“Highs and Lows in the 49th State”
Review of Hilton Anchorage

Hilton Anchorage
Ranked #17 of 74 Hotels in Anchorage
Reviewed August 6, 2013

I stayed here two nights on business, but found time to mix pleasure, too. The lobby and breakfast buffet were good, with Jose being an exceptional waiter. The servers at our functions were good. And the food was good. But I couldn't open the closet door in my room all the way because the bed was in the way. And shampoo was missing on my first night, though it appeared in the second. Seems like a small thing, but I count on shampoo being there! I used the hotel pool; the temperature was great. But the locker room was pitiful. No shampoo there, either! Great location, with the market right across the street.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed August 5, 2013

We did a 3 day pre-tour stay at the Hilton in downtown Anchorage. It was horrid. The rooms were old, the carpet needed to be stretched back into shape or replaced as it had big ridges in it causing one to trip easily.The wall paper was coming apart at the seams. There was no counter space in the bathroom and no hair dryer to use. It reminded me of a Motel 6 type room, certainly not the $330 cost per night to stay there. For that amount of money, I expect far better.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Scott D, General Manager at Hilton Anchorage, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2013

Thank you for choosing to stay at our hotel and for submitting your recent review. We regret to hear about your disappointment during your stay with us. I sincerely apologize for the challenges you encountered and I urge you to please contact me if you would like to discuss these further. Our goal is to have each guest have an enjoyable stay and I am sorry we let you down. We are continuously striving to provide the best service to our guests and to enhance the overall experience. I hope that if travels bring you to our area in the near future, you will give us another opportunity to demonstrate the service you have come to expect from a member of the Hilton family.
Scott Doonan
scott.doonan@hilton.com

Reviewed August 4, 2013

This hotel is great. They had a weekend market with wonderful fresh vegetables and Alaskan wares right across the street. It's near the Alaska railroad, walking distance to restaurants, pubs souvenir shopping and the mall. Staff was great and quite helpful when needed.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room or you might hear the trains unless u don't mind it! It's nice to see...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

Stayed recently for 3 nights. Great location within walking distance of the train station, downtown shops and tours, liked the Veterans Museum and the City Tour as well as shuttle to culture center. Also I enjoyed the Fifth Street Mall. Bruins Lounge is great for a nightcap and snack.Jaime is a wonderful server. Downside was the hectic feel of the place and the front desk. Housekeeping glitches were not resolved. Maybe not the best value but it is convenient.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed August 3, 2013

I heard every conversation spoken on my floor, As people passed my room. If they were going to spend money on refurbishing the old building they should do some sound proofing. Also, I was told that my truck would not fit in the Hotel garage. But one block away was their parking lot and the top level was open so a truck could have fit in the lot

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Reviewed July 31, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here on the last night of a 14 day trip all over the Yukon and Alaska staying in reasonably priced rooms. After receiving great service and comfort at normal hotels we were looking forward to staying at the prestigious marque. They do not even provide free Internet let alone a included breakfast. This place is too fancy for me and I will not stay at a Hilton again. I even had to pay for a ride to the airport for my flight.

• Stayed: July 2013
Scott D, General Manager at Hilton Anchorage, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2013

We appreciate your review of your recent stay at our hotel. We apologize if the standard internet and breakfast charges were not clear when you booked the room. Guest feedback is incredibly important to us so we thank you for your review. I hope you'll come back someday in the future and give us a second chance. Thank you.

Reviewed July 31, 2013

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for a conference, and the facilities and service were generally okay and would have garnered at least an Average rating, except for one big problem, and you had better be aware of it: They apparently routinely overbook (according not just to our experience but also to others who related their experiences to us), and don't seem to have good plans to deal with it when it happens. (More below on my conjecture about why this happens.)

We arrived at the hotel after midnight after getting off a long connecting flight from Detroit, and were looking forward to going straight to our room and to bed (particularly because I had an early morning meeting at the conference in only a few hours). We found a collection of perhaps a dozen people in the lobby grumbling about waiting for a room, but we thought that they must have been walk-ins, since we had a guaranteed reservation. However, we were told that there was no room available for us either, but that rooms were being cleaned and that we'd have one within a half hour. When we were still waiting after an hour, we inquired again, and told that there would still be a significant wait for a room and that they were going to move us to another (lower class) hotel significantly farther from the conference and would pay for a cab to take us there (but with no offer of transportation back to the conference). I pointed out my problem with the early meeting, at which point (to the staff's credit) they took pity on us and gave us the next available room, which took perhaps another twenty minutes. The short night's sleep (really, long nap) didn't leave me very refreshed for the meeting, but it was still better than I would have had if I'd had to transfer to that more remote hotel and then find my way back to the conference.

There were other glitches in our stay, including a problem with the Internet, which the hotel did resolve by giving us free access to the Internet for the remainder of our stay.

My conjecture about how the overbooking comes about with this hotel: Anchorage is a gateway by air to the East, and planes come through there at odd hours, which translates to pilots checking in and out of their rooms at unusual times. (A few were checking out, and others checking in [and apparently getting priority for available rooms], during our agonizing wait for a bed.) I don't think the hotel really has a handle on how to deal with that irregularity, probably relying on some standard Hilton system that counts on something like a check-in-by-11-pm-check-out-by-10-am pattern for most of their guests, and they just can't keep our experience from happening. In any case, if you're not going to be arriving here early in the day and can't comfortably wait for some hours after the nominal check in time for a room, I have to recommend that you look for some other housing option.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience imposed during your recent trip. We truly appreciate your flexibility as we experienced an abnormal situation. I have shared your review with our team and we are evaluating our policies and procedures to ensure this situation does not happen again. Please call me directly so we can take extra special care of you the next time you are in town.
Scott Doonan