“Not so great Hilton”
Review of Hilton Anchorage

Hilton Anchorage
Ranked #16 of 74 Hotels in Anchorage
Reviewed April 23, 2008

I was in Anchorage on business and I figured the Hilton would be a safe bet. There aren't many nice hotel choices in the downtown area. My pros for the hotel are comfy beds, cool stuffed polar bear and brown bear display in the lobby. Cons are tiny bathroom, REALLY noisy radiator, shower didn't get hot, and the food wasn't that great. So judging from that, I think nextime I will try a different hotel.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Write a ReviewReviews (1,643)

Reviewed January 21, 2008

We were quite disappointed with our stay at the Hilton Anchorage several months ago. We have stayed at several Hiltons around the country and this was probably the worst one. Here's our rundown...

Rooms: Did not meet our expectations. Size was good, and beds and bedding were very nice. However, the carpet was dirty, the bathrooms were gross, the shower was small, and the tiles were moldy. The curtains were falling off the wall and the room was poorly lit. The only good thing in the room (besides the bedding) was the view of Anchorage, which was quite nice.

Hotel features: The entire business center was out of order during our stay there. The hallways on each floor left a lot to be desired; not only were they very plain, but there were old dishes from room service left out for hours. The elevators were somewhat scary - the trip down in the elevator felt like a roller-coaster because of how fast the car moved and then how suddenly it stopped. There was a Starbucks and a small breakfast place in the lobby that we did not try, and there was a small general store off the lobby that had daily newspapers from around the country and was overall very helpful.

Service: We did not see many employees during our stay; however, everyone we encountered was courteous and friendly.

Location: Perhaps the best part of this Hilton. The hotel is located in the middle of downtown Anchorage and there are great views from some rooms.

Overall, on a trip back to Anchorage I would not stay at the Hilton again. The hotel needs a complete renovation - it would have been nice 25 or 30 years ago but not so much these days. I'd recommend some of the newer hotels in the city instead.

• Stayed: September 2007
3  Thank sfka2427
Reviewed January 17, 2008

This is the 2nd time I have been to Anchorage in the last month on business. I decided to stay at the Hilton this time so I could get my Hilton Honors points. Big mistake! This hotel is really old and the decor is totally stuck in the 80's!

The good things...beds were comfy, nice bedding, room was clean (but old), valet and bell staff were nice and friendly, room service deliverer was very friendly, great location centrally located downtown.

The bad...the room is not set up for a business traveler - the desks are super small, very little lighting (one side of the room only has a desk lamp, that's it!), the shower head is super low and I had to duck down to rinse my hair (and I'm only 5'4 feet!)

WiFi in the lobby is a rip off! It's $2.49 for the first 15 minutes, then .59 cents a minute afterwards! Internet in the rooms is $8.95 per day (average).

Very run down hotel...I was tempted to check out and check into the Marriott down the street, but decided to stick it out so I can get my Hilton points.

The Marriott or Captain Cook hotels are MUCH nicer than this, and cheaper as well.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank elaine p
Reviewed October 2, 2007

I hadn't stayed in this hotel for years - it does not live up to Hilton standards, nor does it meet those of more moderately priced hotels in Anchorage (I stay at Microtel and Long House from time to time). The plumbing is bad. We couldn't get water above warm tepid in shower, but in sink the water at cold was almost scalding, with a periodic hiccup of fresh cold to tell you it wasn't just that the water in the pipe had been warmed. Towels were a riot - the first day of servicing room used towels and mat were taken, but not replaced. Then the two towels we had left and used the next day were replaced, but still no mat. The last morning of service we were down to one hand towel as well. A bit bizarre. The room just seemed run down (except new bedding with quilts) and not even enough room for a water glass, alarm and glasses on the bedside table.

But, my one try with room service was good - food and service. And the views are great and location good. Compared with my last stay at the Captain Cook a couple of years ago, I would pick the Cook for somewhat comparable location/pricing. Haven't yet tried newer Marriott and others in town.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank ConsiderateTraveler
Reviewed September 27, 2007

This is my second stay in this hotel (unfortunately) due to conferences. It will be my last. The pool was not working (again!). They say they have one but both times it's been 'down for repair.' The fitness room was also closed. I called 3 weeks ahead and asked for a room high and overlooking the water. They said they took care of it, but when I arrived, I was stuck in the back of the hotel looking at city rooftops (neither water nor mountains). The shower head hangs out of the wall and it's impossible to shower without getting a large pool of water on the floor. The food is terrible and overpriced. Stay somewhere else in Anchorage.

Stayed: September 2007
1  Thank mysterywriterNC
Reviewed September 17, 2007

It was sad to see what has happened to this once great hotel. When we checked in 2 a.m. after a long flight we were greeted by a disinterested front desk employee. We seemed to be bothering her as she was too busy talking to a coworker in the back. We were given a room in the west tower (although we requested the other) The room was a dirty mess. The walls were all scarred with a luggage marks and it smelled horrible. The room was so bad that we had to go back down to the same front desk clerk and seeing we were Hilton Honors Gold members she finally agreed to move us. We were suppose to get free breakfast coupons but she said "the computer has no record of this" We then showed her our itinerary that I had printed from the email Hilton sent me but she still would not give us the coupons. At 2 in the morning I decided I would discuss it with the manager in the morning.
Once in our room the view was speculator and the bed was wonderful. That is where it ends. The room was in need of fresh paint and curtains which were falling off the wall. The Bathroom is so outdated. The old tile in the shower even had mold in the grout. The water pressure was woeful but nice and hot. The toilet would not flush unless you held the handle down for 3 to 5 seconds. The place is just tired and in need of a serious makeover.
The hotel seems to be concerned only with getting as many cruisers in as possible knowing they will not be return customers. There are some employees that care, especially the doormen.
I have stayed at many hotels in Anchorage over the years and I can see why this hotel is ranked so low. There are much better options than this Hilton.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank gfourman
Reviewed September 12, 2007

Along with a group of 21 folks on a post-cruise tour, but independently arranged, we stayed pre-Denali and post-Denali at this hotel. Of the 7 people we knew well, all but one complained about various conditions and those who have gold membership in Hilton or better said it was unlike any Hilton they've stayed in . . . terrible.
1. The air conditioning did not work properly in several rooms. Our first room was so cold that it was unacceptable. Solution: After a second request two hours apart, a maintenance worker came to the room, removed the protective wall paneling and turned off the a/c; then, plugged in a small electric space heater and said in "1/2 hour it be 90 here." We didn't want it 90 and tried to tell him that. He said, "you have fresh air." The window wouldn't open. Naturally, we unplugged the heater promptly.
Two or three other couples had same or reverse problem, i.e. too hot, so he comes in and shuts down the equipment.
2. Non smoking rooms had obviously been smoked in. One person had a severe allergic reaction, being miserable on the trip to Denali. They do not enforce non-smoking rules. I saw a person standing in a non-smoking room with the window open smoking and attempting to wave the smoke outside then throwing the lighted cigarette out onto the roof below (fortunately paved with concrete pavers).
3. Some of the women working the front desk seemed unsuited for meeting public concerns.
4. The rooms we had in the West Tower were shoddy inside . . . carpets old, dirty and smelly in some cases. Wood furniture old and abused . . . one handle on night stand hanging down, finish off, chips from wood etc. Plenty of mildew around grout in bathtub added an interesting "touch of class."
On the plus side: breakfast (not included) was pretty good. Bellmen are very helpful. They work with Holland-America Gray Line tours and are very good about checking in baggage for several hours while we waited to go to the airport late at night.
But, try to stay elsewhere! The Cook seems very nice from walking through, but don't know specifically about the rooms.
The location is good for restaurants . . . walking distance to the Glacier Brew House (moderate and very good) and Simon"s.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with friends