“Terrible service, no hot water and locked out of the room 3 times.”
Review of Hilton Anchorage

Hilton Anchorage
Ranked #12 of 73 Hotels in Anchorage
Bratislava, Slovakia
“Terrible service, no hot water and locked out of the room 3 times.”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

I went to Anchorage for a conference and the organizer recommended this hotel as it was close to the conference venue. I made a big mistake staying here. I give you a chronological description of the events:

Day -5: Before the stay, I sent a couple of emails about my room preference and I did not receive any answer until I showed up at the hotel’s front desk. They guy at the desk grinned and said: Oh, answering your email question, Yes you can...(blah, blah), sorry for the not replying before.

Day 1: Their phone system did not let me make an 800 call from the room. I asked the front desk to solve this and I was treated as if I did not knew how to use a phone. I asked the lady to call the number herself and she couldn't either. She promised to fix this but she never did it.

Day 3: I was locked out of my room. The lock did not recognize my key anymore. I asked the cleaning lady to let me in to my room, but she said my room was empty as no guest was registered. She let me in to grab my jacket after I gave her a description of my stuff in the room. I went to the front desk to have this issue fixed and was told that there was no problem with my reservation. She said I was registered until the 19 of June at the 299 rate... I had a reservation until the 22 at 219 per night. I asked the lady in the front desk (Ms. Hall) to check the emails they sent me and she said I had to forward the confirmation email myself because she needed the written confirmation. I did so within 5 minutes and she promised to answer me fast because she checked her email “every 2 minutes”. I had to send 2 additional emails and make 2 phone calls to have her confirmation email sent to me.

Day 4: There was no hot water in the hotel during the whole morning! No drop of hot water at all. The staff apologized and were extremely kind but still, no hot water.

Day 5: Locked out of my room again. The person in the front desk hinted that my cell interference was to blame. I have an European SIM that did not work in the USA, so I had left my cell turned off in the room. No way this could be the reason.

Day 6: Again, locked out of the room! This time, I was going to the pool and was left in my swimming trunks outside my room. Also I could not access the pool as the card did not work there either. I called the front desk and eventually, they sent someone to let me in and gave me a new key.

Day 8: As I am checking out, I asked my bill to be printed and the lady at the desk apologized saying she did not know how to do that because she was new (at this point things were already hilarious)... Eventually someone came and printed my bill. Everything was in order except that they were charging me the call I never managed to do the first day! After a short explanation, they dropped the charge.

Overall, the staff was friendly but extremely inefficient. I had to chase them to get the things done right and they never answer emails. So, despite the friendliness, the service quality was overall very bad.

The hotel itself is in ok conditions, but the carpets could use some serious cleaning as stains are seen often (I do not recommend to be barefoot in the rooms).

The breakfast buffet is really poor, specially the fruit section (I mean other than the blueberries).

Overall, this is an overpriced hotel, with extremely bad service. You can get better deals in better hotels in the area, just take a look at Tripadvisor.

Room Tip: Any room outside this hotel
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Scott D, General Manager at Hilton Anchorage, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. We truly appreciate you taking the time to give us this feedback, as we are consistently looking for ways to improve the experiences of our guests. We apologize for all of the inconveniences that you experienced from check in all the way to check out. We strive to provide our guests with the most convenient and comfortable experience as possible, and we are sorry that this was not the case during your stay. We will certainly take all of your comments into consideration as we make future improvements to our hotel. We would love the opportunity to make it up to you, and we hope that you will consider staying with us again in the future. Please contact me directly at 907-265-7118 so I may take personal care to ensure your next stay is a success.
Scott Doonan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (253)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Southeast
Reviewed June 21, 2013 via mobile

We had been camping for 8 days and I had booked hotel room on points (first time) on the concierge level of hotel . As an elite member of Hilton imagine my dismay when I discovered that the hotel closes its concierge lounge at 10:00am on Friday and does not open again until Monday morning. We could have stayed at the Embassy Suites for about the same amount with more room and more services. Obviously, the owners do not think that weekend travelers are as important as those in the weekday.

Hotel was an average hotel, overpriced and crowded ( typical for Anchorage) but the staff made up for the drab, unimpressive ambience of the hotel! Cudos to them and raspberries to the owners!!!!

• Stayed June 2013
Thank you for your review of our hotel. We're so glad to hear that you found our staff to be so helpful! We'd like to apologize for the inconvenience of the Concierge Lounge being closed all weekend and hope that you'll come back to visit us again soon to experience it while it's open. Thank you again for your feedback!

Travelers are raving about these Anchorage hotels

La Mesa, CA.
Reviewed June 20, 2013

An older property, a bit tired with the stuffing coming out of an ottoman in room 622 where we stayed.

Breakfast was very slow in coming, to the point that the waiter comped a couple of items on the bill without being asked.

VERY high charge for internet access in the business center, this was "free" if not very good in the Fisherman's Wharf Hilton a week prior.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ted C
Scott D, General Manager at Hilton Anchorage, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at our hotel. We appreciate your feedback – especially on the ottoman, which we’re replacing as we speak. We apologize about your discontent regarding the business center internet charges. We do have complimentary wireless internet in the lobby which proves helpful to most guests that are only staying for a short time. We also provide complimentary access to printing boarding passes in the business center. Additionally, you'll be happy to note that we will be offering complimentary business center access to all guests in the near future. We hope that you have the opportunity to return to Anchorage and choose to stay at the Hilton Anchorage again. It would certainly be our pleasure to serve you.

As mentioned, we certainly appreciate your feedback.
ACT
Reviewed June 18, 2013

I'm not inclined ever to give less than two stars but the Hilton has successfully earned a one star rating with ease. No barman in the bar for at least five minutes after dinner, a restaurant that runs out of potato and serves mains at the same table at least 40 minutes apart, and, oh very sorry sir, NO HOT WATER IN THE WHOLE BUILDING. This being written on their very expensive wifi while everywhere else in Alaska it has been free. I shall be cutting up my Honors card when I get home.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank grangeview
Scott D, General Manager at Hilton Anchorage, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Thank you for your honest review of our hotel. I'm very sorry we were not able to provide you with the quality of services and amenities you deserve. We really dropped the ball during your stay and certainly apologize for the inconveniences that you experienced. I'd also like to apologize that you were not made aware of the cost of the internet during your booking. I will be sure to share you comments with our staff so we can better our overall guest experience. We really hope that you'll come back again and give us a second chance if your travels bring you back to Anchorage. Please contact me directly at 907-265-7118 so I may apologize directly.

Thank you.
Scott Doonan
Stephens City, United States
Reviewed June 14, 2013

Paid way too much for an average hotel in Anchorage. We stayed there because our land tour with Holland America began there and we didn't want to change rooms/hotels. When I booked online the receptionist was very curt when I asked if any discounts were available. The hotel did not look like a normal Hilton; it was old and just very average.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Vancouver
Reviewed June 13, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Hilton Anchorage for 3 nights before joining a Holland America land tour and cruise. The hotel is centrally located in downtown Anchorage making it very easy to get around. Street parking was available at night and on the weekends. Valet parking is also available for a charge. Our room was on the 14th floor and had a great view of the coast. It was quite spacious and very comfortable. We ate breakfast in the hotel restaurant on Saturday and Sunday as the Club Lounge was only available on weekdays. The breakfast in the club lounge was cold but very substantial, while the main restaurant offered a complete selection of hot and cold dishes.

The hotel is just across the road from the location of the weekend market which seems to draw a lot of interest. It is also very close to the main department stores and to the Museum which is excellent.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank nacnud88
Texas
Reviewed June 13, 2013

We arrived just in time for the snowfall in May and spent more time inside the hotel than we had planned. The personnel were friendly and efficient upon check in and made recommendations as we asked questions. The hostess for the HHonors reception area was exactly who needs to be there. Friendly, engaging and helpful, she is who we remember when we think of this hotel. For a good workout make sure to visit the gym. It is nicely designed with a variety of equipment. I had to check out early with a special need and the personnel took the time to find out what their policy was and to guide me through the process. I have stayed here before but for business so I didn't have much time in the hotel. This time I had the opportunity to stay in and enjoy it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that has windows facing either the water or mountains.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family