“A great way to end our cruise vacation”
Review of Hilton Anchorage

Hilton Anchorage
Ranked #12 of 73 Hotels in Anchorage
Maryland
“A great way to end our cruise vacation”
Reviewed June 25, 2009

As with others, I was anxious about staying at this property. We were assigned here as part of our land-trip following a wonderful cruise. People on tripadvisor, and our tour guide who said she was surprised that our cruiseline would book this hotel (she recommended the Captain Cook) made me anxious that our last night would be our worst. Reality could not be further from that worry--we had two rooms (my parents stayed on the 12th floor with 2 queen beds, I was on the 22nd floor with one king) in the Anchorage Tower.

The rooms are huge and beautiful. Windows run almost floor to ceiling, and sheets and towels (not to mention pillows and other bedding) were wonderful. I, like another reviewer below, like my room on the cool side--the ac worked beautifully. The hotel charges for internet in the room, but they happily informed me (when I called to inquire) that the business center internet is free. . .that was much appreciated.

We ate the buffet breakfast in the hotel restaurant--the omelet man ups the ante on an otherwise boring breakfast--fruit was not very tasty, but pastries/muffins, etc were fine. Overall quality--5/10, but since it was included with the room--8/10.

I concur that the location is FANTASTIC. It's easy to walk around from this location, and it is right across the street from the weekend Market, which is phenomenal. It's also only a few blocks to the city center park (with it beautiful flowers) and cute shops and restaurants.

Finally, I found that the hotel's giftshop was more than willing to negotiate prices. That was unexpected, plus their prices were remarkably good ($15 for a sweatshirt, $30 for a lined water coat).

Honestly, I cannot understand what all the fuss is about either. . .I would not hesitate to stay here again, although it does seem that the Anchorage Tower is the "better" one until all renovations are complete.

thanks Hilton--and nice job!!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank lovemypup

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed June 23, 2009

This is roughly the equivalent of a motel 6. Not sure where the previous reviewers stayed but it could not have been this Hilton. Dirty, stinks like rotten eggs, thin towels , cheap bedding. Very tiny rooms - like an inside stateroom on carnival cruise line.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Anchorage hotels

Houston, TX
Reviewed June 10, 2009

I stayed at the Hilton Anchorage in May of 2009, and was really nervous and skeptical about the reservation after reading the horrible reviews, but I kept an open mind and am so glad I did not change my reservation.

The hotel staff were wonderful, and very accommodating. There was a bit of a issue with the air conditioner (I like my room on the 'chilly' side to sleep) and the desk sent somone up to fix it within 10 minutes. Room service was prompt. the room was clean and comfortable. I did not witness any of the problems that were mentioned in other reviews..... no dirt, mold or 'questionable' stains anywhere, even in the common areas of the hotel that I ventured into.

Most important, the location was excellent, and i felt quite secure there as I am a solo female traveller, and I would not hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
Fort Collins, Colorado
Reviewed March 18, 2009

The Hilton Anchorage I stayed in is very different than the one people have written about below. The hotel is undergoing a complete renovation, and I stayed in the Anchorage tower which is finished. The room was in excellent condition; the soft goods were new; the view was spectacular. I called for a robe, and it was brought right up. The people at the desk were friendly and efficient; the bell staff was very helpful with directions, suggestions, etc. The wake-up call I asked for happened at the correct time.
I ate only breakfasts in the restaurant, and they were very good.
The location is excellent, just a short block to main street and a short walk down to the train station.
I will stay there again, as my experience was very good.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank ProfSue
New York
Reviewed March 11, 2009

My experience at the Hilton Anchorage was horrible. A lot of the other reviews listed here are very accurate!

I will just list some of the problems we had:

1. The first hotel room my boyfriend and I were given had mold growing out of a big wet spot on the ceiling. There was rotting food found on the windowsill. Who knows how long it had been there. The smell was awful!
2. The second room they gave us was a bit better although the third day of our trip the hallway was covered with plastic and people were painting and there was dust all over! I went down the front desk to ask what was going on..and the front desk said knowone should be staying at that particular floor!! She didn't even know we were staying there!!
3. The ventillation thru out the hotel was really bad!
3. The hotel was very out dated!
4. Our keys to our rooms didn't work half the time.
5. The showers were not hot!
6. The room we had was located right next to a club and all you could hear was loud pounding music all night long!
7. We were there for the recent time change. The hotel said our clocks would be set a head an hour by themselves...but they WEREN'T.
8. Wake up calls never happened at the right times.

I would not recommend this hotel to anyone coming to the anchorage area! Please stay very clear of this place! We would have found a new hotel if we could have, but we had already paid for the hotel in advance.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank serenity9c
Usak, Turkey
Reviewed January 15, 2009

These pictures were taken from INSIDE room 272 at this hotel.
How bad is it when the windows leak to such an extent as shown.
You'd be better off in a tent!

• Liked — saying good-bye
  • Disliked — everything else
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank 4000_nights_plus
Alaska
Reviewed December 17, 2008

Dirty facility, noisy. Nice Desk clerk staff. Lax security. Really is an expensive dump. Stay at the Captain Cook. Better in every way!

I have stayed in both hotels many times and the Cook is so much better.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled on business