not large by any means, yet it was very well decorated for being in Alaska and carried this theme throughout the whole hotel.

We used points to stay at the hotel and our room number was 741. We had a great water view out of one large window and by the desk we had another large window where you could see directly to the city streets and lovely hanging flower baskets.

The bathroom is very small, but we made due for one night and the water pressure and hot water were both great.

The room decor was quite unique and made me feel like I was in Alaska - I rather enjoyed the multi colored bedspread in dark colors.

We didn't eat at the restaurant in the hotel because in a matter of a 5 minutes walk you were at so many shops and places to eat you had your pick. For dinner we had a drink and appetizer at Glacier Brewhouse (very good) and for breakfast we went to a local Cafe (the name I don't recall) also just a short walk from the hotel with very good sourdough pancakes.

The morning of our cruise the hotel bellman took our luggage and made sure it was delivered to the train station. This enabled us to walk to the train station just down the hill from the Hilton and we never saw our luggage again until we were in our suite on the cruise ship in Whittier!

We travel quite a bit throughout the world and felt this hotel was one we'd stay at again.

• Stayed June 2006
4 Thank SuzyQue
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 7, 2006

I stayed at this Hilton for 8 nights for a work event. I I travel a lot for work and often stay at mediocre hotels which have much better service than this Hilton. The only thing good about this hotel is the beds. They're great!

Cost: I stayed for government rate of $170 -- which was way overpriced

Service: The first 3 nights I stayed at this hotel I had to call housekeeping to clean my room. It was 8:30pm each night before someone actually came. I was also informed --after already waiting 30 min for ice cream that comes in a carton -- that each room service order takes 45 minutes regardless?!?!? Wouldn't it be nice if they told you that before you ordered something simple. I also needed to leave car keys at the front desk for a co-worker who was also staying in the hotel. The girl at the desk told me she didn't want to be responsible for keys! Hmmm.....I guess she thought herself incompetent. How difficult is it to put the keys in an envelope and put the guest's name on it and keep it on the desk till the guest comes to pick it up. On another occassion, another co-worker was chased out of the restaurant by a waiter who claimed she had written the wrong room number on her bill. After being drug up to the front desk and confirming that she--in fact-- had given the correct room number for the bill -- the waiter rudely grabbed the bill back and never apologized for thoroughly embarrassing my co-worker.

Cleanliness: The carpets are dirty, my bathtub had stains in it. The shower was backwards --so hot was cold and cold was hot. I could never get a good shower in because the water was either scalding or freezing -- and it switched from one temp. to another whenever it wished. There's tons of marks on the hallway walls and the place looks run down and dumpy over all.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled on business
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Riverside, CA
Reviewed July 4, 2006

We stayed one night at the Anchorage Hilton in June 2006 as part of a cruisetour. The room was clean but older-looking. The bed was quite comfortable (we got a good night's sleep), and the shower was fine. The sink is in the bathroom and has little counterspace, which makes it difficult to get ready in the morning. The Hilton was crowded with tour groups, and there was a long line at the elevators. The food in the hotel is quite expensive, and we were better off going across the street to a diner.

Stayed June 2006
6 Thank 4 Joyful Travel
Out West
Reviewed May 21, 2006

WARNING: DO NOT STAY in any room ending in "01" These rooms are located in the WEST TOWER and are located driectly above or immediately adjacent to (and I'm talking less than 6 feet) away from a large blower fan that never shuts down.

CAUTION: Test your Shower! Many of the rooms in the hotel were plumbed backward meaning that the Hot and Cold water pipes were switched in the pipe chase connecting the shower valves. And this hotel has one of those single knob anti-scald control valves (you know the kind that enable to cold flow and increase the water temp as you twist the knob) so the upshot is that the only way to get a warm shower (hot was not possible) was to have a mico-flow. Let's just say it took about 20 minutes to fill the tub.

The Exec lounge offers no beer or wine. When we went there at 6AM (it was supposed to be open) we found nothing was available -- we rummaged around and made our own coffee and found some Kudos bars.

The bar has reasonable service and the lobby restaurant was okay, but nothing to write home about.

• Stayed May 2006
6 Thank I-heart-Travel
atlanta
Reviewed March 13, 2006

The hilton in anchorage was centrally located in the downtown area, but that was about the only good thing about it. I stayed their at the conferance rate of $150. a night.After check in we found out they charged for internet, an extra 10$ a day! On two of the days I came back to the room at about 5pm to find out it had not been cleaned yet.I guess it wasnt a bad stay but way overpriced. I would recommend the brand new days inn down the st. free wireless, free breakfast, all for a third of the price.

• Stayed March 2006, traveled on business