“Surprised at the poor reviews!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hilton Anchorage

Hilton Anchorage
Ranked #14 of 72 Hotels in Anchorage
Oregon
“Surprised at the poor reviews!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2008

I stayed at this hotel at the end of a Holland America land tour. I was in the Anchorage Tower facing the harbor and train station. I am really surprised at the poor reviews of this hotel. It is in an excellent location. Airconditioning works well and with the windows closed you can not hear the trains which seemed to disturb one reviewer.

Service was more than helpful, breakfast was good, room amenities were new and attractive, beds comfortable and room clean. The public areas of the hotel were attractive and well maintained.

I have no complaints at all about this hotel!!!!

• Liked — The stylish room amenities and location
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2008
1 Thank likehighend

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (241)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Vancouver, BC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2008

We come to Anchorage for business a couple of times a year - we have stayed in the Hilton now quite a few times. The service is always pleasant, and the room was very good. This time we were in the Anchorage Tower (as opposed to the West Tower), and found the rooms to be a bit more modern. Our room was simple, clean, and a great bed. We had room 1067 which was a corner room, and had windows on both walls and was very bright, which was great!

The location is excellent, two blocks from Nordstroms, a couple of blocks from the Coastal Trail (great for walking, running, biking), and very close to great restaurants.

We were a bit disappointed that they changed their breakfast menu to only having a buffet. Last year, they had an al a carte menu where you could order just the amount of food you want (not paying $15 for a bagel from their continental buffet, if you are not one to load up your plate, it is not a good deal). That said, they have a coffee shop right beside the restaurant and you can get that same bagel for $5, with a coffee.

The staff were always very pleasant, and we would recommend staying here for business.

• Liked — location, pleasant staff, good bed, clean rooms
  • Disliked — no a la carte breakfast menu
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
Columbia, South Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2008

Stayed one night (1st night) as part of Holland American tour. Room was small, some shabbiness, well worn - not what one expects from a Hilton. Hotel overwhelmed with Holland American guests and other tour groups (Carnival???) - multiple tours! Glad I was not there on my own. Would not stay here if not part of tour especially during peak tour season. Great location however, right downtown Anchorage with restuarants, museums, exhibits. Ok experience for one night.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — crowdedness
  • Stayed July 2008
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2008

The Hilton Anchorage must be one of the best located hotels in Anchorage. It is right in front of the tourist information center (aka the Log Cabin) where you can catch free shuttles to various attractions, two blocks away from the mall, plenty of restaurants within a 5 minutes walk, the list goes on. Granted Anchorage isn't the most scenic of all cities, my room did have a pretty good view of the sea and the city itself.

The rooms are undoubtedly dated, but they are nonetheless clean, very comfortable and it does provide for a good night's rest! Staff members were all very polite, helpful, and friendly!

I did have a corner room so I think mine was larger and roomier than a standard room so I cannot really comment on the size. I would imagine the standard sized rooms to be only a tad smaller so I don't see size being a problem. Bathroom size was adequate although there was very little counter top space for toiletries.

One complaint - walls are paper thin! I'm not a light sleeper so it didn't really bother me but I'm sure it will be a nuisance to some. There really isn't much the hotel can do because it's a very old building so I guess we'll just have to blame the early builders!

This is a large hotel with lots of tour groups and convention traffic, and often times, the lobby and public areas are all very crowded. Don't come expecting a high level of personalized service.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank andrew23
florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2008

We stayed here twice. One night before a cruisetour with Holland America and one night before our actual cruise. We arrived very late at night on our first visit so I was worried there wouldn't be a place to grab a bite for my hungry teen. I did not want to go outside the hotel in search of an open restaurant in an unfamiliar city at midnight. We tried the bar lounge and they were very accomodating and I would recommend the fish and chips or the wings.
I would describe the rooms on both occaisons as nice but not overly luxurious. Not the most spectacular Hilton I have ever stayed at that is for sure. However, the rooms served the purpose of getting us clean and giving us a good night's sleep before we headed off on our adventures. The views are okay but the city is not overly picturesque even though it is on the Cook Inlet so I sure wouldn't go here for the views.
In the morning, on the day of our cruisetour, it was very crowded in the lobby area with all the cruise and tour groups milling around. However, most of us were cleared out by about 7:30ish so if you were staying here on a departure date for HAL tours you might want to take this in to consideration.
The front desk staff suprised me by being quick to respond to my requests when I called. I thought maybe that with all the cruisers that I would be put on hold but that was not the case at all. The bell staff was also very efficient at this hotel. I guess with all the cruise guests that they are used to handling large volume quickly. Some of our bags did not arrive the night before our cruise from the airport and I was very concerned that we would be heading off without them. I reported them missing to both the HAL desk and the bell staff and was pleasantly suprised to find them delivered to my door prior to departure time the next morning.
One nice thing to know if you are there on a Sunday is that during the summer there is a very nice farmer's market just across the street. I only had a short time to wander through but it was a lot of fun. This hotel is also close to several resturants and shopping so you will not be stranded with nothing to do.

• Liked — Walking distance to things/ convenient
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank triptidbits
Sussex. England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2008

Friendly staff. Hotel could do with updating. Good business centre.
Good position.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2008

My stay at the Hilton Anchorage was unpleasant and I would not recommend staying there. Here's the condensed version of my stay:

Friendly bellmen, friendly service at check-in. Went up to the room and it was very average, if not below average, very dated. Both doors on the closet were broken and couldn't even be opened to get the iron or robe. There was a telephone wire run on top of the carpet, across the floor on one side of the room. I could hear everything on the street (cars passing, people walking and talking, etc.) despite being on the 12th floor. The room faced the train station and the train was VERY loud, with continuous horn blows almost every hour. I called to ask if there were any other rooms available and I was told they were sold-out for the entire weekend, but I could check again the following day. I woke up the next morning and found a check-out receipt under the door. I was confused because my reservation was for 3 nights. I called the front desk and was told that they only had me listed as staying for 1 night. I spoke with a manager and she confirmed that my reservation was for 3 nights, but I needed to be moved to a different room because the room I was in was part of a block reservation for that night. I asked that she give me an hour to get dressed and packed. I called back in an hour and was told that a bellhop was on his way to bring keys for my new room. I waited 30 minutes and nobody showed up. I called the front desk again to find out what was the hold-up and was told that the manager I previously spoke to was busy and would call back. I received a call back a few minutes later and was asked to wait 15 minutes for a bellhop to come with the new keys. After 15 minutes, I was escorted to my new room. This room appeared better, until realizing the loud sound of water moving behind the walls. I asked a cleaning lady down the hall of the room always sounded like that, and she said yes and that all the water for the ventilation system for the entire tower runs behind the walls for that room. I called 3 other hotels to see if there were rooms available, but everything was completely booked. I contacted the front desk explaining that I needed a better room. I was asked to bring my luggage downstairs for them to hold until another room was cleaned for me. A few hours later, I was given keys to a third room, which was much better and located on the top floor (22nd floor). At 5am in the morning, the fire alarm sounded. I quickly jumped out of bed, dressed, and grabbed important things. I once again noticed a check-out receipt on the floor when, again, my reservation was for an additional night, so they still hadn't gotten my reservation correct. As I was entering the stairwell, the alarm stopped. I was near my room, so returned and called the front desk twice....the line was busy both times.....so myself and 2 other people headed down 22 flights of stairs. We entered the lobby and nothing was going on. We approached the front desk to ask what happened and were very casually told it was a false alarm. We asked why there was no announcement or other notification and were told that they just realized that their PA system doesn't function correctly. We asked to speak to a manager and were told there were no managers there and the manager wasn't expected to arrive until 9:30am. I was offered a free breakfast buffet for my inconvenience, but I had already been given this due to the room moves I previously experienced. Needless to say, I was quite upset and frustrated with this hotel. I spoke with the head of security about their poor procedures and my entire experience at the Hilton. She said she would relay all the info to the manager once he arrived. The manager called my room after receiving the info and asked that I meet him downstairs when convenient to talk. I explained that I was just receiving my breakfast and needed to get some things done and would chat with him on my way out in a couple of hours. I went downstairs to chat with him a couple of hours later and was told he was offsite and unsure of when he would return. I decided to check-out at this point and had called the Captain Cook Hotel and they had a room available. I explained my situation to a lady at the front desk and she was very helpful....only charged me for 1 night stay at the Hilton and took off room service and valet parking charges. I then went to the Captain Cook, and loved it there. Service was fantastic, room was great (though slightly small bathroom) but had a great view and was quiet. I recommend staying at the Captain Cook Hotel!!!

• Liked — decent location near downtown sites
  • Disliked — incredibly poor service, dated rooms
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Travelers are raving about these Anchorage hotels