“Clean, Comfortable and Convenient B&B”

Jewel Lake Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #74 of 127 Anchorage B&B and Inns
prov31girl
“Clean, Comfortable and Convenient B&B”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013

Jewel Lake is less than 10 minutes from the airport, is on a main thoroughfare in Anchorage and minutes away from stores, restaurants and the Seward Highway (AK1), the main road out of Anchorage. Another plus is that this B&B allows you to cook your own lunch or dinner in the downstairs kitchen. We didn’t take advantage of that feature, but it would be a great way to save $ on meals. When we travel, we usually stay in B&Bs, so I've stayed in dozens. I would say the decor here is less typical B&B and more "utilitarian". My hubby and I had one room and my sister another one - all in the basement. There is nothing fancy about this place - it's like staying at your nanas. Some reviews say the host is rude. We did not encounter that at all. Breakfast offered lots of options, nothing particularly gourmet or memorable. I would stay here again if I were in Anchorage. My blog has lots more info on stuff to do in AK - message me if you'd like a link.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Delaware, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012

We were very happy with this B and B. Close to the airport with late arrival available, beautiful place with homey atmosphere, nice room and bath, and wonderful eatting area, great porch, fresh muffins and cookies, and yummy breakfast fixed by Paul....we enjoyed talking with him in the morning along with the other guests...we highly recommend this place and would stay here again. Susan and Mike Ohio

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
minnesota
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2012

We (three golden girls) stayed two nights, Sept 1st and 2nd, 2012. Paul greeted us, but was quickly gone. The room did have comfortable beds, but when we were to turn in, the king sized bed had cracker crumbs on the sheets. They has obviously not been changed. To say the bathroom was quirky would be an understatement. The overall cleanliness of the house was poor.

The young girl who prepared breakfast was very quiet and not very interactive. The choice was waffles or an egg mcmuffin type sandwich. There were muffins and some fruit along with juice, coffee, etc. Not what you expect from a good B and B. We would not stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank maplelk
El Cerrito, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2012

The place is clean and nicely decorated. Room size is good. Close to the airport and park. There is a separate kitchen in the basement to cook a meal if you want.

For one, the establishment is not attended. #2 half the rooms are in the basement and ours was damp #3 when another guest called to complain that it was cold, he told them to put warmer clothes on. #4 alot of strong admonitory notes posted everywhere. #5 there are 2 way audio vidio cameras posted about. owner got huffy when someone covered the lenses. There are no notices that you were being watched. #6 if you want to do your laundry he charges $8 a load to use the on site machine. $8 is exorbinant. Overall, the hospitality that you expect, was not there. Owner vascilates between rudeness and being merely ok.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank quiltedb
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2012

We stayed at Jewel Lake B&B in late August and found it to be just exactly what we needed. We arrived in Anchorage at 12:30 a.m. so this B&B couldn't have been more convenient. It was 5 minutes from the airport and the owner, Paul, posted our paper with everything we needed to know right on the front door. He keeps a clean house and serves a good filling breakfast. His breakfast ends at 9:00 a.m. sharp. He has 3 rooms in the basement, including the Moose, Caribou,and blue rooms. There are 2 rooms upstairs as well just off the living room. It was a comfortable bed with a memory foam mattress cover. My husband didn't have any back pain, which made him very happy. There are plenty of restaurants and stores close by too. If you're staying in Anchorage this B&B will do just fine. If you're planning on driving farther like Homer, Denali, or Seward though you'll want to spend the night in one of those towns instead.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Homer, Alaska
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2012

Suite was fine, nothing really special but acceptable. I was awakened at 0600 by the owner telling my husband that I had only paid for 2 adults and that we were supposed to be in a different room. (We just happened to be in the room I had reserved). I was told that I was wrong and that I needed to present a copy of my confirmation, I did one better, I called the reservation company immediately and had them speak to the owner. The owner continued to be rude to us. A lovely way to have our relatives shown the Alaskan Spirit!!!! The owner NEVER so much as said that he had made a mistake, or was even sorry.

I will NEVER stay at this place again, and I would advise you to rethink if you stay there, be sure to bring proof of your reservation or they may attempt to squeeze money out of you first thing in the morning.

Would have been better off to have stayed someplace else!!

Room Tip: Choose a room somewhere else!!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank dlzopp
Saint Clair Shores, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2012

The owner was not there when we arrived, but he left a note taped to the door with a code for us to let ourselves in. I was disappointed to not meet the owner because I had read nice things about him in the reviews. The girl filling in to make breakfast was nice, but not very chatty. Our room was cute but rather small. Not room for much besides the bed. They had nice products in a basket in the bathroom for us to use (like shampoo, body wash, etc.). I thought it was a nice touch. I would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple