“Great location nice staff”
Review of Hilton Anchorage

Hilton Anchorage
Ranked #12 of 73 Hotels in Anchorage
Los Angeles, California
“Great location nice staff”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

This hotel is great. They had a weekend market with wonderful fresh vegetables and Alaskan wares right across the street. It's near the Alaska railroad, walking distance to restaurants, pubs souvenir shopping and the mall. Staff was great and quite helpful when needed.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room or you might hear the trains unless u don't mind it! It's nice to see...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Fayetteville, Arkansas
Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

Stayed recently for 3 nights. Great location within walking distance of the train station, downtown shops and tours, liked the Veterans Museum and the City Tour as well as shuttle to culture center. Also I enjoyed the Fifth Street Mall. Bruins Lounge is great for a nightcap and snack.Jaime is a wonderful server. Downside was the hectic feel of the place and the front desk. Housekeeping glitches were not resolved. Maybe not the best value but it is convenient.

• Stayed July 2013
Anchorage, United States
Reviewed August 3, 2013

I heard every conversation spoken on my floor, As people passed my room. If they were going to spend money on refurbishing the old building they should do some sound proofing. Also, I was told that my truck would not fit in the Hotel garage. But one block away was their parking lot and the top level was open so a truck could have fit in the lot

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Travelers are raving about these Anchorage hotels

Reviewed July 31, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here on the last night of a 14 day trip all over the Yukon and Alaska staying in reasonably priced rooms. After receiving great service and comfort at normal hotels we were looking forward to staying at the prestigious marque. They do not even provide free Internet let alone a included breakfast. This place is too fancy for me and I will not stay at a Hilton again. I even had to pay for a ride to the airport for my flight.

• Stayed July 2013
Scott D, General Manager at Hilton Anchorage, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
We appreciate your review of your recent stay at our hotel. We apologize if the standard internet and breakfast charges were not clear when you booked the room. Guest feedback is incredibly important to us so we thank you for your review. I hope you'll come back someday in the future and give us a second chance. Thank you.
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed July 31, 2013

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for a conference, and the facilities and service were generally okay and would have garnered at least an Average rating, except for one big problem, and you had better be aware of it: They apparently routinely overbook (according not just to our experience but also to others who related their experiences to us), and don't seem to have good plans to deal with it when it happens. (More below on my conjecture about why this happens.)

We arrived at the hotel after midnight after getting off a long connecting flight from Detroit, and were looking forward to going straight to our room and to bed (particularly because I had an early morning meeting at the conference in only a few hours). We found a collection of perhaps a dozen people in the lobby grumbling about waiting for a room, but we thought that they must have been walk-ins, since we had a guaranteed reservation. However, we were told that there was no room available for us either, but that rooms were being cleaned and that we'd have one within a half hour. When we were still waiting after an hour, we inquired again, and told that there would still be a significant wait for a room and that they were going to move us to another (lower class) hotel significantly farther from the conference and would pay for a cab to take us there (but with no offer of transportation back to the conference). I pointed out my problem with the early meeting, at which point (to the staff's credit) they took pity on us and gave us the next available room, which took perhaps another twenty minutes. The short night's sleep (really, long nap) didn't leave me very refreshed for the meeting, but it was still better than I would have had if I'd had to transfer to that more remote hotel and then find my way back to the conference.

There were other glitches in our stay, including a problem with the Internet, which the hotel did resolve by giving us free access to the Internet for the remainder of our stay.

My conjecture about how the overbooking comes about with this hotel: Anchorage is a gateway by air to the East, and planes come through there at odd hours, which translates to pilots checking in and out of their rooms at unusual times. (A few were checking out, and others checking in [and apparently getting priority for available rooms], during our agonizing wait for a bed.) I don't think the hotel really has a handle on how to deal with that irregularity, probably relying on some standard Hilton system that counts on something like a check-in-by-11-pm-check-out-by-10-am pattern for most of their guests, and they just can't keep our experience from happening. In any case, if you're not going to be arriving here early in the day and can't comfortably wait for some hours after the nominal check in time for a room, I have to recommend that you look for some other housing option.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience imposed during your recent trip. We truly appreciate your flexibility as we experienced an abnormal situation. I have shared your review with our team and we are evaluating our policies and procedures to ensure this situation does not happen again. Please call me directly so we can take extra special care of you the next time you are in town.
Scott Doonan
907-265-7118
Evansville, Indiana
Reviewed July 31, 2013

We arrived via train from Denali. We got in after 9pm and were departing the next morning at 6:45am on another train going south. We were exhausted and just wanted a few hours of sleep. I realize that with the arrival of trains, there are lots of people checking at once. However, the lobby was not only busy, it was absolute chaos! Getting an elevator was nearly impossible. When we finally got to our room, there was a "Do Not Disturb" sign on the door and it sounded like a TV was on. My husband knocked-no answer. He knocked again-no answer. After a third try he tried the key and it worked! Lo and behold there were clothes on the chairs and luggage in the room.
We met a bell hop in the elevator who checked his luggage delivery list and sure enough we were on the list for that room! YIKES! What if a honeymoon couple had been in there and they would've have tried to deliver our luggage?
We went downstairs and tried to wait in the long lines at the front desk to remedy the situation but finally after a 15 minute wait flagged down someone who got a manager to assist us.
The room was comfortable when we finally got there but WOW my first impression was NOT very good.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Hayling Island, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 29, 2013

We stayed here for 6 nights. Booked a club room on the 12th floor incl breakfast 9 months earlier on their website. On arrival were told this room was available, come back after 1pm, but then on returning suddenly it wasn't available, maybe it went to the many cruise people or airline pilots who were booking in, they said they would give us a junior suite, which was on the 6th floor opposite a seedy dive called the Wood Shed, where people started to gather early evening until 2am shouting and bawling, reception told us we could have some ear plugs, which we were already wearing. Couldn't get into club lounge for breakfast as now on the 6th floor and key didn't work, were made to feel by reception staff that we were trying to get something we were not entitled to. One even had the cheek to say do you know what a good deal you were getting here our cheapest rooms are now $304 a night. Yep that's why we booked it NINE months ago to get a deal! having an extra room didn't really cut as we were out all day anyway and didn't use it. Would have preferred the room we booked higher in the building away from the pub opposite so could get some sleep. We also had trouble with no hot water and had to keep phoning reception. Admittedly in the end we were given a new key so we could get into the lounge and get the breakfast we had paid for. The lady in there works very hard and was very nice, as were the cleaning staff and bell boys, they also need more staff in the Bruins bar as you could wait for ages as one poor girl rushes around. They need to do some customer relations training on the reception staff, as they seem to pick and choose who they will be polite too. We would not stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Scott D, General Manager at Hilton Anchorage, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Thank you for your review of our hotel. I would like to apologize for the noise issues that you encountered during your stay with us. When you come to a hotel you're expecting to get a great night's sleep and unfortunately we were not able to provide you with that. We are retraining our front desk staff to ensure the experience you had is not a recurring one. Again, I thank you for your review and I'd love to have you back to give our hotel a second chance.